Author Topic: How to preview Kindle Create file in physical Kindle reader?  (Read 107 times)  

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
  • John Dwyer
    • View Profile
    • John Dwyer Books
How to preview Kindle Create file in physical Kindle reader?
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
Hi All,
I've successfully created an eBook with Kindle Create, it's produced a .kpf file that I reviewed on Kindle Previewer. I'd now like to send the file to my physical kindle device so I can also review it there. I tried emailing it to my kindle but the .kpf format isn't supported.
Any idea how to do this?
Thanks,
John

Praise for High Road to Tibet:
John Dwyer might be just the ticket to fill [Michael] Palin's well worn shoes. - HungryFeet.com
You [John Dwyer] really do give an authentic feeling of the contrasting atmospheres as you move from place to place." - Dervla Murphy, international best-selling travel author

Praise for Klondike House:
"The author has a wonderful ability to engage the reader and draw them into the past alongside him" - John Dolan, Evening Echo

Offline Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
Re: How to preview Kindle Create file in physical Kindle reader?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »
Are you able to export a MOBI file from Kindle Previewer via File > Export?

Offline guerin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »
Are you able to export a MOBI file from Kindle Previewer via File > Export?

Not if you're are previewing a KPF file. Not sure why that matters, but it does. When you upload your manuscript in KPF format you also don't have the option to download the preview.

Calibre has a plugin to convert KPF to other formats if you want. It works, but you still may lose something in the translation, you always do. If you just want to send an EPUB to a friend to review, it's an ok solution.

If you use the Kindle Create addin for Word to format your Word doc, then you can export to .mobi and .azk from the previewer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:34:51 AM by guerin »

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
  • John Dwyer
    • View Profile
    • John Dwyer Books
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »
No, Kindle Previewer has no option to export to other formats. As you correctly said guerin, even when I tried to upload it to KDP, there's no option to download the converted file!
This is a pain as I was really liking Kindle Create. Why do they make it so difficult?
Thanks for the Calibre suggestion - I'll give this a go.
The help was much appreciated.
John

Praise for High Road to Tibet:
John Dwyer might be just the ticket to fill [Michael] Palin's well worn shoes. - HungryFeet.com
You [John Dwyer] really do give an authentic feeling of the contrasting atmospheres as you move from place to place." - Dervla Murphy, international best-selling travel author

Praise for Klondike House:
"The author has a wonderful ability to engage the reader and draw them into the past alongside him" - John Dolan, Evening Echo