Author Topic: KU / Koll Question  (Read 1554 times)  

Offline shaunL

• View Profile
KU / Koll Question
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:14:42 PM »
My book is only in month 2 - so I am not seeing royalties yet under Koll / KU - but we need to make a decision about whether or not to stay kindle select.

In Feb - our page reads were a little over 30,000.  How do I estimate the royalties on that? 

John I. Rigoli & Diane Cummings | The Vaitcan Chronicles | facebook | twitter

Online G.L. Snodgrass

• View Profile
    • G.L. Snodgrass
Re: KU / Koll Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »
30,000 x .0045 = $135  (it might be more or less than .0045)

G.L. Snodgrass | G.L. Snodgrass

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »
My book is only in month 2 - so I am not seeing royalties yet under Koll / KU - but we need to make a decision about whether or not to stay kindle select.

In Feb - our page reads were a little over 30,000.  How do I estimate the royalties on that? 
Here is the easiest way without a calculator. (Or multiply the number x .005.)

Take off two zeroes. $300. (Which is a penny a page, or your page reads x .01). Then divide it by two. $150. That is probably the max you will get. Half a cent a page. If you think of a 100k book that is 500 KENPC, you sold 60 of them. You might make 2.50/book equivalent. That is $150.

For somebody with 3,000 pages, same thing. Take off two zeroes: 30. Divide by two: $15. Equivalent of six books at $2.50 each.

For somebody with 3,000,000 page reads, same thing. Take off two zeroes. $30,000. Divide it by two. $15,000. Equivalent of 6,000 books at $2.50 each: $15,000.

I laid out the math just because sometimes authors are not the greatest at doing math in our heads!

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:27 PM »

By the way, 30,000 is pretty good. Wish I had page reads that high. So, KU is working for you I'd say. Take that from someone that has been in it since KU1.

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
By the way, 30,000 is pretty good. Wish I had page reads that high. So, KU is working for you I'd say. Take that from someone that has been in it since KU1.

I agree. That's a good result. Not all-star bonus good, but pretty good for only a couple of months in. It's probably best to stick to KU for a while and not be bouncing back and forth between select and wide.

I see you only have the one book. Are you planning on a series? You'll see better results if you do. Sell-thru to books 2 & 3 can really add to your page reads if you're already at 30K.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:15:25 PM by Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' »

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline shaunL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »
The first draft of the second in the series is done - but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet (I am the content editor / fact checker / researcher) - it's not historical fiction, so the rewrites shouldn't be TOO awful. Julia took almost 9 months of rewriting, because though my authors had a good premise, they really didn't know their subject - and, I am a big nerd and actually did.  But, to make sure that their history AND their Italian culture was right, it was a big job.  This time it will only be contemporary religion and culture.

We are planning on releasing the audio book of book one is two months and the third book in three of four. - (Man makes plans.  God laughs.)

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »
The first draft of the second in the series is done - but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet (I am the content editor / fact checker / researcher) - it's not historical fiction, so the rewrites shouldn't be TOO awful. Julia took almost 9 months of rewriting, because though my authors had a good premise, they really didn't know their subject - and, I am a big nerd and actually did.  But, to make sure that their history AND their Italian culture was right, it was a big job.  This time it will only be contemporary religion and culture.

We are planning on releasing the audio book of book one is two months and the third book in three of four. - (Man makes plans.  God laughs.)

I have a plaque on my wall that says, "We plan, He laughs."  Of course, we plan anyway, don't we.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
I agree. That's a good result. Not all-star bonus good, but pretty good for only a couple of months in. It's probably best to stick to KU for a while and not be bouncing back and forth between select and wide.

I see you only have the one book. Are you planning on a series? You'll see better results if you do. Sell-thru to books 2 & 3 can really add to your page reads if you're already at 30K.

That is not a good result. On what planet is $130 for months of work and a professional cover (plus unknown other expenses) a good return on one's time? I would not double-down on something that's already losing by publishing more in this series.  This person sounds like they are trying to run a business, and this is not... a business. This can't even be breaking even.

If it was my book, I would not proceed with further books in that series. And I'd think long and hard before publishing another KU exclusive until I figured out what went wrong here.  Italian settings can do very well (think Donna Leon) but I notice she isn't in KU. It's possible some markets are better approached by going with a trad.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
That is not a good result. On what planet is $130 for months of work and a professional cover (plus unknown other expenses) a good return on one's time? I would not double-down on something that's already losing by publishing more in this series.  This person sounds like they are trying to run a business, and this is not... a business. This can't even be breaking even.

If it was my book, I would not proceed with further books in that series. And I'd think long and hard before publishing another KU exclusive until I figured out what went wrong here.  Italian settings can do very well (think Donna Leon) but I notice she isn't in KU. It's possible some markets are better approached by going with a trad.
Looks like the book is #1638 in the store right now on a Countdown deal, which means it is probably picking up a fair number of borrows, and as it is reasonably long, it should pay pretty well for a full read. Great, appropriate cover, excellent reviews, timely subject matter (female empowerment). I would sure give it a shot if it were my book. Pretty cool.

