Author Topic: Is 'Read Cheaply' still in business?  (Read 553 times)  

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
Is 'Read Cheaply' still in business?
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
I applied to Read Cheaply in December for a .99 promo, but never got a reply. Tried again in March, and no reply. So I sent them an email in early March, and another email last week.... nada. No reply from them at all.

I would assume they are out of business, but I get "advertise with us" spam from them still. So, does anyone know what the deal is with them?  Just poorly organized, or not taking on any new ads?

At the very least, I expect a reply from my emails (it's called "being in business").

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
Re: Is 'Read Cheaply' still in business?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
Yes. Booked a promo on March 6. It ran yesterday (April 1).

Nick

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
Odd, they do not reply to any of my messages, but they send me lots of emails advertising their service.  (and I have checked the spam folder, just in case... nothing from them).

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:18:25 AM »
They never respond to my email messages either, but I get their newsletters.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »
I tried to book a promo today and it wouldn't let me - saying "this author has been featured in the last 30 days" - which isn't the case. I also had this problem back in Feb/March. I emailed them then about it and never got a reply.

I did run an ad successfully with them in Jan but have had issues since then. I've heard a couple of other authors running into the same bug, and being unable to contact them about it.

@Nick - maybe if you have a contact there you could point this issue out to them
Stuff for writers thisaway

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
I tried to book a promo today and it wouldn't let me - saying "this author has been featured in the last 30 days" - which isn't the case. I also had this problem back in Feb/March. I emailed them then about it and never got a reply.

I did run an ad successfully with them in Jan but have had issues since then. I've heard a couple of other authors running into the same bug, and being unable to contact them about it.

@Nick - maybe if you have a contact there you could point this issue out to them

No contact, David. I just submitted via the web form in early March, they invoiced me, and I paid. I think they didn't get back to my one other time, for a different book, but I usually just shrug those types of things off - submissions get lost or whatever. If it's a pattern, then they might have an issue with their site or someone might be asleep at the switch. No idea.

Nick

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:23:32 PM »
If it's an occasional blunder, then it can be excused, but this looks like a pattern. Not replying to emails is the ultimate sin in business. A late reply can be excused, but no reply at all (after months) is inexcusable. Sounds like they're having problems. I also noticed in their "email newsletters" that all the books have blurry covers. Looks like they are using a very low resolution.

I'll cross them off the list, and move on...   ;D

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »

Same issue.

I found that they featured another one of my books several weeks before. I hadn't requested a promo - but the book was discounted, and they featured it for free without notifying me. Which made me ineligible to book their service when I wanted it. I emailed, but no reply.

It's a bizarre rule. Other sites restrict the number of times a book can be featured, not the author. The only exception is Bookbub, which will still let you submit a request for a feature within the 30-day window. (They just won't feature you within 30 days)

Read Cheaply has lost at least $100 from me alone. I shudder to imagine how much money they're leaving on the table.

Offline RGAustin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »
I ran a $6 ad a few months ago and didn't get one click.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac