mblart

Author Topic: First Book - how to spend $150 per month on promotions?  (Read 672 times)  

Offline Peter North

• View Profile
First Book - how to spend $150 per month on promotions?
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
Hello kboards,
I have my first book out, great! However, my only buyers are friends, colleagues etc.
I have a budget of $150 per month (yes I know it's peanuts but ya gotta start somewhere) to make an attempt to break out a little and attract unknown buyers. I've looked at Kindlepreneur's list of 127 best free and paid book promotion websites and I'm well and truly stuck as what to choose. I understand BookBub is highly recommended but I haven't got the reviews to attempt that yet.

I would be hugely grateful if anyone could take the time to let me know what paid sites if any did well for them.

Genre - fantasy.
Currently contracted to kindle select

Many thanks
Peter
B079H8D5K8: 100%

B07BV14XC8: 100%
Debut Series - Dark Fantasy
Peter North

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
Re: First Book - how to spend $150 per month on promotions?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
I would put it all in AMS and go for a slow burn. A paid promotion spike will only boost rank for a day or two unless you're extremely lucky.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
Interesting dilemma. If it were me, I'd be tempted to run just one promo site initially, as an experiment. You'll need to reduce the price to 99c (or free), and be aware that many sites have minimum review requirements, so read the small print carefully. Some good cheaper sites are Free Kindle Books and Tips (FKBT) $25, Fussy Librarian $14, People Reads $10, Ebooksoda $15. If you're prepared to splash out more of your budget on one site, make the book free and go for FreeBooksy $100.

I'd spend the rest of your budget on Amazon ads. They're pretty much essential for any marketing strategy these days, but they work well with KU and you don't need to reduce the price of the book. Set up a sponsored ad using other authors in your genre as keywords, bid the recommended 26c and set a daily budget of whatever you feel comfortable with. Run it until your budget runs out.

Since you have the next book on pre-order (well done you!), you might want to minimise your marketing spend now, and have a big blow-out for the release of book 2. But regard these first months as experimental. Tinker with your ads, try different promo sites, look into review services like Hidden Gems to open up more promo options and... enjoy the ride! And welcome to the wonderful (if crazy) world of self pubbing.  :D

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
AMS.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd do some preliminary work beforehand:

- create an opt-in landing page
- create an incentive for people to opt in (e.g. short story)
- update the "ask" in your front matter to pimp your incentive

I'd avoid the promo sites until you release book 2.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Peter North

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Hmmm . . . some interesting advice here. Thanks guys, I'll check out all the suggestions. Nice to have a narrower focus.
Peter

Peter North

Offline L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
$150 a MONTH for a marketing budget is nothing to sneeze at, frankly. I'm trying to stick with much, much less than that (for now).

You can do a lot with that and you should. You can search the forums for the many different advertising places people have used and I would try them all at least once. Not everyone's experience is the same.

I do agree with what some of the other people have said about waiting until Book 2 to do any hard advertising, but starting with AMS would do nicely just to keep you afloat. Spend maybe 1-2$ a day and play with the CPC, targeting popular authors in your genre along with the typical high cost search terms. Some people suggest having at least 300 different search terms (but that's a lot and I'm only around 50 but, hey).

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
I'm going to concur with everyone here. With just one book out I would be spending that money on AMS. That will keep the sales trickling in and keep your rank fairly stable.

When you have second (or better yet) third book out, then do a big promo push by making book one free for a few days and try to get a massive amount of downloads using all the promo sites.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »
Here's a shorter list to help narrow it down.

http://nicholaserik.com/promo-sites/

I would also look at AMS but do some research first.

http://authormarketingclub.com/ has a free submission tool you can use on their free tier membership which allows you to submit to various places that may take your book for nothing.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline Peter North

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
Even more great advice! Thanks everybody!

Peter North