Author Topic: IngramSpark chief advises: avoid revisions & order 1 of your HB or PB yourself.  (Read 335 times)  

Offline John Twipnook

• Somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
The head of IngramSpark, the print-on-demand printer for paper books on Amazon and elsewhere, recently offered some advice to minimize the risk of Amazon erroneously status-ing your title as out-of-stock/unavailable:

1. Make sure your book file is perfect before you upload to IngramSpark. Once it's uploaded, avoid revisions. Revisions to the file once it's already uploaded can muck up its "availability messaging";

2. As soon as your title shows available on Amazon, order a copy of your own book from Amazon, yourself, using the Amazon buy now button. This will "help spur on good availability messaging."

"Availability messaging" is IngramSpark-speak for data feeds. Basically the availability messaging issue seems to be twofold: screwy metadata in the IngramSpark title that can possibly trip Amazon's out-of-stock/unavailable tripwires, and the electronic communication process itself between IngramSpark and Amazon.

YMMV. This advice comes from Robin Cutler, who's the head of IngramSpark. The original article:
https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2018/04/book-promotion-do-this-not-that-april-2018

Robin Cutler offers a few more details here:
https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2018/02/book-promotion-do-this-not-that-february-2018/#comment-95392

* edited a weird link
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:53:44 AM by John Twipnook »
"My girlfriend moved in with another guy, so I dumped her, because that's where I draw the line." Garry Shandling

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
    • In 30 Minutes Guides Official Site
I've heard Robin talk about the "priming the pump" trick before. I do it now for hardcover POD editions.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
#1 should be a no-brainer, but I know we've all read authors who hurry to publish and then make tons of changes after the fact. Easier to do with ebooks, but print is different. Which is why I've seen some folks recommend publishing ebook first, then print once you're sure it's clear of most errors.

Offline John Twipnook

• View Profile
I've heard Robin talk about the "priming the pump" trick before. I do it now for hardcover POD editions.

Do you do it once when the hardcover is first published, or more than once over time? Curious. Thanks!
"My girlfriend moved in with another guy, so I dumped her, because that's where I draw the line." Garry Shandling

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
    • In 30 Minutes Guides Official Site
Do you do it once when the hardcover is first published, or more than once over time? Curious. Thanks!

Just once.

Offline John Twipnook

• View Profile
Just once.

Cool, thanks. From what I've seen, IngramSpark and Lightning Source (if you can get in to LS) are the best places to do hardcover for one's Amazon listing, if one wants a hardcover. Lately on Amazon there have been some issues with IngramSpark-printed books weirdly showing up as unavailable, but buying a copy oneself might help prevent that.