Kindle Forum banner

After Bookbub, best promo sites?

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  EBWriter 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I'm using my free KDP Select days next week. Did not get a Bookbub promotion, but using a bunch of other sites. It's a nonfiction book and my primary goal is to drive people to my mailing list with free bonus content. I've listed what I've signed up for below. What am I missing? Any recos for other sites that show good results?

BooksButterfly - $100
Freebooksy - $60
RobinReads - $60
Ereader News Today - $40
Just Kindle Books - $38
Fussy Librarian - $30
Awesome Gang - $10
BKnights - $10

#2 ·
I think there are a lot of other threads here that might have better answers to your question, but there are a few inexpensive ones that I use which sometimes get good results, and sometimes don't, depending upon genre and whether or not it's free. Book Raid, Book Pebble, Booktastick, Book Cave, and eBook Soda have all gotten me some good results on free days for paranormal romance. Good luck!

#7 ·
There are any threads about the questionable nature and problems with Books Butterfly. If you want to use it, that's caveat emptor, but you need to read those threads and make an informed decision.

If you do use them, make sure you schedule them well away (in time and date) from other promos, because they have no way of tracking their own effect--they claim all results to fulfill their guarantee, regardless of where they came from. In other words, if you run another promo the same day, you will not know from which service the results came, but Butterfly will look at the overall results that day and will claim they fulfilled their guarantee based on the raw results, regardless of source.

One more for the list: Manybooks.

#9 ·
Thanks Simon and David!
@David - Unfortunately, I already paid for my BooksButterfly and scheduled it along with other promos... Hope I haven't thrown my money away. I will look into the problems.... Have added ManyBooks to the list
@Simon, I've signed up for both of those. Thanks!

#10 ·
David VanDyke said:
There are any threads about the questionable nature and problems with Books Butterfly. If you want to use it, that's caveat emptor, but you need to read those threads and make an informed decision.
This. In general, OP, I'd recommend researching the services you're planning to use before you pay them. 100$ is a lot of money to throw at someone with that kind of reputation. :( I personally had a very negative experience and would never use them again.

I hope it works out for you, though.

#12 ·
@ C. Rysalis: I saw Books Butterfly on Kindlepreneur's list of best performing sites. I like Dave Chiason's podcast and his Kindlerocket product, so thought I could trust that list but looks like more due diligence might have helped?? We'll see.
@ C. Gockel: Yes, I'm promoting 18 Steps to Own Your Life, but I'm doing it now for free and looks like Buck Books only does 99 cent books.

#13 ·
FanReads said:
@ C. Rysalis: I saw Books Butterfly on Kindlepreneur's list of best performing sites. I like Dave Chiason's podcast and his Kindlerocket product, so thought I could trust that list but looks like more due diligence might have helped?? We'll see.
How up to date is that list? As far as I remember, most of the complaints and issues started two or so years ago. When googling marketing services, my advice is to pay special attention to any kboards threads (the authors here report their own experiences, which tend to be objective and quite reliable) and check the year the information was posted. A blog article from three years ago might already be outdated.

#17 ·
FanReads said:
I've found KP's info on promo sites to often be outdated (sometimes by several years) and not well researched.

If you want up-to-date info, best to come here and ask the question before you actually spend money.

#18 ·
I will say be careful of websites that tout social media "blasts" to their hundreds of thousands of followers. I tried one of those because it was pretty cheap ($20 for a few times a week tweets) for a year and they had a sale going on for a bonus year...what a deal. I signed up and followed their twitter to see that they held up their end of the bargain. Sure enough, they started tweeting out my books. Yay...except, I saw no movement in sales or reads. I did some digging into their followers and realized a vast majority of their followers had some form of "author" in their bio... so, they're just like me and not interested in buying my books. Lesson learned. I do my research now before I fork over the cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.