Author Topic: Lowering the KNEP Cap from 3000 to 1000 Pages  (Read 8370 times)  

Online Alix Nichols

• Paris
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering the KNEP Cap from 3000 to 1000 Pages
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
This is the easiest way to make a change. Amazon won't hire people, reprogram the KU, review individual files more closely, or monitor for only original content. We have to make it easy on them. They've already lowered the cap once before. We'd be asking for them to do it again.
^^^This. I'll sign the letter. Authors would still able to have long books in KU, they just won't be paid for the extra pages. I have a full series box set that's over 1000 KENPC. I'll be happy to make less on it (and any future 1000+ KENPC title) if the new cap makes scamming KU no longer worth the candle. That's the ONLY way to get the scammers to stop stealing from the communal pot.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." Ernest Hemingway
"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth." - Albert Camus
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."- Maya Angelou

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
^^^This. I'll sign the letter. Authors would still able to have long books in KU, they just won't be paid for the extra pages. I have a full series box set that's over 1000 KENPC. I'll be happy to make less on it (and any future 1000+ KENPC title) if the new cap makes scamming KU no longer worth the candle. That's the ONLY way to get the scammers to stop stealing from the communal pot.

You should be paid what you've earned.

Most, maybe 90% of the "stuffed" books on Amazon are under 1000 KENP. Cruise New Adult and check product page counts then look at TOCs. You'll see two or three titles following the main title and their sum doesn't add up to 900 pages.

Putting out a 1000 KENP limit just gives stuffers something to AIM for and could well result in more stuffing.

Online Alix Nichols

• Paris
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »
1) cap the page read payout based on the price. If you're at $0.99, you can't make more than $0.35 for a full read of your book. If you're at $2.99, then you can only make $1.70. I suspect even less people will like that, but why should we get paid more for a full read of their book than the purchase price? That doesn't really make a lot of sense. This also solves the downward price inertia issue that's killing some genres.

I like it. Cheap units = cheap pages. If Amazon implements this and the 1000 KENPC cap, both of which can be automated, the scamming will cease overnight because it will become financially unviable.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." Ernest Hemingway
"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth." - Albert Camus
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."- Maya Angelou

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
I'd be okay with lowering it to 1500, but 1000? No. My series relaunch will result in a 270K word book. One book, not a box set. Yes, it has to be that long and no, that's not an editing issue. There are books by traditionally published authors with a comparable amount of pages.

Most, maybe 90% of the "stuffed" books on Amazon are under 1000 KENP. Cruise New Adult and check product page counts then look at TOCs. You'll see two or three titles following the main title and their sum doesn't add up to 900 pages.

Putting out a 1000 KENP limit just gives stuffers something to AIM for and could well result in more stuffing.

This.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:23:16 PM by C. Rysalis »

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline MmmmmPie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »

Alternative idea (just spitballing)

1) cap the page read payout based on the price. If you're at $0.99, you can't make more than $0.35 for a full read of your book. If you're at $2.99, then you can only make $1.70. I suspect even less people will like that, but why should we get paid more for a full read of their book than the purchase price? That doesn't really make a lot of sense. This also solves the downward price inertia issue that's killing some genres.

Your list of solutions makes a lot of sense. Count me in. I particularly like the one listed above. It makes zero sense that any author would earn 35 cents if someone BUYS a book, a much larger amount if someone only borrows it. If Amazon simply capped the amount you could earn per borrow at the amount you could earn per buy, it would solve a ton of these problems.

People will say, "Oh sure, but then the scammers will just charge 10 bucks for their book." GREAT! This will make it a ton harder for them to gift-card their way to the top, and will have the additional benefit of stopping the spiral to the bottom, pricing-wise. Right now, my genre (new adult) is packed with 99-cent stuffed books, making it nearly impossible for a book priced at $3.99 or even $2.99 to gain any traction.

Online Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 02:28:41 PM »
No.

1000 KENP is roughly equivalent to 200,000 words. In a genre like epic fantasy, word counts are often higher than 200,000 for a single book. You'd be cheating authors out of legitimate page reads they've earned. It would force authors to release a single book in multiple parts, which would annoy readers.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
I have no idea if Amazon already does this, but it would be nice if there was some threshold introduced into their algos.  For example: If a 3000 KENPC title gets one sale for every 100 borrows with all complete reads and is only borrowed by new accounts in the 30-day free trial window, it might trigger a human review.  Or if an account in that 30-day free trial window borrows 30 books, each of them 3000 KENPC, and finishes all of them, and then cancels, maybe that could trigger a human review.  Or maybe just having a human review of all All Star titles each month.  I dunno.  It seems like the stuffed and botted books are pretty easy to spot by just normal eyes glancing at the Top 100 list.

But perhaps the issue is that there is very little financial benefit to Amazon to take these folks down.  If a single scammer is spending $2k a month on ads, that's a financial hit for Amazon if they stop the scam.  And suddenly all of the regular authors like you and me are being pressured to spend more and more on ads to compete.  From Amazon's viewpoint, it is a Win-Win!  All these gift card [mutual admiration society]s?  Amazon only sees the money, not where the giftcards are coming from.  On paper, it looks like a crapton of giftcards that are being redeemed at a lightning pace.  I dunno.  I would love nothing else than to see these scammy practices ended, but it's a hard sell to tell a company to eat their profits for fairness.  In the long term, I think companies understand you've GOT to handle these things to prevent driving away real customers.  But in the short term?  I'd hate to be the one trying to convince the boss that losing tens to hundreds of thousands of ad dollars every month from scammers is a sound business strategy.  It IS a sound business strategy.  But it's a jagged pill.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Online Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
At the current cap, even Martin's LONGEST book wouldn't fill the 3000 KNEP. He'd be lucky to reach 2/3rds of the limit. He could stuff a Game of Thrones (292k) and Clash of Kings (318k) into a single file if he wished.

And yes, after the change, he would have to cut his books in half. Then again, he needs special considerations from TOR/their printers in order to even print a paperback that large. He is an exception, not the rule. Especially as most agents/editors advice fantasy writers to aim for 80k-110k words, 150k words max.

How many KU authors out there legitimately have a 200k+ single title book--not a boxed series, a single story. It is an incredibly small number. We shouldn't make exceptions for a tiny percentage of writers while the community at large is suffering as a result of the exploits.

Or Amazon could just deal with the people who are engaging in stuffing. It is not at all uncommon for epic fantasy authors to exceed 200,000 words. Not everyone in self-publishing writes short books.

This proposal would drive epic fantasy authors out of KU, and KU has a thriving epic fantasy market.

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
Or Amazon could just deal with the people who are engaging in stuffing.

Here's a novel idea!  :D

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
The problem with bonus content is one of enforcement: how does one determine 10%? Does the foreword count? Copyright? An excerpt? What about 11%? 15%? Sure, there can be automated mechanisms, but that requires programming. It also requires Amazon to get it right. Considering KDP flags my books for typos that appear in every dictionary on the planet, forgive me if I'm wary of any automated system combing my book for "bonus" content and then mistaking an index or afterword as such.

Amazon could partner with Turnitin, a plagiarism-detection site. I use it all the time in teaching. It's basically a massive database consisting of the web, almost all academic journal articles, and all submitted work. You feed new work into it, and it checks that work against its existing database while adding the new work to the database. What you get back is a report with a percentage of matched text. It's not a percentage of plagiarized text, as properly marked and noted quotations will often show up as matched. But it does conveniently indicate which papers probably need a closer look and what areas of them need attention. It seems to me Amazon could productively work with a site like this by integrating the tool into the book file upload process. It would automatically (<--key element) identify and kick back submitted book files with a level of match to a currently published book(s) that exceeds a certain percentage. It'd catch scraped text; it'd catch duplication. It's very effective -- you can't fool it by just going through and making small changes here and there. And if universities and high schools all over the U.S. can afford it, I'm thinking it can't be *that* expensive.

An aside ... I wonder if Amazon has left the Cloud Reader unfixed as a honey trap. The Cloud Reader must be what page-read botters are using now. If a particular account is reporting lots of page-reads from the Cloud Reader ... bingo, it's a bot?

This proposal would drive epic fantasy authors out of KU, and KU has a thriving epic fantasy market.

You really think epic fantasy authors would leave en masse? They could still make $4.49 (1,000 KENP) or $6.74 (1,500 KENP) per full read (using the March figure of 0.00449). That's a pretty nice chunk of change. To match those payouts outside KU, they'd need to be able to sell books at $6.99 and $9.99, respectively.

Offline MmmmmPie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
Or Amazon could just deal with the people who are engaging in stuffing. It is not at all uncommon for epic fantasy authors to exceed 200,000 words. Not everyone in self-publishing writes short books. This proposal would drive epic fantasy authors out of KU, and KU has a thriving epic fantasy market.

No one disputes that Amazon should deal with the scammers. And I do sympathize with those who write super long books. But at least you'd have some way to deal with this if the 1,000 cap were implemented. Dividing up your books might not be your first choice, but at least it's an option.

