Author Topic: Erotica Global Rankings Seem To Be Back  (Read 1175 times)  

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
Erotica Global Rankings Seem To Be Back
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:19:41 PM »
Hmm.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:42:03 PM by Dpock »

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
Re: Erotica Global Rankings Seem To Be Back
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:53 PM »
Indeed. I'm seeing pop-list topping book ranked at 1,800 or so, and the bestseller in erotica at 87 overall.

Offline Tara KH

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Can confirm. The global rankings are back on my erotica books...

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »
I've noticed some of my titles have their rank. But I've been pretty honest about listing my erotica in that category, erotic romances there, and my eroms in romance where appropriate. But if it has an erotica category, and they know those titles, what are they planning to do?

I mean, I'd be all for having them off separate, and pushing a button saying you want "adult content". Smashwords allows you to turn their button on and off. And with my Kindle having that pop-up whether to allow the "adult content" the other night, I was hoping this was what Amazon was doing.

Really, all authors want are readers that want their genre to find it. All this recatgorizing just might be the Zon finally catching up with misplaced titles in wrong categories. But the weird thing is, who is to say what is a romance and what is an erotic story versus what is an erotic romance? I know it all has to do with story versus just sex. But there is a lot of erotica with good story too.

So, it's very subjective, and we know it would cost the Zon too much to have humans do the job instead of the algos. I guess this is our brave new world. Just waiting for the AI to take over and start writing next.  ;) >:(

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »
Here's the official word from Amazon PR:

"A recent Kindle Store change inadvertently affected the display of sales rank for some titles. We have corrected this issue."

yeah, no - this was no glitch
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
Here's the official word from Amazon PR:

"A recent Kindle Store change inadvertently affected the display of sales rank for some titles. We have corrected this issue."

yeah, no - this was no glitch

Funny, as an earlier email to an author specifically said it was intentional.

Regardless, an official word could have been dropped a week ago when the de-ranking occurred. They have our email addresses.  To leave the rest of us in complete doubt for a whole week is inexcusable.

There are so many ways Amazon could be more communicative. It often feels like we operate in a hostile environment that keeps us second guessing and to the degree that some of us worry over our livelihoods.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:43:27 AM »
Funny, as an earlier email to an author specifically said it was intentional.

I suspect the original change was intentional. They made some subtle tweak to the algorithm that identifies erotica and got it wrong, so it scooped up far more books than it should have done. Now they've fixed it, or rolled it back to the previous version, that's all. I don't for one moment imagine that anyone seriously said: let's hide this Fifty Shades thing that makes us so much money.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Offline Kat_Merikan

• View Profile
    • K.A. Merikan
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:55:47 AM »
How are your Adult filter books? I've had one that was in the Adult dungeon, and now it's not marked that way.

M/M romance - Because bad boys need happy endings too.
K.A. Merikan | K.A. Merikan | Twitter | Facebook

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:49 AM »
I suspect the original change was intentional. They made some subtle tweak to the algorithm that identifies erotica and got it wrong

Intentional, and possibly a knee-jerk reaction to FOSTA, a conclusion drawn after reading an article in The Guardian (below). So, I don't think this story is over.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/mar/30/congress-online-sex-trafficking-bill-impact-sex-workers-craigslist

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
I don't for one moment imagine that anyone seriously said: let's hide this Fifty Shades thing that makes us so much money.

I agree with this. Erotica makes Amazon a lot of money. They don't actually want to get rid of it, just stop customers complaining about it (like that's ever going to happen). If they had an adequate adult filter, I think writers would be happy.

I'm still kind of shocked about finding a large, not-human-colored sex toy show up in a search for some kitchen tool. Yet, people searching books aren't happy to see erotica? At least they didn't get slapped in the face with a huge fake pink you-know-what!
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:18:36 PM »
Here's another Guardian article that is addressing the farther reach of what could be happening. I've found that the UK newspapers are covering this more accurately now.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/29/sexual-freedom-fosta-sosta

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 02:34:53 AM »
Intentional, and possibly a knee-jerk reaction to FOSTA, a conclusion drawn after reading an article in The Guardian (below). So, I don't think this story is over.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/mar/30/congress-online-sex-trafficking-bill-impact-sex-workers-craigslist
A knee-jerk reaction that fortunately someone realised made no sense.