NetGalley

Author Topic: Putting a "soundtrack" at the end of the book (Part 2)  (Read 214 times)  

Offline Eric S. Kim

• Southern California
  • Keep Writer's Block in the Friend Zone
    • View Profile
Putting a "soundtrack" at the end of the book (Part 2)
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
Recently, I made a post about how I was going to put a "soundtrack" in the back of my books. I would make a list of modern rock/pop/hip hop songs (as well as certain pieces of classical music) that would inspire me while writing my novels. Several of you, however, have noted that most readers wouldn't really care about what I listen to. So instead of putting them in the back of the book, I'm thinking of adding them to my own website. Whenever I get the chance to, I'll create an author website and I'll create a page for supplemental material. There, I will add the soundtracks for each sci-fi/fantasy series just in case any of my potential readers are interested.

Sound good?
Riders From The Sky (Raveera's Reign, Book One): 0%

Blackjack Troopers (Quintana's Campaign, Book One): 20%

Ways of the Wild (Quintana's Campaign, Book Two): 0%

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
Re: Putting a "soundtrack" at the end of the book (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
There are no rules to this. How does anyone here know what your fans like?

I know in my first book I had references to paintings, sculptures, music, etc. - I took them all and listed them on my website and a lot of readers thanked me for it. They thought it was really cool seeing all the items referenced in the book.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have put them at the back of the book. May still do so in the future if I can stop being a lazy sob.

Point is, it's YOUR product, do what you think people would want. You know your audience better than any of us do.

I mean, based on kboards you should be writing 21 books in the same universe, adding another 50 spin offs with coauthors, make it all about glowing hands, and reuse tons of content inbetween books to maximize your KU payout.

Chart your own path  ;D

Offline Rosie Scott

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • War. War never changes.
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
I agree with Seneca about doing whatever it is you want to do. However, let me add that I have also done exactly what you are suggesting. My website has all manner of supplemental material for my books (maps, artwork, glossaries, Easter eggs, etc.) and I added a soundtrack to my fantasy series just a few months ago. It's a link that leads readers to a YouTube playlist that I created and I list there which songs are for battle scenes, death scenes, miscellaneous, etc. I wasn't sure if anyone would care, but it's gotten quite a few hits, so there are readers who click through to it.

Most readers may not care about your inspirations, but those who care about lore and other such things usually do. The same people who click through to the soundtrack on my website also check out the other pages and submit fan art. I'd highly suggest you fill out that author website with other cool stuff as well. It's a fun thing to do, and it's nice to have lots of things for readers to feast on while they're waiting for the next book.  ;)

Dystopian/sci-fi/fantasy. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
Create a soundtrack/playlist list on Spotify and then you only need a single link at the end of your book, and the songs will play in order and (on some devices) in the background, if you want...

On your website you can create a proper list and the Spotify playlist link.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline AisFor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
Create a soundtrack/playlist list on Spotify and then you only need a single link at the end of your book, and the songs will play in order and (on some devices) in the background, if you want...

On your website you can create a proper list and the Spotify playlist link.

This is a good idea. I like seeing authors' soundtracks. If I've really enjoyed a book, I'll usually be intrigued by the author, so it offers me an interesting insight into their lives.