For those of us in genres that have been impacted by these scammers, we're seriously short of options, unless we want to stuff and bot, too. Until your genre is personally impacted, you have no idea what this is like, to have most of the top 100 spots claimed by 99-cent stuffed books that earn 10 bucks a borrow.

The sad truth is, right now, there ARE authors being drummed out of KU. Plenty of them. Most of us are in romance, but the scammers have slimed their way into other genres, too. If this keeps up long enough, they'll reach epic fantasy soon enough.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
... cap the page read payout based on the price. If you're at $0.99, you can't make more than $0.35 for a full read of your book. If you're at $2.99, then you can only make $1.70. I suspect even less people will like that, but why should we get paid more for a full read of their book than the purchase price? That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It really doesn't make sense that one would make more from a borrow than a sale. But then, look at how people got so upset that a short story made the same as a novel in KUv1. People are going to complain, mostly about things that personally hurt them. The thing about capping the payout is, you'd know going on that you were limited to a certain number of pages for a payout. You could write whatever length you want, but only be paid X amount for page reads.

I think some people would rather deal with the scamming than have their payouts capped. It's clear Amazon doesn't want to take any of the steps that have been outlined over and over and over and over again, for years. Years, folks. The above quoted procedure seems to be a viable solution, easily implemented with bots. Cause Amazon ain't hiring nobody they don't have to.

Of course, the only real, dependable solution is to simply scrap the program and go back to selling books.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline MmmmmPie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
It really doesn't make sense that one would make more from a borrow than a sale. But then, look at how people got so upset that a short story made the same as a novel in KUv1. People are going to complain, mostly about things that personally hurt them.

While I do agree that complaints are more likely when people are impacted personally, I think you've hit on something pretty important here. In both cases -- meaning the case of a short story earning the same as a long novel AND the case of a borrow earning more than a sale -- the scenarios are oddly disconnected from real market forces.

In the real world, it costs more to buy something than to borrow something. Similarly, in the real world, a ten-page story does not earn the same as a 300-page novel. When Amazon imposes conditions that defy traditional market forces, things can very quickly get out of whack. And those unnatural conditions are easily exploited by people more interested in making quick cash rather than building a true customer base.

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »
In all due respect to the authors of longer books, under the proposed 1000 KENP cap, most of these authors would still be making more for a full-read borrow than they would for a sale. I'm sensitive to the concerns of people who write longer books, but most of them wouldn't be getting ripped off - let's just do the math.

The standard indie pricing is $4.99/$5.99 for epic fantasy (where books commonly trend 100k+). I'm sure a few folks can charge more, but those are the standards. At those prices, you make $3.50 minus delivery costs (so about $3.40) and $4.20 (so about $4.10). For a full-read borrow, assuming your book maxes out the 1,000 cap, you'd be making $4 (assuming a worst case scenario of $0.004/page) - 15% more than if you priced at $4.99, and 2.5% less than what you'd make at $5.99.

That's way better than most genres already, which makes sense given how the program is set up: KU favors and rewards longer books. That's fine. But let's assume that the 1000 KENP cap + single title only rules come into effect, and stabilize the payout around 0.0045. Then you're making $4.50 a full read - 30% and 10% more than you were before. Or hell, let's get crazy - it bumps things up to 0.005. Then you're making 40% and 20% more.

Dying on the hill of principle seems like a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation. I'm not being snarky, I'm just being real. If you wrote some 300,000 word doorstop that's getting full reads, yeah you'll be hurt - but is it really "fair," to be honest, that you get paid $13 or whatever for a full read versus $4 for a sale, anyway? That's the current system, sure, and to be clear, I begrudge no one for getting that amount for their work. Good for them and fair play. But a 2x or 3x skew between reads and sales payouts doesn't seem economically viable or make much sense, objectively speaking. That seems more like a bug in the system than a feature.

Regardless of questions of fairness/balance, the truth remains: the number of legitimate single title books exceeding 200,000 words has to be vanishingly small. 0.5%? 0.25%? Most authors would be unaffected by this. Many would, however, be devastated if KU implodes. No idea if KU is in danger, but the current issues, if unaddressed, could threaten the program entirely. I'm not speaking for myself, there, since many of my titles are not in KU. I'm just looking at this from a sustainability argument: 97.5% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Again, any proposed changes should be based on what solves the biggest number of issues, thus benefiting the greatest number of authors, while harming the fewest. I am not saying that the 1000 KENP cap is the answer, merely that it solves many issues, and presents downsides that hurt a very limited section of the author population.

There is no solution that doesn't hurt someone. The goal is to minimize the number harmed, and also minimize the magnitude of the harm itself. On balance, I suspect many more epic fantasy authors would be helped by these changes, rather than harmed.

