Poll

Should Canadian/U.K./Australian authors set crime fiction in U.S. city to better capture U.S. market?

Yes, absolutely it will help
3 (5.9%)
No, stick to your roots
20 (39.2%)
No, only the story matters
16 (31.4%)
No, readers don't care
9 (17.6%)
Yes, but make sure it is authentic
2 (3.9%)
More explanation needed? Vote above but find corresponding forum question under "City setting question"
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Where to set your crime mystery fiction if you are NOT American?  (Read 966 times)  

Offline kathrinlake4@gmail.com

• Writers Who Love to Write
    • View Profile
Should Canadian/U.K./Australian authors set crime fiction in U.S. city to better capture U.S. market?
The Happy Hammock, a humorous romantic journey based on true stories of life in Mexico. Kind of Under Tuscan Sunnish but funnier and significant for writers.
Author of The Happy Hammock
Kathrin Lake | Kathrin's website/blogsite | Blog for VSW I write | Facebook | Twitter

Online It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Where to set your crime mystery fiction if you are NOT American?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »

I'm writing traditional mysteries set in a fictional county in England and have done well in the US.

Not sure it's made any difference.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »

Yes in America. It's where the bulk of readers are. Though UK works well or international.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »
I suggest sticking to your roots because it can be so much fun reading about a different country/city from the traditional US cities. And if you make any mistakes about the geography, they are GLARING to natives.

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
I say stick to your roots. Even in the fictional world you build, if you try to set it in America somewhere and there are flaws, they're obvious and frustrating.

As a reader, I don't care so much about the setting in that way, so it wouldn't bother me as an American if the setting was Australia or wherever.

Offline StacyC

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
Just write the story and the blurb as you normally would and don't make a big deal about where it's located. I'm from the US and currently reading a thriller set in the UK and I'm enjoying it every bit as much as any set here where I'm familiar.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Online Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »
I would only set the story in America if I felt I could make it realistic, and while I've spent a few months there over the years, I don't think I know enough to not look like I was clueless.

Heck, I've been in Canada for over ten years, and I'm not sure I can write believable stories set here.

Online The Fussy Librarian

• Des Moines, Iowa
    • View Profile
    • The Fussy Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
I think mystery readers just want a great story and a setting in someplace different can have a lot of appeal. I'm thinking of Toby Neal's Lei Crime series, set in Hawaii, for example.

If you don't live in America and set your mystery here, there's zero room for error. And there are many regional quirks that can be opportunities for mistakes. All it takes is one or two mistakes for the reader to be turned off.

Jeffrey

Delivering ebook happiness daily.

Offline Phoenix61

• Moulamein NSW Australia
  • An Aussie author with an Aussie flavour
    • View Profile
    • Josef Peeters
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
While I am not a crime/fiction writer per se,  I do base all my novels in Australia where I have lived for most of my life. It may well limit my reading audience, but it is what I know and am comfortable with. My favourite author, born in Africa where he based his first novel "The Power of One", moved to Australia where he based most of his following novels. It did not harm his selling capabilities at all. He is not as well known on the world stage as others, but Bryce Courtenay was a great writer IMHO.
Black Heart: 85%

Mt. Moulamein: 25%

Wood Whisperer Volume 3: 95%
Josef Peeters | Website

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
Americans like to hear about other places, especially Europe or Australia. Exotic is even better. I alway think it makes the mystery to be more appealing if it is somewhere else like Paris, Sydney, Prague or Munich.  Think about why James Bond is so popular. :D

Though, small town mysteries do have a niche here, that could probably be done in a small village in England. It would attract my attention since it is in England. I would say, people in the US don't necessarily want to read about places here unless they haven't been there and want to go, like New York, Chicago, San Francisco or LA.

But then, I don't read a lot of mysteries. My husband does. And he loves the Swedish mysteries lately. But he is a Brit.

Of course, keeping in mind I live in California, I will read a story that takes place here just because it reminds me of home. But yeah, I'd know if the references were off.

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline AWritersLife

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
I always say, write what you know. Even someone as good as Lee Child really threw me off with his first couple of books when he kept having all-American good guy Jack Reacher end sentences with "right?" and people were "called" instead of "named". Not everyone will notice but I knew right away ol Lee wasn't an American when I read those early Jack Reacher books.

As a reader, I love reading about new exotic places, but I'm not most people. A lot of people are not adventurous and like familiarity, as much as we, as writers, wish they weren't so stuck on it. Likewise how a lot of romance readers demand happy endings, etc. People like familiarity, things that won't challenge them, so if this is purely a business move, you might want to consider that also.

