NetGalley

Author Topic: How will the facebook troubles effect writers?  (Read 4174 times)  

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
How will the facebook troubles effect writers?
« on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:33 AM »
All I've seen in the headlines this week it problems with facebook. I'm wondering if this will change the way we market our books and build our platform? My husband would like nothing better than to see me close down my account. I've gone in and blocked any apps that I don't use (holy cow there was a ton of them!). I'm willing to see if real changes are made that will actually make a difference. There are so many that use it! How are the rest of you reacting to this new security problem facing the public?

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
Re: How will the facebook troubles effect writers?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:00:54 AM »
All I've seen in the headlines this week it problems with facebook. I'm wondering if this will change the way we market our books and build our platform? My husband would like nothing better than to see me close down my account. I've gone in and blocked any apps that I don't use (holy cow there was a ton of them!). I'm willing to see if real changes are made that will actually make a difference. There are so many that use it! How are the rest of you reacting to this new security problem facing the public?

I didn't know there was a problem :)

Some of my books are starting a countdown deal today & I was considering boosting a post from my books page once the US deals begin (the UK ones have started but want to wait until all are 'in progress' to get the most out of the ad).
Seeing this has made me wonder what the problem is & if I should boost the post.
Off to investigate but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

(Affect not effect, I hope it has no effect though) :)

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:04:18 AM »

I've been wondering about this myself. From what I can see, participation on FB has been declining for a while and this will only speed that up. That means advertising will become even more challenging as audiences dwindle.  Sad really and easily avoidable if they'd just been a little more humble and a little less greedy.

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:04:49 AM »
Aha, it's the Analytica thing, I had heard about that & promptly forgot about it :)

It seems that it's being dealt with so I'll carry on regardless :)

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:09:45 AM »
With all this hype and ill-placed paranoia, my Facebook ads are doing great.

TBH I have a little trouble understanding the hype.

So. We have several sites that can--and do--track what we buy and what we search and what we say. OK, why is this news? Why did anyone even think that this would ever be private? Why even are people surprised that companies used this info. We use it to get more relevant search results. We use it to quickly log into sites (yano, when the site remembers your password). Heck, we use it when we place Facebook ads.

All I know is this: if I have to see ads, I much rather see them for things I'm mildly interested in or that don't annoy me than ones that are irrelevant and annoying.

And also: I've never said anything in the open that I would be afraid to say in a lecture theatre full of 500 strangers expecting those strangers to tell it to all their friends if it's something juicy.

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
I would be keen to hear more about this, especially writers results with facebook marketing in the past, though this part of course is slightly off topic

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 06:12:49 AM »

So. We have several sites that can--and do--track what we buy and what we search and what we say. OK, why is this news? Why did anyone even think that this would ever be private? Why even are people surprised that companies used this info. We use it to get more relevant search results. We use it to quickly log into sites (yano, when the site remembers your password). Heck, we use it when we place Facebook ads.

All I know is this: if I have to see ads, I much rather see them for things I'm mildly interested in or that don't annoy me than ones that are irrelevant and annoying.

And also: I've never said anything in the open that I would be afraid to say in a lecture theatre full of 500 strangers expecting those strangers to tell it to all their friends if it's something juicy.

Exactly :)

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:28 AM »
I suspect the Analytica thing will blow over, hopefully leaving better privacy protection in its wake.

I'm actually more worried about the continued algorithm changes that force higher and higher ad spends to get the same result. Big brands can afford to absorb that, but indie authors with small profit margins already? Not so much.

What really irks me is Zuckerberg's attempt to rationalize the latest change. He twists the studies that talk about the negative effects of social media into a rationale for giving less exposure to certain kinds of content. However, if you read the studies he's referring to, you find that the negative effects of social media come from things like people becoming depressed that they don't have lives as great as the ones they see on FB and elsewhere--not realizing looks can be deceiving. That finding suggests that content from brand pages is not the problem. The problem is the very kind of personal content now being given more prominence in FB feeds.

People used to get all content in their feeds, and they could decide how to react. Then they got only a small piece. Then they had to follow a page as well as liking it to keep seeing that content. Now they have to comment and/or share the content to keep seeing it.

Zuckerberg once said, "Facebook is about people, not companies." What it's really about is ad revenue.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:20:18 AM »

I agree. Seems logical they would mine data. I've no problem with it. I don't say anything on FB I wouldn't want repeated. As for knowing my likes ... cool with me.

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
I know I'm naive, and not all that 'up' on Facebook technologies, but I'm not sure what kind of info FB can collect that can't be gotten in a dozen other ways.  I know they have mentioned all those crazy quizzes that appear from one place or another, as a way of collecting info, but what else can they learn?  Some people post carefully as it is; for example I never post anything that I wouldn't (proverbially speaking) want my mother, my priest, or future employers to see.  In other words, the same info that my grocery store and marketers have had on me for decades, based on what appears in my mailbox each week.

Although...  I did read this sentence this morning:  Facebook "collects data from our posts, our likes, our photos, things we type and delete without posting, and things we do while not on Facebook and even when we're offline."

The part in bold is a little unsettling.   :o   And the part in RED is curious too...  I assume that comes from buying info from other sources.  Now, though, maybe I'll make a direct appeal and put a post on my author page:  "Hey online sources, here's what I've written-- promote it far and wide!"    8)
Jena

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 06:50:45 AM »
  Now, though, maybe I'll make a direct appeal and put a post on my author page:  "Hey online sources, here's what I've written-- promote it far and wide!"

Brilliant idea, I could do with some free promotion :)

Offline Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:09:38 AM »
The part in bold is a little unsettling.   :o   And the part in RED is curious too...  I assume that comes from buying info from other sources. 

It's more that Facebook plundered data from user's devices... like calls and text messages.  :o

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:26:20 AM »
It's more that Facebook plundered data from user's devices... like calls and text messages.  :o

This kind of thing is why I look at the permissions for any app I'm thinking of downloading to my phone. If there's anything that seems intrusive and isn't obviously needed for basic functionality of the app, I find a different app or go without entirely.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »
I just boosted a post yesterday. Not too happy with the profiles that liked/reacted, they dont look real to me. Ive had this problem before and suspended the boost because of it.

Is it related to the issues in FB? I dont think so because it has happened before. If there were any problems with people ditching FB I would have expected to lose followers and Ive only lost one, which is rare and maybe related, but indicates a low obvious impact. However, it is more than possible people will reduce their use of FB, which will affect ad results, so I think its a matter of watch this space.

Theres a lot of social media activity about causes going on right now, but it remains to be seen how much effect theyre having now or longer term.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »

Yikes, indeed.  Although I think it's safe to say that if one company does this (like FB) then others likely do the same or similar things.  Anyway, I never access FB on my phone, don't use apps, etc.  In this case my being 20 years behind the technology times probably works in my favor.   ::)
Jena

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
I'm another who doesn't put anything online that would make me wince if I saw it as a headline on the front page of the NY Times.

My grocery store has a lot more information about me than Facebook or any of these online companies does. So what? My former health insurance company, Anthem, was hacked years ago, and someone somewhere has even more intimate data about me. If FB wants to archive a rant I decided not to post on FB, that's small cheese. The ads that appear after I have bought something are annoying because, guys, I already bought it. But they are proof of tracking cookies, and any of us with a very small amount of computer know-how can get rid of most if not all of them. But if we buy FB ads, we want to target people's interests, so we actually do want FB to compile information, don't we?

The only problem with all this information gathering beyond the obvious threat of identity theft is if it is used by unimaginative law enforcement types. There was what I'd call an urban legend going around the romance writing world years ago that a writer who investigated government sites and bomb-making or similar got in trouble with the FBI. But no one ever proved that really happened. What I do know for a fact is that if you visit the CIA's site, you have to work hard to delete all their cookies. But you can.

Online kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »

Although...  I did read this sentence this morning:  Facebook "collects data from our posts, our likes, our photos, things we type and delete without posting, and things we do while not on Facebook and even when we're offline."

