Author Topic: Audiobook lovers, how do you find your next book?  (Read 181 times)  

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
Audiobook lovers, how do you find your next book?
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »
I'm curious to know if audiobook listeners usually browse Audible (for example) for your next book, or do you browse Amazon Books in general and hope there's an audiobook version of something you like?

The next time you're looking for a new audiobook, what will you do? Or perhaps do you rely on mailing lists?

Thanks for any help... (this is a marketing thing, of course  :))
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
Re: Audiobook lovers, how do you find your next book?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »
Caveat: I'm a casual audiobook listener.  I have my annual subscription with credits and buy beyond that when books are on sale.  I listen during long drives, but since I work from home now, I'm not buying as many as other listeners probably are.

For me, I pick my audiobooks first by narrator.  I search for narrators and will click the links on Audible to see other books by said narrator.  If there is a celebrity voice of an actor I really enjoy, that's usually what initially draws me in.  For example, after reading that amazing GQ article about Brendan Fraser the other week, I discovered he reads the Cornelia Funke books and, after listening to a sample and hearing what a fantastic narrator he is, I immediately picked them up.  I usually then go for a "brand".  The X-Files and Doctor Who now have whole seasons, which is super fun.  I also search for audio produced by the BBC, knowing that anything they do is going to be fantastic.  Sometimes I'll search for topics or titles (comedy or Shakespeare or PG Wodehouse.)  And then I go for price.  If WhisperSync is offering $1.99 for a book I already own, I totally listen to a sample.  I click a lot on the emails I receive from Audible about sales and such.  But I gotta say, it really does come down to voice.  If the tone is flat and droning, if it sounds like the narrator is reading a medical textbook to me rather than drawing me into the excitement of the story, I hard pass.

All this is to say, most of the ways I find my audiobooks are things we indies have no control over.  The only thing we have control over is the narrator.  And I think that's worth investing in.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57:36 PM »

For me, I pick my audiobooks first by narrator.  I search for narrators and will click the links on Audible to see other books by said narrator.  If there is a celebrity voice of an actor I really enjoy, that's usually what initially draws me in.  I click a lot on the emails I receive from Audible about sales and such.  But I gotta say, it really does come down to voice.  If the tone is flat and droning, if it sounds like the narrator is reading a medical textbook to me rather than drawing me into the excitement of the story, I hard pass.

All this is to say, most of the ways I find my audiobooks are things we indies have no control over.  The only thing we have control over is the narrator.  And I think that's worth investing in.

Thanks Kate, so short answer is you browse, etc, Audible. I self-narrate and produce my books and fortunately, despite my Oz accent, have got a lot of good feedback aboout my narration (and one dick who accuses me of masquerading as British, but coming from New Zealand - I suspect he's been medically diagnosed as several different kinds of idiot simultaneously). I appreciate you'd like certain narrators. I'm the same with music - I love some bands' musicianship, but the vocalists drive me nuts.

Cheers.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
My habits have just recently changed, since I cancelled my Audible subscription. That was partly because of the way Amazon/Audible has been treating authors lately, and partly because I'd just gotten such a backlog of books to listen to. And partly because my buying habits had changed to mostly buying through Whispersync/sales than with credits. But I suspect going forward I'll still find books the same (other than browsing their sales, since I can no longer access those), but I'll try to find ways to buy them that works around Audible/Amazon when possible but still meets my needs (I suspect I may get into buying MP3 CDs when available).

In order of precedence, here's how I tend to find audiobooks:
1. New books from series/authors I already like. I usually have to browse and check up on all these manually, since Audible didn't have any alert system where you could "follow" an author/series/narrator and get an email when they put out a new book, and tradpub authors don't tend to have "new book alert" mailing lists.
2. Search for new books by my favorite narrators.
3. Browse other places (Amazon/Goodreads) using keyword searches and also-bought lists--and even doing web searches for keywords/phrases to see what other lists are out there--to find ones I may be interested in, then look to see if there's an audio version.
4. Browse Overdrive to see what audiobooks my library has available, usually first by searching for favorite narrators, then by browsing by genre.

I suppose the answer to your main question is that I mostly browse Audible first, even if I don't end up buying there. Which I suppose is a problem, since it still means that an author has to have a book at Audible for me to find it. I'm open to recs for good/better/different places to browse audiobooks if anyone has any.