Any changes must ultimately be compatible with the biggest fish in the eBook market: romance. It's 50% of the eBook market, and pretty much dictates the long-term viability of KU. The sustainability of KU - or any subscription program - hinges on the ability to A) keep quality romance authors in the fold while B) not being killed by "whale" romance readers or C) outright scams. KU seemed to be doing a decent job of the first two points (whether Amazon is subsidizing it or not is an open question; regardless, whatever it cost them as a loss leader is an acceptable expense, provided they don't have to pay for a bunch of inflated reads to prop up the diluted pool and keep their best authors happy). Then C came along and looks like it's shooing big authors away - not yet in droves, but certainly a caravan or two - while encouraging others to book stuff, thus double-dip page reads or grab more page reads from the whale readers than they otherwise would be able (B). But those occasional double-dip/extra reads from book stuffing are a minor issue in comparison to the Megoladon type of botting/click-farm scams that make the whale readers look like plankton.

Nick

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
Spitballing here, but dropping the cap isn't really the issue is it? It's stopping the stuffers. What's to stop a scammer from releasing a ton of 1000 page books rather than slightly fewer 3000 page books?  And would a glut of 1000 page books in the market potentially harm writers who write really long books and might end up close to that cap even tho they might be entirely honest writers and not scamming?

Right. The issue isn't so much length as it is people gaming the system in an effort to gain more page reads. Plus, a 3,000-page cap would hurt authors who write series exclusively in KU and release KU box sets of that series, too. (As far as I know, this is still allowed. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I wonder if it'd do Amazon any good to use or create software like what universities use for plagiarism protection. Instead of checking against other books, though, they could use it to crawl the internet and see if the content exists anywhere else. (I'm thinking specifically of a book that was stuffed with email newsletters. Most providers archive newsletters online, usually for subscribers to access if they can't see the email in their inbox.)

I don't know, honestly. There doesn't seem to be a good solution to this problem, other than Amazon employing a whole department to check books before greenlighting them for KU. That could get very expensive for them, so it's not a practical solution.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline A.R. Williams

• Virginia
  • SF & Fantasy Writer
    • View Profile
    • A-R-Williams.Com
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 04:35:01 PM »

Plus--Amazon has already lowered the cap once before. This is an easy, effective, and fair solution, and one Amazon is equipped to implement immediately. 

So, because lowering the cap the first time was so effective, easy, fair and efficient--you need to do it again?

It failed the first time because it didn't attack the problem. That's why there are still 30 page Book Stuffing threads.

It might work the second time though, I'm sure the scammers will get the message and know that Amazon is serious this time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:38:35 PM by A.R. Williams »

Online Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
So what stops the stuffers from simply publishing three "books" at 1000KENP instead of one at 3000KENP? It's slightly more inconvenient for them, but they know how to game the system. They'll do the same thing. Hurting legitimate authors is not the answer.

As someone mentioned above, there are plagiarism checkers you can work with. If a book isn't explicitly stated to be a box set (which I still believe is considered okay) and it contains huge chunks of other books, then the program will see that and Amazon can respond accordingly.

Justifying hurting some authors because more authors are getting hurt in a different genre is not the answer. It's nothing more than a temporary band aid and fails to address the root of the problem. If it were an actual, viable solution, I'd deal with it. But it won't work.

Offline JulesWright

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  And honestly, even if something was over 3,000 before the cap, if real readers were actually reading and enjoying these massive tomes then it would all be legit.

And yes I think the scammers will just make up for it in volume.

So, because lowering the cap the first time was so effective, easy, fair and efficient--you need to do it again?

It failed the first time because it didn't attack the problem. That's why there are still 30 page Book Stuffing threads.

It might work the second time though, I'm sure the scammers will get the message and know that Amazon is serious this time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:10:23 PM by JulesWright »

Offline sammie997

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 05:06:35 PM »
First of all, this is a mathematically silly idea if the objective is more visibility in KU versus bookstuffers. They will just create more, smaller books clogging up the charts 3x as much to make the same income. This would make the problem worse, not better.

Second, LOTS of authors (epic fantasy primarily) write books longer than 200k (1000 KENP-ish.) Cut the books up, you say? Where should Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix be chopped, which contains 257k words? How about Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer, coming in as over 1,200 print pages?

Just let them not get paid for those pages, you say?

So, let me get this straight: someone who might spend 2-3 years on a tome, creating an entirely new world with its own cultures, languages, races, economies, and geography, then hire an illustrator to create a map for that world, then spend $1,000-3,000 on cover art, then spend $3k+ in developmental and line editing on a 250-300k word book, all so that they might possibly create something that could someday become a timeless classic, should be paid LESS PER PAGE overall so that your man-chest covered 55k romance novel that you wrote in a month can have more visibility versus bookstuffers?

How about this - since the vast majority of the bookstuffers are in the romance genre, maybe romance writers should get half the KU rate. That sound fair? Or maybe just kick them all out of KU. No? Don't like that idea, do ya, when you're the one having the monetary value of your work reduced?

You lose all moral high ground when you're willing to throw an entire genre of writers under the bus so you can make a few extra bucks. And it wouldn't even give you the desired result.

Offline writerbiter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
So what stops the stuffers from simply publishing three "books" at 1000KENP instead of one at 3000KENP? It's slightly more inconvenient for them, but they know how to game the system. They'll do the same thing. Hurting legitimate authors is not the answer.

As someone mentioned above, there are plagiarism checkers you can work with. If a book isn't explicitly stated to be a box set (which I still believe is considered okay) and it contains huge chunks of other books, then the program will see that and Amazon can respond accordingly.

Justifying hurting some authors because more authors are getting hurt in a different genre is not the answer. It's nothing more than a temporary band aid and fails to address the root of the problem. If it were an actual, viable solution, I'd deal with it. But it won't work.

Those who are stuffing their books to the 3000 limit are using their earnings to advertise heavily. THOUSANDS of dollars a day in ads. They aren't profiting much--75% or more goes to their ads, their ghostwriters, their full-time staff, and their covers. Cutting the KNEP will reduce their earnings by a third. They won't be able to publish and effectively launch double or triple the amount of books with one third of their "normal" earnings. It just won't work.

Amazon is not going to devote their servers to plagiarism checkers for the hundreds of thousands of books published on their site. It isn't feasible. They won't dedicate the time or processing power to it. We can't ask them to change their fundamental system--it's not important enough to them as the customers have no issue with bonus content. But limiting the cap IS something they've done before which requires no more effort, manpower, or processing power, and it will NOT impact customer experience which is all Amazon cares about

Also, epic fantasy may have SOME authors with 200k+ word epics, but they are an exception and a very large minority. A very, very small percent of authors write a single title book that large. You--they--are outliers, and a cutoff has to be made somewhere. Some innocent people will get caught, but the overall experience for EVERY author in the KU will be better as the page inflation is already cutting into YOUR earnings since those exploiting the system are taking larger amounts of the pot.

Offline JulesWright

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »
You may be right writerbiter, but they still have economies of scale on their side and they can adjust and do it on sheer volume.

The problem is fake readers/incentivized readers and fake page reads.

Anyway, how many of them go  up to 3,000 KENPC now?  I have seen quite a few in the 1,500 to 2,000 range.

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »
You may be right writerbiter, but they still have economies of scale on their side and they can adjust and do it on sheer volume.

The problem is fake readers/incentivized readers and fake page reads.

Anyway, how many of them go  up to 3,000 KENPC now?  I have seen quite a few in the 1,500 to 2,000 range.

Most don't hit 1000 KENP, which is why the idea has zero merits.

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
In all due respect to the authors of longer books, under the proposed 1000 KENP cap, most of these authors would still be making more for a full-read borrow than they would for a sale. I'm sensitive to the concerns of people who write longer books, but most of them wouldn't be getting ripped off - let's just do the math.

You're assuming per-page payouts will stay the same. We all know they can vary quite a bit, and can dip quite low at times. I wouldn't be surprised if the average keeps on dropping in the not too distant future. The  missing KENP might, at some point, make the difference between earning the equivalent of a sale and earning less.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:34:31 PM by C. Rysalis »

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »

Most "legitimate" authors only use one or two bonus books, but that can easily be over 1k KENPC. IME, 1k KENPC is about 160k words.

Most marketers use 4-5+ bonus books.

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
You're assuming per-page payouts will stay the same. We all know they can vary quite a bit, and can dip quite low at times. I wouldn't be surprised if the average keeps on dropping in the not too distant future. The  missing KENP might, at some point, make the difference between earning the equivalent of a sale and earning less.

Why would the page read rate go down if all the gray hat and outright scammed reads would be removed? It's possible, but doesn't strike me as likely. Unless Amazon is subsidizing the pot and then would drop it to cut costs. Which is possible, but that's another issue entirely.

Further, I based all my estimates around one of the lowest KENP rates on record (the lowest?) - 10% lower than March's. Which is not to say it can't go lower, but it strikes me as supremely unlikely that all the side shenanigans would be fixed, only for the payout to suddenly crater.

Nick