Author Topic: Book Stuffing, Am I about to do something wrong?  (Read 846 times)  

Offline guerin

• View Profile
Book Stuffing, Am I about to do something wrong?
« on: April 15, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
I'm new to this "Book Stuffing" conversation, but after reading a few of the recent threads I am concerned I'm about to do something "wrong"??

I'm currently working on a book, it's a sci-fi book, and in one of the last chapters a young lady is telling another character a bedtime story her mother used to tell her. When I wrote that chapter I thought that it would make a good standalone short story, a fairy tale, which is in a different genre altogether. I published this fairy tale as a short story and it's available on KU.

The sci-fi book it came from has not been published yet because it is rather lengthy, almost 200,000 words, and the editing is taking a long time. After reading these threads on "Book Stuffing" I'm not sure if what I'm doing falls into that category.

Can someone please tell me if I publish my book, that includes this fairy tale in one chapter, is that wrong???

Guerin Zand | Website | Facebook

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Book Stuffing, Am I about to do something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »
I'm new to this "Book Stuffing" conversation, but after reading a few of the recent threads I am concerned I'm about to do something "wrong"??

I'm currently working on a book, it's a sci-fi book, and in one of the last chapters a young lady is telling another character a bedtime story her mother used to tell her. When I wrote that chapter I thought that it would make a good standalone short story, a fairy tale, which is in a different genre altogether. I published this fairy tale as a short story and it's available on KU.

The sci-fi book it came from has not been published yet because it is rather lengthy, almost 200,000 words, and the editing is taking a long time. After reading these threads on "Book Stuffing" I'm not sure if what I'm doing falls into that category.

Can someone please tell me if I publish my book, that includes this fairy tale in one chapter, is that wrong???
If I understand the situation correctly, no, that shouldn't be an issue. If Amazon later decides on an absolute prohibition of any duplication in KU, then you'd have to take one of them out of Select. That isn't the current situation, though. Book Stuffing is a lot more involved (and lengthy) than what you're doing.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline The Fussy Librarian

• Des Moines, Iowa
    • View Profile
    • The Fussy Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »
I agree with Bill -- you should be fine with Amazon.

Jeffrey
Delivering ebook happiness daily.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
This is not book stuffing, this is adding a small amount of bonus content. Disclose it in the table of contents, don't make it seem like some huge freebie thing to get people to click to it past the actual book, and you're fine.

It's not that hard to understand what stuffing is. It's been explained enough in more than one thread.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
It should be fine with Amazon, but you will probably get some complaints from readers because of the genre change. Just the nature of the biz.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
As it's not completed yet, why not just change some of the bedtime story?

This has nothing to do with stuffing but more to do with duplicate content, if you change 25% (minimum) then as I understand it, you're covered.

'The black cat sauntering along the corridor... ', could be 'the large, hairy dog shuffled awkwardly... ' Obviously not that but different enough, while still being able to use the idea or basis of it.

A. Woodley | Facebook | Blog | Twitter | Amazon UK | Amazon US

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »
Or just tell a subset of the story and let the reader buy the full story if they are interested.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:02:55 AM »
This is not book stuffing, this is adding a small amount of bonus content. Disclose it in the table of contents, don't make it seem like some huge freebie thing to get people to click to it past the actual book, and you're fine.

It's not that hard to understand what stuffing is. It's been explained enough in more than one thread.

No, that's what stuffing is. Stuffing is using any amount of complete bonus content (not a sample).

But, Amazon appears to be fine with bonus content. They even changed their ToS to make the rules about how to include bonus content more clear (it must be listed in the ToC and you must disclose in the blurb).

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac