Author Topic: What do you folks think of my general plan?  (Read 670 times)  

Offline GreatWritersSteal

• View Profile
What do you folks think of my general plan?
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
It happens to be my birthday, so I am feeling a little more frustration with my publishing history than usual.   I thought I'd describe some of my plans to see what you folks think. 

I already have three eBooks up on Kobo/Amazon/BN (in my signature):  A short story, a chapbook and a book about writing craft.  I don't think I want to promote them much for the time being. 

I have three YA manuscripts; two of which I am still querying.  The first one I wrote got some requests from agents, but no agent.  The second one got me an agent, but no book deal.  The third one has a few requests pending. 

I also have an Amish romance that I am querying; I have a few agents who asked for more and are deliberating. 

A friend and I are also working on a contemporary romance/women's fiction novel that we hope to have ready in a couple months. 

So my loose plan is to polish up the first YA book and to turn it into an epub in the next couple months. 

Stay on the lookout at the pre-made cover sites for something that will work.  (I like The Cover Collection.)

Hopefully finish that other novel with my friend and turn that into an epub.

I don't think BookBub would take the YA and I don't know if I could afford that promotion yet, but I can try to get something going on Freebooksy and NetGalley and other places. 

Try to get some bloggers to write about the book (I have done this for others a number of times.) 

I have to figure out whether I want to use a pseudonym or my initials and whether I want to use my Great Writers Steal Twitter and Facebook outlets instead of just starting author-stuff-only accounts.  Same thing for my web site. 

What do you think?  As you can tell, I'm trying to sort out my thinking and trying to set a logical plan.  Many thanks!

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: What do you folks think of my general plan?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
I had to look up what a chapbook was.  :P

It's good you are diversifying so you can find out what works for you coupled with what you enjoy writing. Good luck!

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
The most commonly recommended approach, and what has worked for me, is find a genre you like to write that has readers. Write two or preferably three books in a series. Set the first one at free (wide) or $.99 (KU), and give the series some initial promotion. If it catches on, promote a little more and write a fourth book. If it doesn't catch on, go back to finding a genre. . .
Best of luck.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
I think you need to review some promotion threads here. You have a lot of irons in the fire and many potential directions you might go.

Marketing for each will be different. Hold off on spending vast quantities of money for anything until you get a better handle on how to launch. Lots of people here testifying about what has worked and what has not. Google KBoards topics if you can't find them through the search function.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:16:25 AM »
The most commonly recommended approach, and what has worked for me, is find a genre you like to write that has readers. Write two or preferably three books in a series. Set the first one at free (wide) or $.99 (KU), and give the series some initial promotion. If it catches on, promote a little more and write a fourth book. If it doesn't catch on, go back to finding a genre. . .
Best of luck.

Pretty much this. And study your genre, know what's selling, what covers are like, how the blurbs are written. Don't write something too far off the path, if your intent is to sell lots of books. Readers seem to only like certain things, or so I've been told.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline GreatWritersSteal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
Thank you for all of the answers so far! 

I know that romance/women's fiction indies sell better than YA.  I couldn't take advantage of the series technique any time soon; I understand it would be helpful if I wrote epic fantasies. 

My primary concern is figuring out how to get attention and to get marketing going.  I'm researching here and elsewhere which methods work.  (And I'm always happy to hear suggestions.)

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:27 AM »
What sort of YA books are the manuscripts you mentioned, the two that didn't sell? Drama? Fantasy? Dystopian/post-apocalyptic? Romance?

I'd put any marketing funds you have into good covers for those books. The fact that you're getting interest from agents suggests your work is strong enough to justify some investment, and excellent, genre-appropriate covers are probably the single best investment you can make. Without that, every ensuing marketing effort will start out already in the hole. Take a look at the YA subgenres where your books would fit and hire a successful designer to produce something along those lines for you.

If those manuscripts could be tweaked to at least allow for the *possibility* of a sequel, that'd be good. A secondary character who could be developed as the main character of another story, for instance. That way, if one of these books strikes a chord with readers, you'll have a way to generate a little career momentum.

I would put your website, Facebook, etc., under your author name. Pseudonym, initials ... I don't think it matters a lot, so long as you're comfortable building the name you choose long-term with reasonably similar books. You can keep "Great Writers Steal" as the title of your blog and make it accessible through your author website, but I wouldn't bury your whole author website under "Great Writers Steal." When I Google "K S Nichols," the "Great Writers Steal" site doesn't come up, at least on the first three pages of results -- not helpful, since readers are likely to Google your author name.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac