Author Topic: Help! My KU page reads from last month have been retroactively halved.  (Read 36116 times)  

Offline Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
Has anyone successfully gotten their page reads back?
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile

And the silence is deafening, lol.

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile

They're now terminating KDP accounts on what I'm guessing is the third month when an account is showing allegedly fake page reads.

Nobody's getting those pages back, whether they're really illegitimate or not.

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
I've been thinking about this a lot today, and I've searched for reasonable solutions Amazon could put into place to stop this from happening. Alas, I've got nothing. The only way I personally see to stop scammers is to install Gatekeepers, but that is nigh impossible in the current environment where thousands of books are being published on Amazon per day. Even with some kind of quality control (and that's a slippery slope to be sure), it doesn't stop someone with a somewhat decent book publishing their work and then gaming the system through the use of click-farms or reader-circles.

If you reduce the payment from pages read and go back to a flat fee, the scammers will just push through shorter works again.Whatever is implemented, the scammers will find a way around the new restrictions. Now, honest authors have been caught in the crosshairs. The only way to fix Kindle Unlimited is to burn it to the ground. And that sucks because it can be such a great tool for writers and readers alike.

The ban-hammer as of late has proven that Amazon is in over their heads. If a company as big as Amazon can't figure out a solution, then I don't see much hope for the program. Amazon has made a lot of bad decisions lately though, including the moving of Also-boughts to now be placed under two rows of sponsored ads.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
As someone with a background in compliance monitoring systems, I can think of about a dozen ways they could approach this more effectively. But clearly there isn't the will to do so.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
If a company as big as Amazon can't figure out a solution, then I don't see much hope for the program.

Unfortunately, there is a solution Amazon could implement and it'd be terrible for 99.9% of us. If they're not going to hire humans and their bots can't stop the scammers, they could go for the nuclear option where KU's closed to anyone not with trad or Amazon imprints. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Ken Ward

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
As someone with a background in compliance monitoring systems, I can think of about a dozen ways they could approach this more effectively. But clearly there isn't the will to do so.

Amazon is customer centric. KU 2 came out when KU 1 started getting hammered in FB ads by Kindle Unlimited customers who called it "Kindle Limited" and said things about it that would violate Kboards profanity policy to repeat. Until KU subscribers start complaining vocally and in public, there will be no desire for change.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
They're now terminating KDP accounts on what I'm guessing is the third month when an account is showing allegedly fake page reads.

Does anyone know ... if one's account gets terminated, would it work to republish one's existing books through D2D, or would Amazon catch them with its plagiarism filter and refuse to let them through?

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
Does anyone know ... if one's account gets terminated, would it work to republish one's existing books through D2D, or would Amazon catch them with its plagiarism filter and refuse to let them through?

I don't know about closed accounts, but I'm pretty sure it was authors submitting their banned books through D2D that caused D2D to lose amazon access the first time. So prolly if a ton of terminated authors start using that loophole that's most likely what will happen. But it'll work for a while.

Online Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
The biggest false assumption to make, is to think this latest round of KU clean up isn't working. Amazon may actually consider it a success. Let's say there's a 5% false positive rate ( I'm making that number up). On paper that looks pretty good.

"Hey we caught thousands of bots with a 95% accuracy rate!"

Now the hundred or so authors who got caught up in the system, won't see it that way. But to Amazon these authors are just a tiny column on the spreadsheet. They'll feed that data into the AI so it learns from the false positives and go have a celebratory luncheon.

And there's not much the authors who got screwed can do. Other than drop out of KU.  I'd bet real money Amazon sees this as a huge success and a win.

Welcome to the age of AI and autuomated data driven businesses.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
^^ He's right, you know.

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
I live in the UK, but surely, there has to be some kind of regulatory body that can go through amazon like a dose of the poops if enough authors complain to them.

I know the EU were trying to bring in regulations in regards to amazon and others practices with small businesses and this was the reply;

CCIA, which represents Google, Amazon and eBay, said online platforms go to great lengths to maintain good relations with their business users because it was in their own interest.

"There is no evidence of a systemic problem that would justify regulation through the strongest legislative instrument available to the EU. A more flexible approach, rather than an outsized, one-size-fits-all Regulation, would be more conducive to the growth of Europes digital economy," said Jakob Kucharczyk, Vice President, Competition & EU Regulatory Policy at CCIA.

I think there is a lot of evidence, but authors need to speak out.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
"There is no evidence of a systemic problem that would justify regulation through the strongest legislative instrument available to the EU. A more flexible approach, ...

coughcoughLook the other way and pocket the Amazon bribe money.coughcough

Offline TWGallier

• Princeton, Texas
    • View Profile
And the silence is deafening, lol.
I got an reply from the Executive Cus Support, saying he'll get back to me, but haven't heard anything since.  Yeah, the silence is deafening.

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Amazon is customer centric. KU 2 came out when KU 1 started getting hammered in FB ads by Kindle Unlimited customers who called it "Kindle Limited" and said things about it that would violate Kboards profanity policy to repeat. Until KU subscribers start complaining vocally and in public, there will be no desire for change.

And that will only happen if popular authors leave KU in droves. If there's suddenly a lack of quality material to read, then readers will complain.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline levolal

• View Profile
The biggest false assumption to make, is to think this latest round of KU clean up isn't working. Amazon may actually consider it a success. Let's say there's a 5% false positive rate ( I'm making that number up). On paper that looks pretty good.

"Hey we caught thousands of bots with a 95% accuracy rate!"

Now the hundred or so authors who got caught up in the system, won't see it that way. But to Amazon these authors are just a tiny column on the spreadsheet. They'll feed that data into the AI so it learns from the false positives and go have a celebratory luncheon.

