Author Topic: Amazon fire stick  (Read 684 times)  

Offline SteveJohnson

• View Profile
    • HP Printer Customer Care Number
Amazon fire stick
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:22:07 AM »
I really love it .. its so cool

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon fire stick
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
Welcome to KBoards.  :)

Streaming in general or the Fire stick in particular?  If the Fire stick, what makes it different from other streaming devices?  I never had cable or satellite TV.  OTA only.  Though I've been streaming for a while, I'm still blown away by the quantity of series and movie choices.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline paladinx333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
My internet is due to get faster next month, perhaps I should consider getting a streaming stick of some kind. As I remember there is also an empty HDMI port on the back of the television. There may be a Fire Stick in my future.

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:55 AM »
I'm not sure I see the value of a Fire Stick with modern TVs. Mine can connect to the internet and do streaming from Amazon and other providers. Am I missing something or is this for older technology without an internal streaming capability?
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline paladinx333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
Most modern televisions do offer some kind of direct internet connection. Devices like the Fire Stick usually come with additional features besides the ability to stream. One of the Fire Stick models comes with an Alexa Voice Remote that allows you to control the device with voice commands. There is a stick from Roku that lets you stream content from your phone to your television. The television I have isn't a connected device (too old, too cheap) so I would need a stick of some kind to view streamed content on it.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »
Most modern televisions do offer some kind of direct internet connection. Devices like the Fire Stick usually come with additional features besides the ability to stream. One of the Fire Stick models comes with an Alexa Voice Remote that allows you to control the device with voice commands. There is a stick from Roku that lets you stream content from your phone to your television. The television I have isn't a connected device (too old, too cheap) so I would need a stick of some kind to view streamed content on it.

I've got the Alexa Fire Stick but I had to put it in a room where there were no other Alexa devices. I started out with the Roku before the Fire Stick came out but I've had difficulty pairing them and the last one (third) was defective. That's what made me decide to get the Fire.

Easy setup and much easier to find what I want. I just ask Alexa to find Midsomer Murders, for example, and there it is.

I did get GS a smart TV and he didn't need any streaming device with it.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »
I do have an older TV.  IIRC, old enough to be my first flat screen.  It ain't smart.  ;)  It works though.  Good picture.  It has only two HDMI ports so I had to get an HDMI switch box to hook up my TiVo, Fire TV, Apple TV, and DVD player.  I got a mess of spaghetti behind my TV. 

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.