Author Topic: Podcast  (Read 805 times)  

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
Podcast
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Does anyone podcast? Id like to get more information. Maybe we can podcast together and help promote each other.

Ken Coleman | Ken Coleman

Offline jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog
Re: Podcast
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »
Info in my signature.

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 04:18:18 PM »
I'm looking for topics for a podcast. Any Suggestions?

"What I wish I knew before self publishing" Laura

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
I think there's a never-ending source of Podcasts you can talk about covering publishing and so on. One topic that's more rarely explored is other alternative routes of PR and Marketing - especially within the Fantasy / Sci-Fi culture - book fairs/conventions and so on. This would make a good topic, collaborating with filmmakers to make a trailer reel for your book would be another interesting one. I'll do one with you if you want. (I can certainly cover the latter topic)

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »
I like this idea. I have added it the list of topics to cover. I'll follow up with you and perhaps we can do this together.

Offline Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
My wife and I host a podcast where we discuss our experiences with self-publishing. It published weekly and currently stands at 52 episodes. We record in a walk-in closet (fantastic acoustics), never have guests, and our biggest problem is running out of topics, which is why we are currently on hiatus.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:09:57 AM by Klendark »

Klendark

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
we should do something together. Im setting up the indieauthorspodcast.com

Offline mscusse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »
Many new authors (myself included) get overwhelmed and confused, especially when they don't have other writers to turn to for help.

You could definitely create episodes about topics such as ISBNs, publishing timelines (when to create a website, hire an editor, etc.), how to spot scams, and so on.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:00:14 PM by mscusse »

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:30:50 AM »
Excellent ideas. Whats a personal experience that happened to you?

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 02:47:34 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of recording a podcast a month from the start of my indie career, documenting in an almost diary format what happened. Mistakes, successes etc.

I might do it and not release them, then if it was an interesting year release them all at once.

Offline mscusse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 03:31:33 PM »
Excellent ideas. Whats a personal experience that happened to you?

I'm still writing my first book, so I don't really have any experiences or stories to share yet. But I'm working on it!

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
Should I be shocked about so few replies? 400 views? over 2500 pages of posts of questions, concerns, and issues. It seems everyone here has a question or needs help with something. If there are some 20 posts a day, the math seems so few questions or concerns would be answered or addressed. If someome comes to Kindleboards a couple of times a week, there may be hundreds of posts. Most will never be read.

This why I thought a podcast might be a good idea.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
I miss rockingselfpublishing podcast. That was my favourite. Simon did interviews every week with successful indie authors. Real to the point questions about what was working for them and why.

Sometimes I think about e-mailing him and suggesting he sell it on to another podcaster who could continue it in the exact same style.

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »
I host a podcast (Coffee and Catastrophe) with a fellow author, where we talk about everything under the sun when it comes to writing and self publishing.  We're currently in our second season with a series on industry insights for authors.

Offline Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
Forgive me if I'm restating the obvious, but podcasts are like books. You need to market them and marketing takes time and money. You also need a place to host them and you need to register them on multiple services like Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Google Play Music. Then there's recording, engineering, adding music, and uploading.  The process is fairly straightforward, but it isn't trivial either.

Klendark

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 04:02:27 PM »
@ Evenstar

I guess thats my point. There doesn't need to be a podcast for "successful" authors. There needs to be a format for indie authors to talk, get support, even peddle thier craft. Other indie authors can get tips, either with the craft or marketing, rather than filtering through hundreds of posts on kindle boards.

I think there's a niche here and I'm going after it.

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
@ Evenstar

I guess thats my point. There doesn't need to be a podcast for "successful" authors. There needs to be a format for indie authors to talk, get support, even peddle thier craft. Other indie authors can get tips, either with the craft or marketing, rather than filtering through hundreds of posts on kindle boards.

If there is a niche then for sure, jump at it! If you're asking for topics for a podcast you need to dive deeper into your audience. You need to find out through research- what pain points are they facing? What are they struggling with? Identify the gaps in the market, and go for it.

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
@ B A Dale

I'd love to chat with you sometime. I'd like to know how you got started. What topics do you cover? Whats your format? Who is your target audience and how do you reach them? What do you wish you'd known before you got started?

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
@ Evenstar

Maybe.
I'm a big podcast listener (so long as I can download it on my kindle and not from apple) and I always get way more valuable information from people who have just had success or people who are killing it. They share their methods, they even share their figures which is so amazing of them. Recently I listened to Lindsay Buroker break down her latest launch on the Science Fiction and Fantasy Marketing Podcast, including how much she spent, what she spent it on, and how much the book made in the first day/first week. I learned so much in that hour about what I was doing wrong and how I could change it. That's what makes a fantastic podcast, something that helps us actually advance rather than just people promoting themselves and hearing about other peoples books and what they are working on next. That's a yawn fest for me.

But of course, it is all individual taste. I'm just sharing because you asked.

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 05:01:16 PM »
Maybe.
I'm a big podcast listener (so long as I can download it on my kindle and not from apple) and I always get way more valuable information from people who have just had success or people who are killing it. They share their methods, they even share their figures which is so amazing of them. Recently I listened to Lindsay Buroker break down her latest launch on the Science Fiction and Fantasy Marketing Podcast, including how much she spent, what she spent it on, and how much the book made in the first day/first week. I learned so much in that hour about what I was doing wrong and how I could change it. That's what makes a fantastic podcast, something that helps us actually advance rather than just people promoting themselves and hearing about other peoples books and what they are working on next. That's a yawn fest for me.

But of course, it is all individual taste. I'm just sharing because you asked.

Thats my point. Thats the idea. Indie authors helping indie authors. Only my idea is more compartmentalized. For example, a book fair. What works and what doesn't, so authors have information that a book fair may or may not be for them. And if so, what are some things they need to know to make the best of it. How much does it cost? How long are they? What do they need to bring? This is my idea or format for my podcast.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »

Thats my point. Thats the idea. Indie authors helping indie authors. Only my idea is more compartmentalized. For example, a book fair. What works and what doesn't, so authors have information that a book fair may or may not be for them. And if so, what are some things they need to know to make the best of it. How much does it cost? How long are they? What do they need to bring? This is my idea or format for my podcast.

Oh I see, sorry that was miscommunication somewhere.

In that case, might I suggest an episode on author panels. I'm sometimes asked to join a panel of authors and talk about self publishing (as I'm sure plenty of other authors are too) but it's such a broad topic. I'd be interested to know how other authors prepare. Also do you take bookmarks or do you actually buy copies of your own book to sell/give away? That kind of thing.

Offline kcole99294

• View Profile
    • Kencoleman.co
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »
Oh I see, sorry that was miscommunication somewhere.

In that case, might I suggest an episode on author panels. I'm sometimes asked to join a panel of authors and talk about self publishing (as I'm sure plenty of other authors are too) but it's such a broad topic. I'd be interested to know how other authors prepare. Also do you take bookmarks or do you actually buy copies of your own book to sell/give away? That kind of thing.

This is why there needs to be a podcast. We all have questions. We all have experiences. Lets pool our resources. I'm working on indieauthorspodcast.com