Author Topic: Amazon - It gets worse - check your sales!  (Read 3572 times)  

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: Amazon - It gets worse - check your sales!
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 07:22:36 AM »
Timothy's been having some spectacular sales, so $500 worth of lost sales might be a minute proportion of the total.

It bit a large chunk out of March.

But for April, it will get lost in the exchange rate. It has been a really great month, and even though the book is now falling rapidly, the tail is wagging nicely still.

I think TwistedTales is right, it's just end of month reconciliation, and a few things that fell down between the cushions get brought into the light and either added in or tossed out, depending on whether the sale went through properly or not (ie the credit card payment worked).

You could be right. It might well be. But if it was legit, why are Amazon NOT up front about it? Why is there not some form of adjustment on the spreadsheets, with an indication the payment failed. That way we could see why the figures changed.

The way they do it now reeks of fraud, when it should just be standard accounting practice.

Why are they hiding this sort of thing?

Genres: Space Opera, Spiritual, Games.
TimothyEllis | Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | TimothyEllisAuthor | The Hunter Legacy | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | [url=http://eepurl.com/

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »

But for April, it will get lost in the exchange rate. It has been a really great month, and even though the book is now falling rapidly, the tail is wagging nicely still.

You could be right. It might well be. But if it was legit, why are Amazon NOT up front about it? Why is there not some form of adjustment on the spreadsheets, with an indication the payment failed. That way we could see why the figures changed.

The way they do it now reeks of fraud, when it should just be standard accounting practice.

My guess is they don't want to write an instruction manual for those of us who have no clue. Seriously, the ignorant questions we often see must be multiplied by thousands as received by Amazon. If you view your situation from the other end of the scope, of course they shouldn't have to justify or explain numbers that some third party came up with.

Which is not to say they don't make bizarre "adjustments" from time to time.

Maybe ask Book Report to compare the KDP official spreadsheet with their report. See what they say. BR has far fewer customers to keep happy and might be able to explain without resorting to boilerplate.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 07:49:24 AM »
Maybe ask Book Report to compare the KDP official spreadsheet with their report. See what they say. BR has far fewer customers to keep happy and might be able to explain without resorting to boilerplate.

As I understand it, BR doesn't store the raw data. It keeps recalculating off KDP's spreadsheets all the time. So they wont have any alternative data to compare with. As soon as the spreadsheet is replaced, BR will recalculate off the new one.

TimothyEllis | Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | TimothyEllisAuthor | The Hunter Legacy | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | [url=http://eepurl.com/

Offline AuthorX

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
BR has been known to experience reporting errors and has overreportrd/underreportrd in the past. I would not count on the data there being accurate all the time. Once you involve a third party, the chances of discrepancies increase.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
April sales are worse than March but it just maybe a natural fall.

My experience also. (Draft2Digital also way down, while paperback sales are robust.)
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:24 AM »

BR has been known to experience reporting errors and has overreportrd/underreportrd in the past. I would not count on the data there being accurate all the time. Once you involve a third party, the chances of discrepancies increase.

I notice differences between Book Report and KDP all the time. You're using a third party as evidence. Of course Amazon has no idea what you're talking about.

I don't think Book Report factors in currency exchanges, so that may be where the discrepancy came from. Amazon doesn't seem to calculate exchange rates until they release payment reports (a few days before getting paid).

When I'm recording sales, I record from KDP. Once in a while I pop into Book Report, but that's after I look at KDP. I don't even look at dollar amounts -- just sales numbers.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
I'm not talking about money.

I'm talking about actual sales numbers.

And BR gets those straight out of the KDP spreadsheets. No conversion, just counting.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
Seriously, it doesn't matter.

It happened to no-one but me, so its not worth discussing any further.

Can the mods close this thread please.

Offline Bookread

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
Oh wow. Ouch. I hope it's corrected soon. I'm sorry to hear this.
* * *  Join Our Writers Club!  * * *

www.ryanlanz.com/writers-club

-Free editing
-Free blurb coaching
-Free query critique
-Free book coaching
-Free manuscript critique
-Free "one sheets" for your book
-Up to 50% off on over 40 writer-related services

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
I think it might be a glitch. I've only had 1 sale today and a little over 200 page reads and that would be very low for me. I never panic when that happens because it usually gets adjusted the next day. You might want to contact them if you don't see a fix soon, though.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 07:20:38 AM »
Add - long have I given up pondering the way and mysteries of the Zon. Thinking of joining the Sith instead.

Welcome to the Order, Acolyte.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
Book Report has had multiple issues since their last grand "upgrade".  I'll be ending my subscription the end of this month. The value add just isn't there.

BR Kingsolver | Author website