NetGalley

Author Topic: How do you leave KDP  (Read 576 times)  

Offline locker17

• The Bay Area
    • View Profile
    • http://www.locker17.com
How do you leave KDP
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:02:14 AM »
I found some minor errors in my book and re-published it on Amazon. Then I decided to do Smashwords because I tried KDP and it did nothing to improve my sales. (I don't really have the money and time to play all the games, it's free, it's not free, here's 1000 dollars for you to try and "sell" 2 copies of my free book.) Anyway this book has been up for years. So I do the PITA process to get it on smashwords then when I see it's live on Amazon, I notice it's still in KDP, and doesn't stop until April. Is there a way to get it off sooner?

Also I'm getting a new one ready and people keep saying there's no createspace, but I'm finding it  just fine. Is the new KDP paperback thing the same as KDP? Will I have to be exclusive on Amazon to have a paperback? I'm feeling confused, since I'm not a series writers who puts out a lot of books.

Have you seen Ricky? Find him today.
Shannon Brown | website | blog

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
Re: How do you leave KDP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:33:56 AM »
If your book is in KDP Select it has to be exclusive to Amazon for the full 3 months, and Amazon will automatically re-enroll the book at the end of every 3 months unless you go into the book details on your dashboard and uncheck the auto-enroll box. Some people have had luck emailing KDP support and requesting to be let out early but, generally, once you're in you're in until the end of your enrollment period.

As for Createspace, it still exists and lots of us are still using it. There's talk that it may shut down at some point in the future, because KDP Print makes it a little redundant. But for now it's still with us and could be for a long time yet. On your KDP Print question, paperbacks don't have to be exclusive to Amazon. Select is only for ebooks, so you're fine there. However, I haven't used KDP Print myself, so don't know whether they've ever come out with an expanded distribution option. Maybe someone who's followed them more closely can answer that.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:07:44 AM »
I found some minor errors in my book and re-published it on Amazon. Then I decided to do Smashwords because I tried KDP and it did nothing to improve my sales. (I don't really have the money and time to play all the games, it's free, it's not free, here's 1000 dollars for you to try and "sell" 2 copies of my free book.) Anyway this book has been up for years. So I do the PITA process to get it on smashwords then when I see it's live on Amazon, I notice it's still in KDP, and doesn't stop until April. Is there a way to get it off sooner?

When you joined Select, you agreed to it's TOS, which is that your books in Select are exclusive to Amazon. By going the Smashwords route you are in breach of contract, and at best will get a nasty gram from Amazon when their bots find your book elsewhere -- and they will -- or at worst, they will ban/close your account.

Untick your Select agreement, and when that is done in April, go wide however you want.

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 06:51:38 AM »

Are you looking to remove it from Amazon entirely, or are you talking about removing it from Select (which makes it available in the KU program)? If you want to remove the book from Amazon, just click "unpublish" and it will be removed from sale on Amazon usually within an hour.

If you are currently enrolled in KDP Select (making it available in the KU program), your book is under agreement to remain exclusive to Amazon for the term of the contract you agreed to (as Carol said). You have to un-check the re-enrollment box on your KDP dashboard for that book if you don't want to enroll again; you can't remove yourself early in the middle of a term without intervention from KDP. You can still unpublish the book and remove it from sale on Amazon, but you are still actually under the contract terms until it expires and still cannot publish it wide. So like has already been mentioned, you can contact KDP and they may agree to remove it from Select early.

Offline locker17

• The Bay Area
    • View Profile
    • http://www.locker17.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
They removed it for me. I think I forgot how kdp worked, because I always thought it was you have to be exclusive for a while then you could do as you please. I didn't realize you had to leave it completely and it would re-up by itself. I'm getting a new book ready and I'm trying to be more pro-active again. I tried the promotion route ages ago but my books don't seem to fit neatly into the categories they like. I've actually had fiver people refund me because no one was interested.  :(

The books are young adult/new adult music humor. I have no idea how to promote them on a shoestring, so I get frustrated and grumpy sometimes. Time change didn't help.

Have you seen Ricky? Find him today.
Shannon Brown | website | blog

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »
They removed it for me. I think I forgot how kdp worked, because I always thought it was you have to be exclusive for a while then you could do as you please. I didn't realize you had to leave it completely and it would re-up by itself.

Just as a point of clarification, you have to be exclusive if you're in KDP SELECT. If you're just in regular old KDP, it's fine to be wide.