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 11:45:26 PM »
KU may work for some and not for others. I really can't see the reason for it. A post I made before asked for feedback on KU reading choices. One thing that came out is that it's reader-driven. People have their personal ways of selecting a book. Lady Luck is also a major player.

My very first book (Sept 2017) is now seven figures in reads after five months. It worked for me. Released a novella a week ago. Around 165 pages. Watching its KU reads. Mileage may vary from book to book or writer to writer.

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 12:00:43 AM »
KU may work for some and not for others. I really can't see the reason for it. A post I made before asked for feedback on KU reading choices. One thing that came out is that it's reader-driven. People have their personal ways of selecting a book. Lady Luck is also a major player.

My very first book (Sept 2017) is now seven figures in reads after five months. It worked for me. Released a novella a week ago. Around 165 pages. Watching its KU reads. Mileage may vary from book to book or writer to writer.

Wow. Fantastic numbers, congrats.

Do you mind me asking what sort of rank gets those sort of numbers?

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:06:24 AM »
Wow. Fantastic numbers, congrats.

Do you mind me asking what sort of rank gets those sort of numbers?

Thanks. Maintain being in the top 5,000 rank for 3 months. Then within 10 to 14,000 For another 2 months. Books 2 (4 months out) is in the 15 to 17,000 now and Book 3 (more than a month out) in the 5 to 6,000 rank. All have reached spots 1 to 3 of their subgenre. But what's important is the BSR rank. At least for me. Being no. 1 or 2 or 3 is temporary. Good for a day or so of marketing value.

ADD - Genre is fantasy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:09:50 AM by solo »

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:12:17 AM »
Thanks. Maintain being in the top 5,000 rank for 3 months. Then within 10 to 14,000 For another 2 months. Books 2 (4 months out) is in the 15 to 17,000 now and Book 3 (more than a month out) in the 5 to 6,000 rank. All have reached spots 1 to 3 of their subgenre. But what's important is the BSR rank. At least for me. Being no. 1 or 2 or 3 is temporary. Good for a day or so of marketing value.

ADD - Genre is fantasy.

Great information, thanks.

I've been around 7,000 since launch at the very end of January but have only just enrolled in ku and rank has shot up to 2,500. Hoping the reads follow!

I'm in mystery by the way

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 12:13:59 AM »
Great information, thanks.

I've been around 7,000 since launch at the very end of January but have only just enrolled in ku and rank has shot up to 2,500. Hoping the reads follow!

I'm in mystery by the way

You're welcome. And good luck to all of us.

Offline shaunL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 04:13:44 AM »

Parker - our book hasn't been out yet for 70 days - and isn't 'romance/erotica' genre (which is really a genre made for e-readers).  And of course we aren't breaking even yet.  And won't on the first book - in no way, shape, form, fashion - for a year or two or three probably.   While churning out romance / erotic novels and releasing one every few months is a solid business model, this book is religious / historical fiction - not gay erotica.  You are comparing apples to oranges.

And I sold 170 books yesterday. On one promo.

Listen, I am new to the whole book promo world (clearly), but the authors I work for have other specific intentions for their work that just printing one and moving to the next.  If under a different pen name, you wanted to write a book about gay politics during the AIDS epidemic (which would take massive time and research) - would that book be 'unworthy' because it was dense, difficult to read, unsexy, and didn't lend itself to late-night downloads?   When I am reading erotic stuff - which I ALWAYS do on my kindle (I never buy paper for that purpose) - I will download everything of an author I like - and pretty much read it in a day or so, then download the next.  But I don't kid myself that 'The MarketPlace' is the same business model as 'The Band Played On' - you know?

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 04:31:11 AM »

Do you have another book, because the one in your signature isn't in Kindle Unlimited.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:06 AM »

Well, it's ranking 1500 paid in the US store, so it must be getting a lot of sales as well. that $135 isn't the entire income.

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:35 AM »
Do you have another book, because the one in your signature isn't in Kindle Unlimited.

It is for me...

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 04:38:23 AM »
It is for me...
My mistake. The link, of course, takes me to the .com store and I'm in the UK so it doesn't show. Carry on everyone, don't mind me.

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 04:40:49 AM »
My mistake. The link, of course, takes me to the .com store and I'm in the UK so it doesn't show. Carry on everyone, don't mind me.

;D

Online Evelyn Alexie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »

This got me thinking. If you were a newbie author just releasing your first book in KU, would you give up on the book after the first month if you didn't break even?
How long would you give the book before throwing up your hands, throwing in the towel, and throwing out the remaining books in the series?
I read about people giving themselves 6 months to "get traction" when going Wide. Is 1 month the accepted length of time for KU?

Not asking for a friend.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
This got me thinking. If you were a newbie author just releasing your first book in KU, would you give up on the book after the first month if you didn't break even?
How long would you give the book before throwing up your hands, throwing in the towel, and throwing out the remaining books in the series?
I read about people giving themselves 6 months to "get traction" when going Wide. Is 1 month the accepted length of time for KU?

Not asking for a friend.
I've been in select since I started and the one time I went wide, it was the most depressing time. The book in question here is ranking high at the moment, so sales are doing excellently, even if page reads are not. I think success in KU depends a lot on genre.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »
Parker - our book hasn't been out yet for 70 days - and isn't 'romance/erotica' genre (which is really a genre made for e-readers).  And of course we aren't breaking even yet.  And won't on the first book - in no way, shape, form, fashion - for a year or two or three probably.   While churning out romance / erotic novels and releasing one every few months is a solid business model, this book is religious / historical fiction - not gay erotica.  You are comparing apples to oranges.

Listen, I am new to the whole book promo world (clearly), but the authors I work for have other specific intentions for their work that just printing one and moving to the next.  If under a different pen name, you wanted to write a book about gay politics during the AIDS epidemic (which would take massive time and research) - would that book be 'unworthy' because it was dense, difficult to read, unsexy, and didn't lend itself to late-night downloads?   When I am reading erotic stuff - which I ALWAYS do on my kindle (I never buy paper for that purpose) - I will download everything of an author I like - and pretty much read it in a day or so, then download the next.  But I don't kid myself that 'The MarketPlace' is the same business model as 'The Band Played On' - you know?
Hmm. I sympathize per post above and think the book is doing quite well as long as nobody went into it expecting to get rich quick, which it sounds like you did not. Early days and all that. But I would be careful about using phrases like churning out and throwing books up. Plenty of authors research a lot, write books they are passionate about, and still put out a novel every few months. (I do, for one.) Check out Libbie Hawker. Big in historical fiction, fast writer, very well reviewed.

Which does not mean that you have to do it that way. I am not as fast as Libbie, that is for sure. But I wanted to mention that those phrases can put people off. The writing fast means it is crap thing is sort of a hot button.

Congrats on the promo.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »

Not asking for a friend.
I would say that a performance like the OPs, response to a promo, is a good sign that you are on the right track. If your book does NOT respond to promo, there could be something missing in premise or presentation. If it responds and then falls off hard, there may be something missing in product.

Offline shaunL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »
I would say that a performance like the OP’s, response to a promo, is a good sign that you are on the right track. If your book does NOT respond to promo, there could be something missing in premise or presentation. If it responds and then falls off hard, there may be something missing in product.

Sorry if I offended (still, 2 - 4 books a year IS churning out - even if those books are brilliant.) My response might have been a little snotty because as a side gig I have 'churned out' erotica in the past.  And I was good at it.  But - it was still churning out erotica as quickly as possible for the fastest possible ROI.  Doesn't mean there isn't pride in the work - but it isn't quite the same thing as heavily researched biblical scholarship.... and my political sensibilities get totally offended by the idea that every creative, literary,  artistic or academic subject is only successful if it results in a positive ROI within 60 days or less.  Of course, we do want this book to eventually make money - but if  this book changes hearts and minds, that is really the intended ROI.

I know a lot of writers and artists who never make a lot of money - but write what they care about.  And in my mind, that is what successful is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:01:09 PM by shaunL »

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »
Sorry if I offended (still, 2 - 4 books a year IS churning out - even if those books are brilliant.) My response might have been a little snotty because as a side gig I have 'churned out' erotica in the past.  And I was good at it.  But - it was still churning out erotica as quickly as possible for the fastest possible ROI.  Doesn't mean there isn't pride in the work - but it isn't quite the same thing as heavily researched biblical scholarship.... and my political sensibilities get totally offended by the idea that every creative, literary,  artistic or academic subject is only successful if it results in a positive ROI within 60 days or less.  Of course, we do want this book to eventually make money - but if  this book changes hearts and minds, that is really the intended ROI.

I know a lot of writers and artists who never make a lot of money - but write what they care about.  And in my mind, that is what successful is.
Agreed. Everybody does this deal for their own reasons. Good luck with the project.

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »

Yeah, I can only speak to my own experience. If I'm writing a dense, heavy book about gay politics, I'm never putting it in KU, and I'm charging an appropriate price for it. Many of my friends IRL write serious and academic nonfiction, and they're never putting it in KU either. That's setting money on fire to make Bezos a billionaire, which helps no one, not even Bezos, since he's already a billionaire.

However. I'm not writing a heavy book on gay politics for students who are forced to pay $30 to buy the book because their professor said so.  I'm not the most tactful person so let me see if I can try again to explain why I wouldn't write more in this series after your result.

