Author Topic: HELP WITH CREATESPACE COVER PDF  (Read 285 times)  

Offline Carey Conley

• View Profile
HELP WITH CREATESPACE COVER PDF
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
"Text is outside margins..."

I downloaded the Createspace template for my book cover.
6x9, 360 Pages.

The template measures 152.4mmx228.6mm for both front and back covers, with 0.9 for the spine.
DPI is 300.
I've adjusted the cover image PDF to the required size (13.150x9.250) in both Irfan View and Acrobat, again, and again. They show the image is indeed the adjusted size, and yet:

"Text is outside margins."

Can someone assist, please? What. More. Does. It. Want?

I just want my life back. :-\

Carey Conley

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: HELP WITH CREATESPACE COVER PDF
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »
There's a space along the border of the template where you can't have active text. I want to say it's pink? Is your title, author name, back cover copy, etc. in that area? If so, you need to shrink it down so it isn't.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS

Offline Carey Conley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
No text there.

Carey Conley

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »

6x9, 360 Pages.

The template measures 152.4mmx228.6mm for both front and back covers, with 0.9 for the spine.
DPI is 300.
I've adjusted the cover image PDF to the required size (13.150x9.250) in both Irfan View and Acrobat, again, and again. They show the image is indeed the adjusted size, and yet:

I'm assuming you're talking interior, since covers have no margins. Make sure your gutter is correct. A gutter of .8" will visibly make your aligned text stagger from left page to right page when looking at your pdf and scrolling down. Also make sure that your odd-numbered pages are staggered to the right, and the opposite for even numbered pages.

This example has .8" staggered margins:

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »
It could also be your spine text. One time I had text close to the pink area - not actually in it - and the PDF got kicked back. Maybe try making your spine text a bit smaller?

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
What does the CS design display show? There's an area you can open up and it will show you exactly where you're going over the bleed or margin area.

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
I got this complaint recently, too. I just shrunk the spine text slightly and resubmitted.

As far as I could tell, the text wasn't going into The Forbidden Zone, but was right up against it.

Offline BrianDHoward

• Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • Brian D Howard - Author
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
6x9, 360 Pages.

White or cream paper? Cream paper is thicker, so .9" would be right. If you're using white paper you've only got .81072" of spine to work with.
Riftworlds Online Book 1: Space Opera: 65%
Brian D Howard | Blog

Offline KSRuff

• United States
    • View Profile
    • ksruff.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »

6x9, 360 Pages.

DPI is 300.

Okay, this may be a long shot, but I remember pulling my hair out over an "out of margin/bleed error" for my covers. All the measurements were spot on when we looked at the file in PhotoShop but CreateSpace kept rejecting the cover saying it was outside the bleed area. Nothing was outside the bleed area! My graphic design artist and I finally figured out that the problem lie in the conversion of the PhotoShop file to a PDF file. My graphic design artist was working on the template in PhotoShop and then converting as a PDF, but the sizing was thrown off during the file conversion. We had to save the template as a "PhotoShop PDF file," which is a different option in the pull down menu than the standard "PDF file." The way we pinpointed the problem was by comparing the measurements CreateSpace e-mailed me from the PDF file that was uploaded to the measurements that appeared in the PhotoShop file. I have no idea how/why a simple file conversion could change the sizing, but it did. So, if you are working on the template in PhotoShop then just make sure you save the document as a "PhotoShop PDF file" NOT a standard "PDF file" so you can maintain the exact same measurements during the conversion process.

I wrote CreateSpace and told them they should including this extra step in their FAQs or instructions because a ton of graphic design artists work in PhotoShop. So, there are likely a lot of authors/cover designers who have run into the same problem. I do hope this information helps! Trust me, I know exactly how this feels!

... for anyone who has ever been broken
K.S. Ruff | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac