NetGalley

Author Topic: Audio Book Sales?  (Read 953 times)  

Offline Carey Conley

• View Profile
Audio Book Sales?
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
A supplemental platform is always nice, but is anyone really making much money off audio book sales?

Carey Conley

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Book Sales?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:12:06 PM »
A supplemental platform is always nice, but is anyone really making much money off audio book sales?

I do okay.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »
It's another income stream but it does cost a lot to get an audiobook produced.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:47:01 PM »
Interesting thread for a lot of authors who haven't yet gone the audio route, I would think.  (I haven't).  It would be good to know if anyone is making a mozza out of audio books.
Rita Lee Chapman

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:32:28 AM »
As others have said, it is a nice little stream of income that you can build on. My first audiobook came out in October and, from Oct 17 - Jan 18, Ive made approx $250. Not a huge amount at all, but my second audiobook has just come out and is doing fairly well, so I expect that monthly income to improve. Third book is in the pipeline.

I think, for most of us, it would be a case of steady releases to build your catalogue. Each book would give you a few sales per month to create a nice side stream.

Incidentally, you can use ACX to split royalties with a producer and therefore dont pay anything upfront. I found my producer that way, and he is amazing (will be working together on all my books going forward).

Also, when you have an audiobook ready, if you use ACX, contact them for your free codes and get them out to your mailing list (possibly in exchange for an honest review). Think you get 25 US and 25 UK, and they are great for getting that little push out of the gate.

Up-and-coming horror author and future King of the World.
Lee Mountford | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:55 AM »
I've managed to release 25 audiobooks since they opened the door to Canadian authors last September.

I make a bit of money every month.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:26:15 AM »

I used to make a killing. These days audio is around 20% of my income. To make it clearer, KDP is 40%

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 03:46:42 AM »
My audiobook income fluctuates between 20% and 60% of my monthly. But I'm a unicorn.

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 04:13:53 AM »
I made back $4000 in production costs in the first two months (non-exclusive, so that's at the lowest royalty rate). I'm sinking the same $4K into the next audiobook currently. My projection for the year is $20K in production costs and $40,500 in royalties, freely acknowledging it's early days and could turn either way. After marketing, there's still a profit, but it's not "Let's do audiobooks full time!" money.

It must be noted there's no associated ebook allowing Audible to give away the $25 audio for pocket change with a 99-cent first-in-series ebook purchase, so I've effectively instituted price control in a way someone looking at audio as secondary to ebooks and print might not be able to do. Given the expense, my goal was to maximize return on audio and reserve high-margin formats until audio sales dwindle to almost nothing. It's not the strategy for everyone, but I can afford to experiment under a new pseudonym and see how it goes.

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:00:52 AM »
I made back $4000 in production costs in the first two months (non-exclusive, so that's at the lowest royalty rate). I'm sinking the same $4K into the next audiobook currently. My projection for the year is $20K in production costs and $40,500 in royalties, freely acknowledging it's early days and could turn either way. After marketing, there's still a profit, but it's not "Let's do audiobooks full time!" money.

It must be noted there's no associated ebook allowing Audible to give away the $25 audio for pocket change with a 99-cent first-in-series ebook purchase, so I've effectively instituted price control in a way someone looking at audio as secondary to ebooks and print might not be able to do. Given the expense, my goal was to maximize return on audio and reserve high-margin formats until audio sales dwindle to almost nothing. It's not the strategy for everyone, but I can afford to experiment under a new pseudonym and see how it goes.

Just to clarify, how can there be no associated ebook? Audible doesn't do standalone audiobooks as far as I understand it. There has to be a print or ebook version. Is it only print? What genre, by the way?
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 05:09:23 AM »
I just did my taxes so I have the numbers fresh in my mind. Last year I spent 60K on audio and made 130K. Even though I already paid, I think I have eight omnibuses left to go live. I wait until individual sales die before unleashing them so theres a lot still to play out.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
    • View Profile
    • The Science Fiction of Rick Partlow
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 05:24:58 AM »
I've made a good amount from the books Tantor produced from my work, but the two I've done through ACX haven't made that much yet.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:54 AM »
I have five books out and it took about 15 months to cover my costs. I don't sell many, but the income is all mine from now on.

Offline 3rotic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:28 AM »
I average low four figures each month in audio royalties. It has effectively doubled my income.

Offline PenNPaper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
About $10k -15k a month at the moment.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I have 17 ACX audio titles plus 2 box sets. Last year I spent about 10K and made 45K on ACX. I have seven books with publishers also, but make the most from ACX. It is not a big percentage of my total, quite a bit less than 10%, but it is a nice extra, and I prefer the quality of my ACX books.

I am a moderate audio seller. I know people with a similar number of books who make much more. An indie author got a good six-figure advance last year for 2 audiobooks (Audible Studios). Generally, you have to sell very well in ebook to sell very well in audio, and the new romance subscription will probably put the final nail in the coffin for royalty share (at least with known narrators and non-blockbuster books).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:07:20 AM by Usedtoposthere »

Offline PiscaPress

• View Profile
    • Piscataqua Press
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
Plus, many folks looking to the future are expecting a big jump in audio as more people begin using Alexa and all those other devices to listen.
very very very small publisher
PiscaPress

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
Plus, many folks looking to the future are expecting a big jump in audio as more people begin using Alexa and all those other devices to listen.

The majority of my listening is through Alexa.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline RD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
I've made a good amount from the books Tantor produced from my work, but the two I've done through ACX haven't made that much yet.

I've decided to go this route. I got an offer recently and I think its a time saver, but also they have the marketing muscle to push the books.

Offline jmb3

• So.Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
Audio has been amazing for my series. It opened up a whole new fan base. At the very least, Audible sales double my income every month but typically it earns more than my ebook sales. Audible has featured all my books in one form or another but they've run my first book in several big promotions (I independently produce my audiobooks so they do promote titles other than their own Audible audiobooks) and they even nominated Cake (instead of one of their own titles) for an Audie Award in Romance this year.
If you are lucky enough to get some love from Audible, then it could be an amazing revenue source. In the fifteen months since starting with audiobooks, I've sold over 32,000 copies of four audiobooks, released every few months over that time frame.   

J. Bengtsson

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Audio sales are like ebook sales - some authors are making a lot, some very little. Mine is steadily increasing each month. The series that sells the best in ebook is the series earning the most in audio. I've had one audiobook take as long as 11 months to earn back what I paid (nearly $3k) while my latest release looks like it already earned back its cost (nearly $2k) and I only released it 10 days ago.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »
Audio has been amazing for my series. It opened up a whole new fan base. At the very least, Audible sales double my income every month but typically it earns more than my ebook sales. Audible has featured all my books in one form or another but they've run my first book in several big promotions (I independently produce my audiobooks so they do promote titles other than their own Audible audiobooks) and they even nominated Cake (instead of one of their own titles) for an Audie Award in Romance this year.
If you are lucky enough to get some love from Audible, then it could be an amazing revenue source. In the fifteen months since starting with audiobooks, I've sold over 32,000 copies of four audiobooks, released every few months over that time frame.

I grabbed Cake when Audible had it on sale recently. Haven't listened to it yet. (But some of us do prefer to buy books rather than do the romance package.) I'm excited to check it out.

I'm curious to see how viable ACX will be when I get to the point of being ready to do my own.