Author Topic: Help! My KU page reads from last month have been retroactively halved.  (Read 40287 times)  

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
Re: Help! My KU page reads from last month have been retroactively halved.
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
To analyze it you are better off taking the percentage increase from authors who had no new releases or increased marketing that also have 2 years sales numbers, otherwise its probably too difficult to unpick the numbers.

I agree. However, I'm not hearing from authors who fit the profile you mention. If there are authors who fit that profile, I would love to hear from them.

As to those who are not in KU using this problem as a pulpit to tell us all how Amazon is the devil and they are smarter than those using KU, I hope you realize that your single-topic rants get rather old after awhile and most people just tune you out.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »
I agree. However, I'm not hearing from authors who fit the profile you mention. If there are authors who fit that profile, I would love to hear from them.

As to those who are not in KU using this problem as a pulpit to tell us all how Amazon is the devil and they are smarter than those using KU, I hope you realize that your single-topic rants get rather old after awhile and most people just tune you out.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and you and the entire world may ignore mine if you wish. I dont feel put out or harmed by that. I dont tell you what you can and cant say, so why do you feel the need to tell me. This is a forum and all opinions have a right to be expressed, because no single person or group should control the narrative, other than the perhaps the site owners, who have never spoken to me directly as to what I can or cannot post.

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and you and the entire world may ignore mine if you wish. I dont feel put out or harmed by that. I dont tell you what you can and cant say, so why do you feel the need to tell me. This is a forum and all opinions have a right to be expressed, because no single person or group should control the narrative, other than the perhaps the site owners, who have never spoken to me directly as to what I can or cannot post.
I didn't tell you what to say or not. I simply expressed an opinion. I thought that was what the forum was for.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
I don't think BRK's "As to those..." paragraph was directed at you, TT. At least, I didn't read it that way. And I think that's the paragraph you're reacting to. A misunderstanding here, perhaps?

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »
I didn't tell you what to say or not. I simply expressed an opinion. I thought that was what the forum was for.

Hey, I dont read much of what you post either, but Im A-ok with you saying whatever you want without needing to comment about your position on some subjects. Its a forum and some people resonate with one another and others dont, but none of this is relevant to the thread, so if you wish to continue to discuss it then I suggest you PM me.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
I don't think BRK's "As to those..." paragraph was directed at you, TT. At least, I didn't read it that way. And I think that's the paragraph you're reacting to. A misunderstanding here, perhaps?

No, afraid not. BRK has taken issue with my posts in the past and Ive let it go because its not good forum conduct. If anyone wants to discuss this with me, then please take it to PM because were derailing a thread, and hopefully the mods will delete this irrelevant exchange.

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:57 AM »

Amazon cracked down on the scammers and the bots. They have removed page reads for those scammers and bots they've identified. Those were revenues the authors were never entitled to. Some legit authors got caught because they were being used for camouflage.

Second thing that happened is Amazon cracked down on fake and paid reviews and deleted a lot of user accounts. The wailing and gnashing of teeth on Twitter sounds like people cut off from a revenue stream, not those upset because they have to find another source of shoestrings and dog food.

It's this second occurrence that screwed the pooch. The whole KU system is incredibly fragile. Trying to collect data from millions of different devices all over the world is one hell of a programming feat. I think that when they closed all those accounts, they unintentionally wiped out the page reads of those accounts. Since they probably didn't consider testing what happens when you close the account of someone who got paid to review a lawn mower, and they never deleted tens of thousands of accounts all at once before, they had no idea what the consequences would be off in that little corner of the Amazon empire known as Kindle Unlimited.

If this is the case, I would also surmise that they have no way of recovering those page reads. So, some authors have a sudden windfall removed and are upset. I understand why. A lot more authors are hurt due to a glitch in Amazon's glitchy system, and for those people I am truly sorry.

I believe that more or less nails it, but I do think innocents used for camouflage will get their legitimate reads back.

Offline steffmetal

• New Zealand
  • Author - Metalhead - Sherlockian
    • View Profile
    • Steff Metal
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
I'll throw up my info, for what it's worth.

I had a new release on March 14th. First book in a new series and my only book in KU apart from some old erotica shorts.

I don't have exact numbers. I don't track them because I expected that Amazon and the other platforms are honest. Silly me.

I had at least 300k page reads yesterday morning. I'm positive it was closer to 350,000. I definitely had $1000 showing on Book Report that has now disappeared, and I'm down to 150,000 pages read for this book.

Gutted doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
FWIW, Ive run through the thread and stripped out what people state theyve lost in page reads or money from March. Itll be easier for anyone who wants to add their numbers to the list. If Phoenix gets enough data (even if its flaky), then maybe she can find a pattern, because Ive never seen people reporting this sort of problem before, or at least not to this extent. In 2016 we simply didnt get the page reads and some people lost up to 90% of their usual run rate. Seeing this many page reads removed post reporting is a new problem to me.

TM285 - lost 50%, plus claims FB group reporting same
solo - reported lost page reads (volume?)
Timothy Ellis - reported lost page reads ($200?)
Lovestowrite - reported $1,000 down, plus anecdotal re friend
Eroticatorum - reports possible increase in page reads (volume unknown)
Avery342 - reports loss of $170
Cindypk - reports loss of $870
Lucey Phillips - reports loss of $500
Steffmetal - reports loss of at least 150,000 page reads

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »
I'll throw up my info, for what it's worth.

I had a new release on March 14th. First book in a new series and my only book in KU apart from some old erotica shorts.

I don't have exact numbers. I don't track them because I expected that Amazon and the other platforms are honest. Silly me.

I had at least 300k page reads yesterday morning. I'm positive it was closer to 350,000. I definitely had $1000 showing on Book Report that has now disappeared, and I'm down to 150,000 pages read for this book.

Gutted doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.
I'm seeing a lot of stories like this on facebook. At the very least, this has hurt the morale and confidence of a lot of authors. I hope someone at Zon is paying attention instead of just worrying about damage control.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
Several posts have been removed, pursuant to this. Carry on.

ETA: Several more removed later in the day.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:52:25 PM by Becca Mills »

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Authors on facebook are starting to report receiving an email from Amazon saying they " have detected reading or borrowing activity for your books from accounts attempting to manipulate Kindle services." It goes on to say that this might be a result of third-party marketing services.

The email content isn't new as we've seen it before with other authors. I just don't think we've seen it this widespread.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2018, 04:14:26 PM »
Authors on facebook are starting to report receiving an email from Amazon saying they " have detected reading or borrowing activity for your books from accounts attempting to manipulate Kindle services." It goes on to say that this might be a result of third-party marketing services.

The email content isn't new as we've seen it before with other authors. I just don't think we've seen it this widespread.

Are you referring to authors who had page reads retroactively reduced, or authors more generally?
Stuff for writers thisaway

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »
Are you referring to authors who had page reads retroactively reduced, or authors more generally?
Those with page read reductions. The email seems to have hit a lot of authors in the last hour or so. It specifically states they will not be paid for pages accrued due to illicit activities.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2018, 04:22:53 PM »
Those with page read reductions. The email seems to have hit a lot of authors in the last hour or so. It specifically states they will not be paid for pages accrued due to illicit activities.

Sounds like the same as the case from October last year. If that's any guide, they are going to have a tough time getting straight answers from Amazon.
Stuff for writers thisaway

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
Sounds like the same as the case from October last year. If that's any guide, they are going to have a tough time getting straight answers from Amazon.
I never saw one of the letters from October, but it sounds exactly the same. Warning that it is up to the author to ensure everything they partake in is above board and that further incidents could be cause for account deletion.

Everyone who I have heard from maintains that their only ads and promotions were through AMS. That isn't what some said earlier.

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
I'm unsure why this thread is developing into a personal attack on David, who as far as I can see has always been on hand to help Indies. Especially by Anon posters who only came onto KBoards and only commented on the 2 threads talking about scammer and stuffers.