I've said things outside of FB and then had related ads appear. Things you say in FB messenger and even outside of FB. The stupid thing, they can never seem to get right which country I'm in. I get ads for places in Malaysia but I felt there 4 months ago! But if mentioned say toilet cleaner in a PM, I'll get ads for it.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
My grocery store has a lot more information about me than Facebook or any of these online companies does. So what? My former health insurance company, Anthem, was hacked years ago, and someone somewhere has even more intimate data about me. If FB wants to archive a rant I decided not to post on FB, that's small cheese. The ads that appear after I have bought something are annoying because, guys, I already bought it. But they are proof of tracking cookies, and any of us with a very small amount of computer know-how can get rid of most if not all of them. But if we buy FB ads, we want to target people's interests, so we actually do want FB to compile information, don't we?

I've said things outside of FB and then had related ads appear. Things you say in FB messenger and even outside of FB. The stupid thing, they can never seem to get right which country I'm in. I get ads for places in Malaysia but I felt there 4 months ago! But if mentioned say toilet cleaner in a PM, I'll get ads for it.

All the more reason to use ad blocker on FB.
Jena

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
This kind of thing is why I look at the permissions for any app I'm thinking of downloading to my phone. If there's anything that seems intrusive and isn't obviously needed for basic functionality of the app, I find a different app or go without entirely.

I download almost all apps like this to my tablet instead of my phone. No call log, no SMS, location switched off, etc. I particularly enjoy it when I have to approve access to my phone number, and as I hit OK I'm thinking ... access THIS number, dimwits.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 08:10:23 AM »
Privacy online is an illusion. It doesn't exist. We want our ads to be relevant, well guess how that happens? Yep, that data is collected and sold to other companies so they can target us better.

I think it's good though that this came out so FB can put a stop to using that data in more intrusive ways. The current drama seemed rather mild, but the potential for other abuses means we should want some regulations on how companies can use and share our data.

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
How will it affect authors? I think it'll force us to look more closely at our marketing practices. Are we relying too much on a given platform? How can we diversify our marketing plans? Just like other promotion methods we've seen come and go, Facebook isn't forever. So how will you make sure your marketing mix is a good mix?

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 09:36:41 AM »
The biggest hype problem around Cambridge Analytica is that political campaigns believe the sales pitch that they can target voters through a few pieces of social media interaction.

The biggest privacy problem with Facebook is finding that your doctors phone number and those of your privacy conscious friends are all available to Facebook because you said "Hey there's no privacy on the internet of course they can scan my contacts list (and keep scanning it, and monitoring your calls and texts).

If this is Facebook's MySpace moment maybe Facebook will survive as a place for authors and readers just as MySpace survived as a place for musicians and music fans.

no longer writing political works (for work reasons)
Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline CheriB

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My Author Page
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
I've decided to deactivate my accounts at Facebook and Instagram. So it's affecting me in the sense that I need to build a marketing strategy that doesn't involve those two channels.

I don't trust the company, and as a result I don't want to do business with them. But perhaps they'll clean up their act, so I'm deactivating instead of full-on deleting.  Instagram can't be deactivated, so once I wrap up my involvement there I'll mark my profile as inactive and uninstall the app.

I've got a launch in progress that I'll be finishing up, but once that's done I'll direct folks to my newsletter, give them some time to sign up or not, then sign off. 

C

Author of Corporate Murder Mysteries. Death by Team Building is now available on Kindle and Createspace.

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 09:58:53 AM »
I don't think anything will change.

Offline Luke Everhart

• Texas
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
    • View Profile
    • Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
It's almost all posturing; nothing will be affected.
What's annoying is that Cambridge Analytics is NOT the company that harvested the data. Global Science Research, a firm hired by FB and whose co-director is still a Facebook employee (consultant), was the company that harvested the data under the guise of academic (psychological) research. Cambridge Analytica merely bought the data from GSR. A few UK papers (like The Guardian) have covered that fact, but it's down the memory hole in US media.
Fools Rush In : 100%

Blood Bargain: 80%
magic & mirth meets action & attitude
Luke Everhart | Twitter | Website