Author Topic: Adding Other POV's After Third Book?  (Read 383 times)  

Offline DavidBanner

• Southeastern Coast
  • Author of the Dangerous Waters series.
    • View Profile
    • www.davidbannerbooks.com
Adding Other POV's After Third Book?
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
So, I've released the first three books in my series, basically a month apart. So far, they've all been a single POV. But I was thinking about adding additional ones going forward. Specifically three more from the other main characters. I don't know if this would be jarring to readers though.

At the moment it's just a lose idea, I haven't even started the fourth book yet. I'm about a week away from that.

What do you guys think, has anyone done this or seen it?

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
Re: Adding Other POV's After Third Book?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »
If each book is 100% stand alone, I don't see why it would be a problem if it's really what you want to do.

However, there are several options. You could write entirely from the other character's POV, have a spin-off dedicated to the other character, etc etc.

You can definitely do multiple POVs in a book and it doesn't have to be jarring. The last book I read had 5-6 POVs and was hands down the most amazing book I've read in the last five years. One thing the author did was start with a very gradual lead in and, in some ways, made you guess who's POV you were in (the whole book was in 3rd person).

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:19 PM »
Sea adventures? As long as each POV has an important role in the story, I don't see why you couldn't shift to doing that.

I'm going from two POV to 3.5 POV (the .5 is for a split personality, lol!) in my book 2. They are all strong characters with a definite arc, so each should be entertaining to read.

Online Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
I think this is an idea that could work, as long as each book is a standalone - or even if not. Remember "Christine" by Stephen King? He switched POVs between the 3 parts of the novel. Go for it!

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline DavidBanner

• Southeastern Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:30:05 PM »
They're standalone, yes. But they are part of a series. All three so far have been from the same characters POV, but I think adding more could be fun.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:42:03 AM »
The joy of being an indie is you can do what you want. If it bombs, you know not to mix that up in a series again. I think you'll be fine as long as the story is engaging with the added POVs.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:50 AM »
I've done this in most of my books. It allows me to show things that the MC wouldn't be able to see.

Also, it can add great suspense: the reader knows what the MC does not. For example, the reader knows that the bad guy is on the other side of that door.

I like writing in first person, so I often have a first-person POV plus a third person POV for a different character. Some books have multiple first-person POVs (e.g. Leaving Time) but that gets tricky.

It's good (but not necessary (see Christine)) to introduce all the different POVs early on).

It's also fun to see the same scene from two different POVs (see Shear Luck by Sue Seabury).

In books 1-4 of my Eric Beckman books, Eric is the first person MC. In book 5, Viviana is the first person MC. No complaints so far.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
I see no issue with different POVs so long as the reader knows whose head he/she is in. Jodi Piccoult did it with chapter headings. Some do it with dates and places. Some simply initiate a new scene or chapter making POV clear in the first few lines.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:48:15 PM by Sapphire »

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »
If it works for the story then do it without any worry.

I have six POV in mine from the get-go and added a seventh halfway through.

Offline DavidBanner

• Southeastern Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The more I think about it and the more you guys talk its looking looking me something Im going to try!

Offline MarkParragh

• View Profile
    • Mark Parragh's Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »
I notice your books are in first person. That might change the thinking a little. And to clarify, are you thinking of doing all of Book 4 from a different character's POV, or of switching back and forth from your hero to supporting characters?

If you're thinking of switching between POVs in the same book, it might feel odd to go from the hero saying "I did X" to a different character also saying "I did X." It could be done, I think, but you'd want to be really careful to make sure readers catch the switch and know where they are.

One thing you might consider, if the same hero first person will be part of the book is writing the other characters in third person. That still lets you go into their POV and experience things the MC doesn't know, but it's also a lot harder for readers to get lost.

My stuff is all in third person, but I do little things to plant signposts for the reader. A simple one is that, if I'm going to switch into a new POV after a chapter or scene break, I almost always start the first sentence with the name of the new POV character. Like, "Josh yawned and leaned back in his chair. This paperwork was going to kill him. The hell with it. He switched off the computer and..." etc.

Mark Parragh | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
I see no issue with different POVs so long as the reader know whose head he/she is in. Jodi Piccoult did it with chapter headings. Some do it with dates and places. Some simply initiate a new scene or chapter making POV clear in the first few lines.

If you have multiple first person POVs, yes, you need a heading. If not, I like to include some internal thoughts near the top of the scene. Like this:

On the evening of the seventh, Bolton pushed into the condo and into a cloud of seafood aroma. Not bad, really, but strong. It reminded him of what one would encounter at a crowded crab restaurant.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline DavidBanner

• Southeastern Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 05:11:56 PM »
I was vo Go to just make a heading on each chapter.

Chapter Four
Hope