And there's not much the authors who got screwed can do. Other than drop out of KU.  I'd bet real money Amazon sees this as a huge success and a win.

Welcome to the age of AI and autuomated data driven businesses.

Well the real problem with this system beyond the 5% who get caught up in it is that there are many providers who have already swapped towards saying they will get your competitors banned by spamming page reads to them. It's even a better business model tbh as it is basically guaranteed and instead of before where it was on a per-book basis, this is guaranteed three months worth of payments to get someone banned.

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
There have been some people that have notified Amazon to remove books from KU. I wonder if Amazon has actually removed them or said to wait until the KU 90 days is up.

I notified them myself last week and Amazon has not contracted me. I suspect they will just ignore my e-mail. Most of my mine run out in July.

Online Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
There have been some people that have notified Amazon to remove books from KU. I wonder if Amazon has actually removed them or said to wait until the KU 90 days is up.

I notified them myself last week and Amazon has not contracted me. I suspect they will just ignore my e-mail. Most of my mine run out in July.

Back in April, I asked the Zon how to immediately remove my books from KDP Select and they replied I needed to send them a list of titles and ASIN numbers. I did as instructed and the titles were removed that day with no questions asked or warnings given. Note: I never mentioned the pages stripped from my account or the threat of account termination. I kept things simple and straightforward.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:01:59 AM by Klendark »

Klendark

Offline Megan Michaels

• View Profile
    • Megan Michaels

I sent KDP a note last Friday to release me early from my Kindle Unlimited term for over 20 of my books.  Within six hours they released them, and let me know that I'd still receive page reads as they trickled in.  I was polite and kind when requesting it, but told them that I wanted to leave because authors being banned was frightening and I didn't want to risk my name or books.  I told them that I had never requested to leave early, and hoped that my reputation would garner me favor. 

It worked.  They did it and were kind about it.  So far I have made the same amount and some days MORE than when I was in KU.  So far, I feel relief that my account is safe, and concerns about money don't seem as frightening. 

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
I sent KDP a note last Friday to release me early from my Kindle Unlimited term for over 20 of my books.  Within six hours they released them, and let me know that I'd still receive page reads as they trickled in.  I was polite and kind when requesting it, but told them that I wanted to leave because authors being banned was frightening and I didn't want to risk my name or books.  I told them that I had never requested to leave early, and hoped that my reputation would garner me favor. 

It worked.  They did it and were kind about it.  So far I have made the same amount and some days MORE than when I was in KU.  So far, I feel relief that my account is safe, and concerns about money don't seem as frightening. 

And now you can put everything up wide. Good luck!

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile

Email again with the list of books and ASIN numbers you want removed from KU. Probably just got lost in the shuffle.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
saying they will get your competitors banned by spamming page reads to them. It's even a better business model tbh as it is basically guaranteed and instead of before where it was on a per-book basis, this is guaranteed three months worth of payments to get someone banned.
Has anyone followed up this? As in "I think I'm being deliberately targeted by a competitor to make you ban me, and thus remove their competition. Why are you allowing them to do this?" and see what sort of response you get?
Add to it, "Reader satisfaction comes from having plenty of good books, but if a competitor bots my books and they are removed by you, you are damaging reader satisfaction by doing so."
Just wondered if anyone had pursued this sort of line of response.

Offline Saboth

• View Profile
Has anyone followed up this? As in "I think I'm being deliberately targeted by a competitor to make you ban me, and thus remove their competition. Why are you allowing them to do this?" and see what sort of response you get?
Add to it, "Reader satisfaction comes from having plenty of good books, but if a competitor bots my books and they are removed by you, you are damaging reader satisfaction by doing so."
Just wondered if anyone had pursued this sort of line of response.

I sent Amazon (varying email addresses) as well as KDP support several emails about the whole situation, explaining I was doing nothing wrong and it's very unfair to be forced out over something I can't control. In each of them, I mentioned/explained the fact click farms can target whoever they want, but also the theory that people could simply target competitors who are hurting their rank and visibility and have them removed from the marketplace (I'm not sure if that is what is going on, but it's a viable theory). They didn't respond to a single one of my emails or contact form submissions, other than the one where I asked to be preemptively removed from KU in order to protect my account from something I have no control over. In that email, their only response was, "Sorry for the inconvenience. Your books have been removed from KDP Select." Inconvenience? No, an inconvenience is when the young man at the drive thru forgets to put a straw in my bag.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
I sent Amazon (varying email addresses) as well as KDP support several emails about the whole situation, explaining I was doing nothing wrong and it's very unfair to be forced out over something I can't control. In each of them, I mentioned/explained the fact click farms can target whoever they want, but also the theory that people could simply target competitors who are hurting their rank and visibility and have them removed from the marketplace (I'm not sure if that is what is going on, but it's a viable theory). They didn't respond to a single one of my emails or contact form submissions, other than the one where I asked to be preemptively removed from KU in order to protect my account from something I have no control over. In that email, their only response was, "Sorry for the inconvenience. Your books have been removed from KDP Select." Inconvenience? No, an inconvenience is when the young man at the drive thru forgets to put a straw in my bag.
Makes me wonder if KU removal is now bot operated as well, and the policy is now 'let anyone out if they ask for it', and give the relevant urls.
Did you try cc'ing to Mr B?

Offline Saboth

• View Profile
Makes me wonder if KU removal is now bot operated as well, and the policy is now 'let anyone out if they ask for it', and give the relevant urls.
Did you try cc'ing to Mr B?

Yeah, there was a bit of info floating around some author forums/groups where the emails to several top people (B included) were provided, and I sent one email to that list (I believe there were 8 people on that list). Like upper management at KDP, and several others. Never got a response.