It's basically because there's a cliff on Amazon. I write romance, and the cliff is a few weeks. It's like opening a new club. If the club doesn't hit the first night, it's out of business in months, because if you can't even create excitement when it's new, it's toast. That's just the way it is. If your genre allows for investing for weeks and months and later on there will be a return, that's great, but in my genre, that isn't the way it works. If it flops, you move on, because there's no use pouring good money after bad.

My first novel broke even the day it was published, so it's hard to say. You never really know how you're going to react to a painful situation until you're in the situation. My plan was that if the book didn't sell x number of copies, I would go back to writing fanfiction. The book outperformed expectation right away, and I never really had a tough choice to make. So, yeah... easy for me to talk, I guess.

I assume if I'd sold so poorly right out of the gate, I would quit writing for publication to Amazon. That was the plan, anyway. My understanding of Amazon's algos is that a weak launch has lasting implications, but no one really knows for sure.

My first novel was wide, and I do better wide overall. There's a lot of peer pressure in indie gay fic to go KU so everybody's different but being in KU was the opposite of helpful. I was better off before I knew about any of the indie publishing sites or KU or any of it!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:02:37 PM by ParkerAvrile »
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »

Meh, you were addressing me in the "churning" comment, and I wasn't a bit offended, so don't worry about it. I've already noticed I write a lot...

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
Romance does not necessarily have a huge cliff on Amazon or KU. Perfectly possible to have sticky books in KU. My third-bestselling book overall is a completely non-trendy romance/contemporary fiction/almost-historical-fiction book that's still going strong after 5 years, even though the series has been complete for 4 years. I tried the series wide and it did nothing, because it doesn't appeal to an iBooks or Google Play audience (which skews younger, esp. in romance, from what I know).

For a less crowded genre, I think that's even more true.

I'm putting that out there for the OP and anybody else who might be interested. You really have to try things for yourself and see what works, because it's all so very YMMV.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:20:33 PM by Usedtoposthere »

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
Two to four books a year is "churning." Oh, that's a lot of writers here...  LOL.

Add - there is a huge difference in writing fiction and non-fiction.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:47:34 PM by solo »

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
Two to four books a year is "churning." Oh, that's a lot of writers here...  LOl.
Yeah, wasn't even gonna address that. People can think what they like about romance or whatever genre they're aiming at. But I already offered the example of Libbie Hawker, who puts out a historical novel--in completely different settings/eras!--every three months or so, and does very well both as an indie and for Lake Union. She is first and foremost a literary fiction author, and I don't think many people have discounted her writing or research chops. :) Libbie is seriously awesome. At least, I'm in awe!

To do really well as an indie (note I mean "financially"), you most likely do have to be able to write at a 4 novel/year pace. But as the OP says--plenty of other reasons to write. Everybody needs to determine their motivation for themselves. it's important to be honest with yourself about what that is, IMHO.

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:41 PM »
Yeah, wasn't even gonna address that. People can think what they like about romance or whatever genre they're aiming at. But I already offered the example of Libbie Hawker, who puts out a historical novel--in completely different settings/eras!--every three months or so, and does very well both as an indie and for Lake Union. She is first and foremost a literary fiction author, and I don't think many people have discounted her writing or research chops. :) Libbie is seriously awesome. At least, I'm in awe!

To do really well as an indie (note I mean "financially"), you most likely do have to be able to write at a 4 novel/year pace. But as the OP says--plenty of other reasons to write. Everybody needs to determine their motivation for themselves. it's important to be honest with yourself about what that is, IMHO.

I guess I have to remember that word the next time a story grabs me by the neck and doesn"t want to let go. For a great many of writers, stories write themselves. Oftentimes, they take a life of their own, arrogantly departing from whatever story structure you"ve planned for it. A lot of stories demand to be written. Brats.

Offline shaunL

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
I think it really depends heavily on both genre and on the writer.  Our first book was heavily steeped in non-fiction - and when it came to the biblical scholarship,  it was important to be able to make compelling and historically accurate arguments regarding minutia of - say - the Jewish diaspora after the fall of the temple, the history of the Jewish tax, and the predominance of women in position of political power in both Ephesus and Corinth, as well as  the latest encyclicals and papal position statements regarding the status of women within the Church. 

The next book - thanks be to God (or Goddess) - is only contemporary Vatican politics regarding the Vatican bank.  :)  That shouldn't be too tough. 

Listen, I do know books that write themselves, each word flowing out.  I also know authors who suffer each word, each phrase, looking for the most perfect sentence and who torture themselves as a part of their process.  I admire authors who can do 2-4 books a year.  I also admire authors who work for  a year and more to tease every nuance until they feel they have what they set out for.  I don't think there is a right way (though I can see that the 4 book a year model is far more likely to pay the mortgage!)