Author Topic: What would be the ultimate write-to-market strategy...?  (Read 2719 times)  

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the ultimate write-to-market strategy...?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 02:24:51 AM »
Heresy!

We all know that 'reverse harem erotica shifter military sf' is the only sub niche genre worth writing in! Buckets of loot in there. Somewhere.

Well, thanks for ruining my retirement plan. grumble grumble Now everyone will be hitting my secret, hot niche, and all my money will be gone.

:D
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 02:46:24 AM »
One thing that could be added here is that if you truly want to start out with short works, erotica may gain you a bit of experience under your belt as a "published" author.

Those stories are indeed out there, and some of them do sell. Some of the people who write them and sell them are on KBoards.

What the others here say -- that erotica's ship has sailed -- are apparently referring to a time early in the decade when erotica apparently was a way to make big money.

But if you have an aptitude to write the genre, and want to give self-publishing a try, erotica is indeed one of the genres where shorter books can sell. It's just that the market has shrunk over time. But, as in anything, you have to have the desire to actually write it to pull it off.

Offline SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »
So long as no tries to elbow their way into my gay pre-Cambrian mollusk erotica niche, we're good.
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline A. Pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »
If I were looking for a new genre, I'd consider Teen Superhero or Warlocks in Space.
Proudly self-publishing since 2011. Formerly Dalya Moon, etc.

Offline dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
So long as no tries to elbow their way into my gay pre-Cambrian mollusk erotica niche, we're good.

Careful, the pre-Cambrian mollusk era is already getting popular  :P

DC Swain | Author Website

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
If I were looking for a new genre, I'd consider Teen Superhero or Warlocks in Space.

I really need to start reading all these new mage-in-space books. Excellent trend.

<waves> :)

Online valeriec80

• View Profile
    • V. J. Chambers, author
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
As others have said, short stories don't sell.

Personally, I just wasted several months casting around for a "hot" genre to transition into since my urban fantasy pen name is on the wane. But I struck out hard. I don't think there are hot genres anymore as much.  It's more about picking a thing with an audience and sticking with it.

Suffice it to say, I am back in urban fantasy, (and still striking out). But it's a process, I think, and it's going to take time to build back up. I hope it can build back up, anyway.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
OP, it couldn't hurt to pick up a K-lytics report on your chosen genre(s).

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »
Very nice summary Nick, that's pretty much my plan too  ;)

Also, branding! Brand yourself, make your covers instantly identifiable as your brand, and get a website to match (website is optional, but very inexpensive).

Yes, Nick, great summary! I think you've nailed it.

Most people reading this will not follow it because it's really a hard path to follow. I've written 18 novels plus a smattering of shorter works and for me, writing a book a month is hard. I haven't managed it.

For those aspiring authors who are really ambitious and dedicated, take 6 months and write 3 full-length (50K plus) novels in a series in a popular sub-genre and release all at once with book 4 on a 60 day-preorder. Make sure you have genre-appropriate covers that are all strongly branded, with proper keywords and great compelling blurbs. Write a prequel novella and put it as a permafree lead generator for mailing list signups. Then sit down and write a book every 6 weeks minimum.

This truth applies to self-publishing:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Offline A. Pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
As others have said, short stories don't sell.

Personally, I just wasted several months casting around for a "hot" genre to transition into since my urban fantasy pen name is on the wane. But I struck out hard. I don't think there are hot genres anymore as much.  It's more about picking a thing with an audience and sticking with it.

Suffice it to say, I am back in urban fantasy, (and still striking out). But it's a process, I think, and it's going to take time to build back up. I hope it can build back up, anyway.

I see people jumping on the Reverse Harem in that genre. I considered being the first to do reverse harem in cozy. It's nice to be the first.... and also the last hahah

But seriously. I have gotten a ton of mileage out of hot trends. I've done billionaires, sassy BBWs (remember when that was the new hotness?), and all sorts of stuff. My current niche was super hot 2 years ago. Pretty saturated now, but I love what I'm writing, and that counts for something.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »
I see people jumping on the Reverse Harem in that genre. I considered being the first to do reverse harem in cozy. It's nice to be the first.... and also the last hahah

But seriously. I have gotten a ton of mileage out of hot trends. I've done billionaires, sassy BBWs (remember when that was the new hotness?), and all sorts of stuff. My current niche was super hot 2 years ago. Pretty saturated now, but I love what I'm writing, and that counts for something.

I haven't actually read any "reverse harem" books, but I like the idea of doing a "PG" version of that, where it's not sexual but it's still one lead woman surrounded by lots of hot guys. Maybe I'll try to do that at some point, but by the time I get around to it, it'll probably be an outdated trend anyway.

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »
Yes, Nick, great summary! I think you've nailed it.

Most people reading this will not follow it because it's really a hard path to follow. I've written 18 novels plus a smattering of shorter works and for me, writing a book a month is hard. I haven't managed it.

For those aspiring authors who are really ambitious and dedicated, take 6 months and write 3 full-length (50K plus) novels in a series in a popular sub-genre and release all at once with book 4 on a 60 day-preorder. Make sure you have genre-appropriate covers that are all strongly branded, with proper keywords and great compelling blurbs. Write a prequel novella and put it as a permafree lead generator for mailing list signups. Then sit down and write a book every 6 weeks minimum.

This truth applies to self-publishing:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
That is more or less how I launched (just because it seemed like a good idea to me, not because I knew anything!) I wrote my first 3 books (95K each) in about 9 months and published them together, so if anybody liked the first one, they had more to read right THEN. It was before the days of non-rep-assisted preorder, but I published Book 4 (110K) about 3-1/2 months later. It worked very well.

The plus was that I was able to re-edit books 1 & 2 over time, since they were my first fiction. Book 3 didn't require much--I got better--but the quality was more even by the time I published. (Book 3 still has a higher review average, though!) Only one chance to make a first impression and all that.

I write more like a book every 3-4 months, and it still works, even in the age of fast releases, so if you can't do the book-a-month thing, don't despair. It doesn't make things impossible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:15:30 PM by Usedtoposthere »

Offline A. Pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »
I haven't actually read any "reverse harem" books, but I like the idea of doing a "PG" version of that, where it's not sexual but it's still one lead woman surrounded by lots of hot guys. Maybe I'll try to do that at some point, but by the time I get around to it, it'll probably be an outdated trend anyway.

The PG version is a gal who works with an all-male team who are utterly devoted to her. I don't think readers hate that sort of thing. (A TV show comes to mind... Alias has a lot of dudes and few dudettes.) But you probably couldn't *call* it reverse harem, if there wasn't any smexy hareming. Anything you did try to label it with would probably get you in trouble...somehow.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:11:48 PM by A. Pepper »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac