Author Topic: Amazon - It gets worse - check your sales!  (Read 3573 times)  

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Amazon - It gets worse - check your sales!
« on: April 13, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
I've had nearly US$500 worth of sales go missing in the last 10 hours.

I know they're sales, because the first of them came from March 30, and I have March printed out.

Mainly from my current release, but also spread over my other performing books.

My KU values are unchanged for March. This is purely a sales removal.

I've put a please explain and return my sales, into KDP. It will be interesting to see what the answer is, because I cant think of any reason why sales should be stripped.

Anyone else lost sales suddenly?

Genres: Space Opera, Spiritual, Games.
TimothyEllis | Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | TimothyEllisAuthor | The Hunter Legacy | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | [url=http://eepurl.com/

Offline FF

• View Profile
Re: Amazon - It gets worse - check your sales!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
Oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope it's a glitch. :(

Offline jb1111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 03:49:23 AM »
Yeah, hope it's just a glitch for you. Nothing odd here (not on KU, though).

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:10:14 AM »
My one sale for March is still there. Sometimes it's less stressful have very few sales and page reads  ::).

Hope your sales are returned  :o

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 04:26:47 AM »
I didn't have any sales for March, just reads & they're still there (nowhere near enough to be in danger of being bot given) :)

I'm assuming it's just a glitch, I can't think of any reason why sales would disappear, unless it was returns, but don't they show up sooner (within a week or so?)
I hope it gets sorted soon for you.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:32:09 AM »
unless it was returns,

Returns I can see. I just had one for a sale on a book bought over 2 months ago, and which hasn't even been live for a month.

So returns are showing up.

This was not a returns issue, and its too big and too even over 15 days for it to be credit card failure to pay.

Something else happened, and my gut tells me no-one was supposed to notice it.

TimothyEllis | Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | TimothyEllisAuthor | The Hunter Legacy | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | [url=http://eepurl.com/

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:50:35 AM »
Returns I can see. I just had one for a sale on a book bought over 2 months ago, and which hasn't even been live for a month.

So returns are showing up.

This was not a returns issue, and its too big and too even over 15 days for it to be credit card failure to pay.

Something else happened, and my gut tells me no-one was supposed to notice it.

No, I didn't think it could be returns, hopefully, it will right itself or that you get a suitable reply to your query.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 04:54:43 AM »
Ooh, maybe a reporting issue? Might that explain why my Amazon sales have dropped a bit in April while everything else is up? Amazon is usually 60-70% of my income, but it's around 42% this month to date. Maybe I did something to annoy the algo.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:55:32 AM »
Ooh, maybe a reporting issue? Might that explain why my Amazon sales have dropped a bit in April while everything else is up? Amazon is usually 60-70% of my income, but it's around 42% this month to date. Maybe I did something to annoy the algo.

April sales are worse than March but it just maybe a natural fall.

Add - long have I given up pondering the way and mysteries of the Zon. Thinking of joining the Sith instead.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:59:43 AM by solo »

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
Wow.  Speechless here.  This has been one hell of a month for Amazon.  There's no way this could all be returns.  I hope you get some answers, and of course your $$$ back. 

Do you have any screenshots of your pre-vanishing act sales?  It might help beef up your case if you can put an exact amount on what's gone.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:27:17 AM »
Do you have any screenshots of your pre-vanishing act sales?  It might help beef up your case if you can put an exact amount on what's gone.

I have the original March summary on paper. So I can put it next to the current report and send it to them.

So far, no response.

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 06:42:14 AM »
If it were fraudulent purchases, would it show up as a "return" or just vanish?

Could this be related to the (customer) accounts that were closed?

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 06:46:51 AM »
If it were fraudulent purchases, would it show up as a "return" or just vanish?

Could this be related to the (customer) accounts that were closed?

That has occurred to me. But why then am I the only one who seems to have been effected, or noticed it?  If it was closed accounts related, I'd expect to to be very widespread, the same as the KU reads vanishing is widespread.

Still no response, so just guessing.

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 08:03:34 AM »
Hey man... your post got me looking at my BR screens. I found that I had a drop of a few hundred in March, but when I investigated, I learned that it was just the KU payout adjustment.

You're REALLY sure that your numbers were SALES not KU reads, right? Right. So WTF happened? I can only think that it was suspended accts, but even if that was the case, those accts made PURCHASES, not borrows, so WTF????

Good luck, and keep us posted, K?
(fingers crossed for you, cuz it could just as easily happen to anyone else here... like ME.  :'(

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
So I finally had a response from KDP, after sending them proof.

They told me because what I sent them wasn't their own spreadsheets, it wasn't proof, because it was from a 3rd party they didn't support.

The only way you can prove anything is apparently to save all the spreadsheets every day, using a time dated file name, so you can send them the original one before they wiped it clean later on doing something shady.

This is what zero accountability means. Instead of using proper accounting, and putting extra records on with negative amounts when something is removed, which anyone looking can see and do the math, they simply delete the file and replace it with one which says whatever they want it to say. Then they point at the file and say 'nothing has changed'. This isn't accounting, its fraud.

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 06:24:44 AM »
Wait... WHAAT?
Let me make sure I got this right:
You d/l and saved your Amazon report showing the sales. You then sent that ss to Amazon and they're denying that as evidence? Is that correct?

Frankly I'm kind of surprised this thread's not getting a lot more comments.
I thought that the ss would have some kind of stamp on it showing Amazon as the creator.

Are you going to see if you can escalate this? B/c it sounds like who ever you're dealing with is just trying to get your case off their desk.

(Off to d/l all of my 2018 reports...)

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 06:25:47 AM »
My one sale for March is still there. Sometimes it's less stressful have very few sales and page reads  ::).

Hope your sales are returned  :o

This!  I see I have competition, Jan,  -neck and neck - who will win? Haha!  ;)
Kick Anxiety & Live in the Now: 80%

Meditation, Murder & Mayhem - Izzie Firecracker 2: 95%

Haunted Scottish Castle - Izzie Firecracker 3: 5%
Janet Butler Male | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 06:28:56 AM »
So I finally had a response from KDP, after sending them proof.

They told me because what I sent them wasn't their own spreadsheets, it wasn't proof, because it was from a 3rd party they didn't support.

The only way you can prove anything is apparently to save all the spreadsheets every day, using a time dated file name, so you can send them the original one before they wiped it clean later on doing something shady.

This is what zero accountability means. Instead of using proper accounting, and putting extra records on with negative amounts when something is removed, which anyone looking can see and do the math, they simply delete the file and replace it with one which says whatever they want it to say. Then they point at the file and say 'nothing has changed'. This isn't accounting, its fraud.

I went and checked my own books for March and Im about 30 short, but Im not in KU and ran no discounts for the month. My guess is its the cutover between the months where some payments failed and others have not cleared by the end of March when they snapshot the numbers.

Im not saying thats whats happened to you, but 30 books is around $120 to me, and this sort of gap occurs every month. Maybe Amazon are experiencing more payment failures than usual, or its tied to the banning of customer accounts, couldnt say. But Im positive no scammer bought my books at 5.99, nor have I had ranks worth fighting for, plus the issue is spread across many titles and not just one.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 06:29:35 AM »
Wait... WHAAT?
Let me make sure I got this right:
You d/l and saved your Amazon report showing the sales. You then sent that ss to Amazon and they're denying that as evidence? Is that correct?

No. I sent them a printed report from Book Report, compared to the current showing report.

They refused to even look at it, because it was third party.

Proof for them is their own spreadsheets, but no-one takes a copy of them every day, hence no-one can prove anything to them.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 06:37:26 AM »
I've had nearly US$500 worth of sales go missing in the last 10 hours.

I know they're sales, because the first of them came from March 30, and I have March printed out.

Mainly from my current release, but also spread over my other performing books.

My KU values are unchanged for March. This is purely a sales removal.

I've put a please explain and return my sales, into KDP. It will be interesting to see what the answer is, because I cant think of any reason why sales should be stripped.

Anyone else lost sales suddenly?
What do you mean by they have gone missing? Where are you looking?

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:03 AM »
What do you mean by they have gone missing? Where are you looking?

I print out the BR month summary, within an hour or so of the month ending in the US.

13 days later, my daily figures change, and I go back to March's month printout, and find most of the sales figures are different.

So direct printout vs the same screen display, both different and supposed to be the same.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
I print out the BR month summary, within an hour or so of the month ending in the US.

13 days later, my daily figures change, and I go back to March's month printout, and find most of the sales figures are different.

So direct printout vs the same screen display, both different and supposed to be the same.
I don't know what to suggest. If it were a small amount, I would suggest an exchange rate change, but not $500.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 07:03:39 AM »
They're having some technical issues this month, for sure. They sent me a Kindle Quality notice with the wrong title and ASIN (the book wasn't even by me.)

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »
They're having some technical issues this month, for sure. They sent me a Kindle Quality notice with the wrong title and ASIN (the book wasn't even by me.)

Almighty Zahqua!  :o

Actually, I had something similar. They sent me a quality report on one of my books, with 8 problems. 2 were spelling errors. The other 6 were rubbish, where the quote of what should be, was identical to the quote of what was currently wrong. In other words, no problem at all. Big joke. On us.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 07:13:17 AM »
I don't know what to suggest. If it were a small amount, I would suggest an exchange rate change, but not $500.

Timothy's been having some spectacular sales, so $500 worth of lost sales might be a minute proportion of the total. I think TwistedTales is right, it's just end of month reconciliation, and a few things that fell down between the cushions get brought into the light and either added in or tossed out, depending on whether the sale went through properly or not (ie the credit card payment worked).

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...