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 02:38:17 PM »
I set my first book in London, where I lived for many years. The second, soon to be published one begins in London but then travels to Las Vegas, Sedona and Monument Valley. I've holidayed in those latter places but it wasn't until halfway through that I wished I'd stayed on home turf - I kept having to check my facts, journey times etc. on Google.
Just began book three today and what a relief - it begins in London and then travels between Liverpool, where I was born, and Skye where I lived for ten years. Phew, so much more comfortable and less time-consuming.  I automatically know about the weather, journey times, phraseology.
Recently I read a novel set in the UK but written by an author from Los Angeles. Although I enjoyed it, the speed at which characters leapt across the country was impossible, and some of the speech was all wrong, which didn't bother me - I found it rather quaint.
Kick Anxiety & Live in the Now: 80%

Meditation, Murder & Mayhem - Izzie Firecracker 2: 95%

Haunted Scottish Castle - Izzie Firecracker 3: 5%
Janet Butler Male | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
To me one of the appeals of crime fiction is that setting really adds something to the story. You can have the same basic story in the Bronx or rural France, but the vibe will be super different. I imagine that readers like esoteric settings for that reason.

I mean, people love Scandinavian noir. Phillip Kerrs work was totally different again. As is Adrian McKintys.

James Lawson

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »
Mine are set in Scotland and do reasonably well. I have never noticed that Scottish and UK settings hurt the sales of Ian Rankin, P. D. James or Val McDermid. And rumour has it that Agatha Christie sold a few of her novels set in England, so I'm not sure I'd worry about which country. Just make sure it seems authentic. 

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
I choose the mysteries I read based on where they're supposedly taking place. I voted to stick to your roots, but feel free to write about any place in the world about which you have firsthand knowledge.

For instance, despite living in Brookyn, NY, for over a decade, I never, ever heard a single New Yorker of any ilk say "Fuggedaboudit." I heard some other choice things beginning with that letter...

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »

Dubai - make it an international crime ...

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »
My Brit-set books do pretty well in the US. I think it takes a little while for the right market to find you (or you to find them) but the hook and plot gets you the sale, the quality of the writing will get you sell through to the next in the series. Some Americans will only read American, like some Brits won't touch American books, so just make sure it's GOOD.

My additional advice, if you haven't already taken it, is take your time. Get three ready before publishing the first, then get them out pretty fast, and then get working on book 4. Decent copy in the back is useful to get them to buy the next one (not cut-and-paste book description).

Best of luck.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
My vote... No, only the story matters.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
OK, I might say something wildly unpopular here, but here goes.

I believe the setting should interact with your plot, so if you have a story in mind, but are facing the choice whether to set it in London or New York, you have a problem with your story. Because if you plan the story right, there *is* no choice, because the story won't work in any location other than where you have set it. Especially a story that relies so heavily on the quirks and vagaries of authorities (or absence of authority) as crime fiction does.

Offline Bec

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Allinson's blog
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 03:41:57 PM »
My latest (pen name) book is a post-apoc book set in Australia. It's done a  lot better than I expected sales wise. The bulk of my sales have been to Americans, and I have quite a few reviews and comments from those American readers saying that they really enjoyed the change of scenery and reading about the apocalypse from an Aussie perspective.

I do write in Australian English, but I make sure the 'strange' words make sense in context.

R.M. Allinson

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »
I believe you should set your story where you want to set it and where it needs to be set (because locations can't usually be swapped out easily without changing the story. Besides, crime and mystery readers are pretty open with regard to international settings and crime and mystery has a higher quota of translated fiction than many other genres.

Offline LectorsBooks

• View Profile
    • Lector's Books and Editing
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »
I'm an American and I read a lot of mysteries. I love when they're set in other countries, especially if they evoke a strong sense of place. I think it's easier to capture that sense of place if it's a place you're familiar with, whether that's your home country or a place you've visited often. 

Janie Dullard

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »
Louise Penney's Inspector Gamache and Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan series are set in Canada and both successful. I've read some nice mysteries set in Australia, but can't think of series offhand. I admit to being parochial, which for me means only stories set in English-speaking countries appeal, but the U.S. isn't the only one of those. :) I have no idea what percentage of the mystery-reading U.S. population is like me.

Offline Spin52

• Seattle and Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »
I set my first two series in my home town of Seattle because I didn't dare write about anywhere else. As others have said, any small mistake is glaring to a native. It has taken me 34 years in Oxfordshire to be confident enough to set books there, but even then I set them in the 1860s. The bulk of those Victorian books have been bought by American and Canadian readers.

Tradtional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes
Facebook | Amazon author page | D2D author page

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »
OK, I might say something wildly unpopular here, but here goes.

I believe the setting should interact with your plot, so if you have a story in mind, but are facing the choice whether to set it in London or New York, you have a problem with your story. Because if you plan the story right, there *is* no choice, because the story won't work in any location other than where you have set it. Especially a story that relies so heavily on the quirks and vagaries of authorities (or absence of authority) as crime fiction does.
I have to agree with this. Ian Rankin's Scottish Noir wouldn't have worked in Duluth and shouldn't have.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More