Author Topic: Trad pubs in AMS  (Read 742 times)  

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
Trad pubs in AMS
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:39:49 PM »
Discovered trad pub books in sponsored ads in urban fantasy. A quick scan didn't show any in other genres. Patricia Briggs, Anne Bishop, Karen Marie Moning. When you're selling ebooks at $13.99 and $14.99, I would assume you can bid fairly high.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Steven Slavick

• View Profile
    • Sydney Bristow
Re: Trad pubs in AMS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:13:07 PM »
I wonder what percentage of readers who typically buy or read urban fantasy authors that are in KU would buy a traditionally published ebook at a $13.99 price point. I'm guessing it would be pretty low. If those trad publishers sold those ebooks at $5.99-$7.99, I'm guessing they would get much better results. But who knows, maybe those readers would still prefer to check out those books from the library.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »
Yes, I've seen books from mainstream publishers advertised lately. Not urban fantasy, either! Serious non-fiction.

(Well, I used the plural there, but in fact it was just one book. Day before yesterday, I think it was. I was looking for something, and up this Sponsored ad popped.)
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline A. Pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »
On one hand, I'm all "hahah, good luck with that, trad pub," but then I'm also...  :'(
Proudly self-publishing since 2011. Formerly Dalya Moon, etc.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Yeah, I want to say I've seen some recently, too, outside of urban fantasy. It makes sense that they'd use them if they can.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
I wonder what percentage of readers who typically buy or read urban fantasy authors that are in KU would buy a traditionally published ebook at a $13.99 price point. I'm guessing it would be pretty low. If those trad publishers sold those ebooks at $5.99-$7.99, I'm guessing they would get much better results. But who knows, maybe those readers would still prefer to check out those books from the library.

Your point doesn't make sense.

1. Owning a Kindle does not equal being a KU subscriber. AMS ads are shows across any Kindle, not just to KU subscribers.
2. The authors mentioned (Karen Marie Moning, et al) don't seem to be hurting for sales
3. A great many readers treat trade pubs differently than "indies." The same people who claim they "won't spend more than X on an unknown author" will happily spend three times that on trade pub books. Because by "unknown" the mean "self-published."
4. Your question is the equivalent of saying, "Why would anyone spend $5 on a coffee at Starbucks when you can get the same size at Dunkin Donuts for $1.99?" Price rarely has anything to do with it.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
Your point doesn't make sense.

1. Owning a Kindle does not equal being a KU subscriber. AMS ads are shows across any Kindle, not just to KU subscribers.
2. The authors mentioned (Karen Marie Moning, et al) don't seem to be hurting for sales
3. A great many readers treat trade pubs differently than "indies." The same people who claim they "won't spend more than X on an unknown author" will happily spend three times that on trade pub books. Because by "unknown" the mean "self-published."
4. Your question is the equivalent of saying, "Why would anyone spend $5 on a coffee at Starbucks when you can get the same size at Dunkin Donuts for $1.99?" Price rarely has anything to do with it.

^This^

The books I saw were new releases. I've also seen a sponsored ad for Danielle Steele's new book.

The majority of books in BookBub now are trad published, and I see backlist books by big name authors at $7.99 regularly. The whole thing about AMS is visibility, and if deep pockets crowd indies off the first page, then your ad may never be seen.

Someone in New York is paying attention to what indies do, and trying out the things they think work.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 02:06:58 PM »
I wonder what percentage of readers who typically buy or read urban fantasy authors that are in KU would buy a traditionally published ebook at a $13.99 price point.

I also wonder what UF readers are unaware of those books. They're advertising some of the biggest-name UF authors, books that don't really need advertising.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
I also wonder what UF readers are unaware of those books. They're advertising some of the biggest-name UF authors, books that don't really need advertising.

I dunno.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
It's the nature of the trad pub beast to do very limited, short-term promotions. Yes, they obviously have thousands more to spend than most of us, but their marketing budget is spread over various outlets, not merely Amazon, and they can use different parts of an Amazon page, too.

Start to worry when Danielle Steel's substantial backlist is the first forty AMS ads in your subgenre, even if you write UF or SF, and on every carousel. Except Amazon is not going to let that happen, and anyway, the Secret Coterie of Evil Mutants Mass Content Providers will pony up a lot more money to be on top as usual. They actually have more budget. 

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
I wouldn't dare try a higher price point, but my only book in AMS just now has sold 7 print copies at that $13.99 price this month so far. So maybe there are readers who will pay that price, or at least more than $5,99 for an indie author of an eBook, especially if their product is presented in equal terms to a trad-published book.

My other books that are also in print and which don't have the visibility that AMS gives because they are  not advertized in that medium have sold zero paperbacks. When they are in AMS, they have sold print copies at $13.99.

Perhaps it could be a viable model, but at a lower price point of say $7.99 to $9.99 for the eBook which would allow for plenty of 1st page ads with the right bids. Just think of the visibility, especially if the bids were on high priced trad-published books which would be more or less the target audience.

The hardest part of AMS is that most are usually selling a product at a price that doesn't allow for much in the way of profit to bid high enough to get on enough first pages to make it pay.

I started out by saying I wouldn't do it. Now I'm thinking I might give it a go on one of my books. Maybe it would be a good idea for more trad books to go on AMS, then we could increase prices and mix in with them.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:23:30 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Berries

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »
They've been in psychological thrillers for awhile.

Lucinda Berry

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »

If I were a top-seller who assumed people already knew about my books, I'd be using AMS to own that ad space at the top of the search results so that when people come to buy my book on Amazon the first result isn't someone else's book and I don't risk losing them to a curiosity click.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog | Video Courses | Quick & Dirty Guide to AMS