Perhaps time to get back onto topic instead of trying to eviscerate our own?

There are always people who would rather shoot the messenger or fire the whistleblower. Some are misguided, but most do it out of fear of their boat being rocked in some way--fear that they will lose out. Some fear is legitimate, because Amazon's instruments are blunt. Some fear is misplaced, blaming the person who prompts the action rather than clumsy Amazon.

Some is just naked, blatant, fear that their misbehavior is finally being found out.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Online Avery342

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
Yep, I just got the email. I used three tiny promos. BkNights from Fiverr, BookDoggy, and LGBT-Romance newsletter. All of which came highly recommended as above board and legitimate.

I knew I'd never see those reads again. But to now have my account threatened as well? What is getting me is that I haven't seen any indication that this hit the big name stuffers--those you know, actually manipulating page reads--at all.

Just when I started having hope, Amazon took it all away. And seriously, there were absolutely no huge spikes of reads that would suggest I'd been botted. I just don't understand this at all.

How on earth do we, as authors, control those who read or borrow our books? Guess we figure it out or kicked out of KDP, huh? With my luck, I'll be the first picked to be made an 'example' out of.

I'd be okay with that--if I'd done anything at all to warrant it. I'm thinking it might be time to step away from the keyboard. The really sad thing? This writing career that was just gaining momentum and giving me hope? It was about the only hope I had in life.

And for those who are wondering--no, I don't blame David or the others out there fighting the good fight. I back them one hundred percent. This is all on Amazon. I just wish that when they decided to finally take action, they would have gone after the ones who were really doing the manipulation.

But I guess by hitting us newer authors, well, they can always say they've done something, now can't they?

Avery J. Moon | blog

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2018, 04:54:45 PM »
David spearheaded a campaign that has now hurt probably thousands of authors.

It's fine. I got the answer I expected to get.

Those dang investigative journalists. If they wouldn't get the FBI all stirred up and chasing criminals, we could just keep doing business with the Mafia as usual and everything would be fine.

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
I can't be the only one who keeps going back and checking their page reads for March, can I?

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Online Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »

We just got one of those letters. The loss of page reads (~13,000 for March) is bothersome, but I take umbrage at the threat of account termination and the insinuation that my wife and I did something underhanded. We have never used any paid marketing service of any kind. The only marketing we use is AMS ads. My wife is livid. We came to the realization that even if this blows over, there is absolutely no way for us to prevent it from occurring again short of getting completely out of the Kindle Select program. Think about it: I can prove I did something, but I cannot prove I didn't do something, and there lies the rub. There is no recourse. If someone has an idea how to solve this problem, then I am all ears.

Klendark

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
I can't be the only one who keeps going back and checking their page reads for March, can I?

Nope. I had recorded mine in my income tracking sheet, so I know what my number was as of April 2nd, and have checked it a few times now.

For tracking purposes: no change for me, romance titles usually ranked in the 30K-50K range, 50K page reads for March, only AMS Sponsored Product ads.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS

Online Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »

Count me in. Not only March (loss of about ~13,000 page reads) but February and January as well. My wife and I are seriously considering ending our writing efforts. We can't take the stress of worrying about this happening again. We thought we were safe since we don't use any type advertising (paid or otherwise) except for AMS. I guess we were wrong.

Klendark

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
I had no loss of page reads detectable, but all of my stuff is out of Select and wide, except for my German translations.

At what point does the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice" (or three, or nineteen times), "shame on me" principle apply?

At what point does it behoove those engaging in the apparently risky behavior of putting everything in Select to pull out and protect themselves?

At the very least, everyone needs to frankly acknowledge the risk of putting all the eggs into one basket. I don't blame people for doing so if they're doing well thereby, but it's wise to not only plan for, but to actually expect this type of thing and figure it into their calculations, so to speak.

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
Interesting article coming at things from the other side, i.e. the customer accounts being cut off. A damning swipe at too much automation and not enough human oversight.

https://www.inc.com/erik-sherman/amazon-case-of-mysterious-account-killers.html