mblart

Author Topic: New Champagne Gold Kindle Oasis  (Read 1488 times)  

Offline wiccanhot

• NYC
    • View Profile
New Champagne Gold Kindle Oasis
« on: March 15, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M8FDWM/ref=ods_dp_ps_eink_cr_lch

available for preorder will release on March 22nd.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: New Champagne Gold Kindle Oasis
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »
Pretty.  I would have ordered it if it had been available when Oasis2 was first released.  I'm not ordering a new Kindle just to change color now!
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
Hmmm. So, if you like to use it sans case, it is nice to have a color option. But if you do use a case -- I note the ones they sell 'with' it now are by Fintie -- the case covers the whole back. It looks like the front frame is still black so . . . . . no point in color if you use a case. At least it's not extra.

Agree I might have gotten this color if it was available on first release, but not going to get a second one just to get it! (Not when I have at least 3 other back up kindles in the house. ::) )

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline wiccanhot

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
Also, it's only available wifi-only.  I always buy kindles with free cellular so not worth the upgrade.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
This does not bode well for my future with Kindle. I don't need a $1,000 Kindle that's really pretty to read my books. On the other hand, a man I know asked me if people would think he was cool if he had a Kindle. I told him that if he wanted to buy cool he should go with Apple. It looks like Kindle wants in on Apple's base.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
As it happens, I believe the Oasis demo unit I saw at Amazon Books months ago (just after the launch) had this color - it was definitely not *graphite*. I would have described it as *dull brass* and did not like the way it looked as a frame for the black bezel. I have not seen another Oasis since then and thought they were all like this!

Perhaps it was another color they were experimenting with and champagne gold looks okay but if anyone is thinking about getting one, I would recommend first trying to see it in person somehow, or at least waiting until there are user-contributed photos which might be more representative and realistic than carefully crafted product photos. A cover would cover the back, but it will not cover up the front-facing part of the frame. 

I do not think Kindles will ever be considered cool, so no worries there. The design language Amazon uses (to the extent that they have one) seems more utilitarian than classy.

Apples gold-framed devices have a cream colored bezel, not a black one, and while it is not my preference, these look much better than the Oasis I saw.

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 02:44:57 PM »
This does not bode well for my future with Kindle. I don't need a $1,000 Kindle that's really pretty to read my books.

So don't spend $1000. Get the basic K for <$100. You can even, if you watch for specials, get a PW for <$100.

Or are you saying you think Amazon will stop having the inexpensive versions?

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
I would have wanted this. maybe the next upgrade  in a few years will be rose gold!  I sure hope!
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS

Offline jheydt

• The Villages, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
Am I missing something here?  I have an Oasis 2 and am perfectly content with it.  As I see it the new Oasis is just like my Oasis 2 except for the case color.  My Oasis 2 has wifi only.  Why would anyone with an Oasis 2 purchase the new Oasis?

John

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 06:56:05 PM »
Am I missing something here?  I have an Oasis 2 and am perfectly content with it.  As I see it the new Oasis is just like my Oasis 2 except for the case color.  My Oasis 2 has wifi only.  Why would anyone with an Oasis 2 purchase the new Oasis?

John

To have a second one that is, in their opinion, a prettier color. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline jheydt

• The Villages, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
To have a second one that is, in their opinion, a prettier color. :D
That's a lot of money just for a change in color.  Since I have a case for my Oasis I can't really see the color anyway.

John

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
That's a lot of money just for a change in color.  Since I have a case for my Oasis I can't really see the color anyway.

John

For some people, it might be worth it. Clearly not you, but that's o.k. too. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 06:24:29 PM »

John

Well I cant afford to buy a 2nd  but I like to pop mine out of the case when I read  so in essence I can enjoy  the  color. Based on the youtube videos it does not look as special as I hoped.  Its kinda a washed out gold color.
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 11:38:14 PM »
I have a DecalGirl skin on mine so having a new color doesn't interest me. It is very nice looking though!
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X