Author Topic: Multiple sales per click on AMS ads  (Read 587 times)  

Offline FanReads

• View Profile
Multiple sales per click on AMS ads
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:25 AM »
Hey all!
I was just reviewing my results for a recent AMS ad campaign and I noticed that several keywords show a single click with multiple (2-3) Kindle sales? This doesn't make any sense to me. Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone explain? Thanks!
Keith

Do you need a guidebook for life?
Keith McArthur | Blog | Twitter | Book Club | Podcast (iTunes)

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: Multiple sales per click on AMS ads
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:35:05 AM »
AMS loves to pat itself on the back for any sales that result from your ad click. There's a time window where it attributes a sale of your item or your co-authored item or your co-authors' item to that ad. I guess if someone went hog wild and bought multiple books, it would do an internal fist pump and yell 'Score!' and tack that onto the keyword as credit for a job overly well done.  ;D

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 06:51:39 AM »
I've had this happen with books in my series of graded readers for children.  I assume they are people, perhaps teachers, buying multiple copies for their children.

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline FanReads

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
Thanks! The strange thing about this is it's multiple Kindle copies of the same ebook that have been purchased.

Do you need a guidebook for life?
Keith McArthur | Blog | Twitter | Book Club | Podcast (iTunes)

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
Reporting has been screwy for me since the weekend - either that or 14 new, active campaigns just stopped serving simultaneously.

Either way, clicks and impressions and sales are all reported at different times so it's conceivable that delays in, for example, reporting clicks but not sales could cause weirdness like this.

It's AMS, anything goes...
Stuff for writers thisaway

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
Either way, clicks and impressions and sales are all reported at different times

Yep. I usually pull my stats in the morning ... which is a really good time to be depressed by AMS since sales seem to come in later. 

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »
Hey all!
I was just reviewing my results for a recent AMS ad campaign and I noticed that several keywords show a single click with multiple (2-3) Kindle sales? This doesn't make any sense to me. Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone explain? Thanks!
Keith

Didn't I read somewhere that the sales number includes any sales made after the click? So if they click through to your book, and then click an also-bought and buy that, the sale appears on your statistics. So even though there is 2-3 sales there, they might not even be of your book.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
Remember when you first started the ad, and were getting clicks, but no sales? The sales were likely happening, but the delay in sales reporting is ridiculously far behind the cost update. That continues until you pause the ad. When you pause it, clicks will cease immediately, but wait a day or two and sales will keep showing up.

In other words, the single click was very recent, but the three sales could have been from two days ago. They never match up, until a few days after pausing it. Then when you restart it, the same thing happens again.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag