Kindle Forum banner

Help choosing Kindle

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  DJ Cooper 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I noticed there is another similar thread but I wanted to start my own as I have a different set of circumstances. I hope that's OK. I've been using the Kindle app on an iPhone for years. I'm toying with the idea of saving for a Kindle. There are two issues.

1. I have a disability which gives me an intermittent weakness in my hands. I drop things regularly, although my phone is generally safe. As I get a fair amount of pain everywhere I need something lightweight that won't tax my wrists.

2. I've recently developed an issue with my vision and can only read with one eye. This may or may not improve, it's too early to tell. The advice for the condition is to throw extra light at everything to make it easier to see.

I'd be grateful for any input from people who use different Kindles. Obviously I can look up the weight of devices online but actual human advice would be valuable.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm older than most trees.

I read with my left eye closed. I probably need new glasses.

I am clumsy and the last Amazon Kindle case that was, in my opinions, worth beans for usability and protection is the Paperwhite case.

I have arthritis in my hands and want manual page turn buttons almost as much as I want a hand crank to start my car. Tapping the page is better.

Amazon has a 30-day no-questions asked return policy. I bought an Oasis 2, spent two days with it, saw the Amazon cover was to personalize your Kindle and not protect it, and returned it. No muss, no fuss. Amazon's customer service is outstanding.

I would try the Paperwhite first, the Voyage second. I should warn you that there is evidence of Apple sending out assassins from Cupertino when Apple users abandon any Apple device.

#3 ·
I think its best to go through the list of things you must have for your ability.

Since you absolutely need a light the basic is out. That leaves the Paperwhite, Voyage and the new larger Oasis.

I would personally recommend to find a hand strap, either in the cover or separately. I'll post a couple of ones I found for the paperwhite so you see what I mean.

Something like this works on the Paperwhite or Voyage.

or this example

Or built into the cover

These might work best if you have weakness in the hands as it just stays on your hand with the strap. I used to have a cover with a strap long time ago for the old, button, no touch basic kindle they don't make anymore. It was still the best way for me to hold as those buttons were on the edge, so once I put my hand in the strap, my thumb just sat there and it was easy to page without doing any movement. Unfortunately that is not an option anymore with the buttons today like on the Oasis as they are more inward and have to be pressed from above.

If you can handle touch screen paging, then a paperwhite with some sort of hand strap might work well. I found the bezels of the Voyage to be too narrow to hold and press in one hand without my wrist cramping up. I use the new larger Oasis, but I do think its heavier if holding long periods of time and might be too slippy without a cover. And with cover its heavier than say a paperwhite with a hand strap on the back.

I wonder if you can get to a store where they carry the devices so you can kind of handle them to see how they fit in your hand.

#4 ·
I also have a vision issue that results in only one eye doing all the reading, compensating for the bad eye that is uncorrectable, as well as arthritis issues with both hands.

I personally never liked the Paperwhite Kindles, but lots of people are very happy with them.  Both the Voyage and the Oasis 2 have been miraculous for me.  Even though my cellphone is significantly smaller than even the Voyage, it is still heavier than either the Voyage or the larger Oasis and, in my opinion, easier to drop because there is less object to hang on to.  The "real" buttons of the Oasis are MUCH easier to press than the haptic press spots (not really buttons) of the Voyage.  When using the Voyage I almost exclusively tap the screen, with the Oasis I almost always use the buttons.  I have a lightweight cover on both mainly for personalization and protection. When weight is an issue for my hands, I remove the cover and read with it "naked" once I'm settled wherever I am reading.

For my eyes, the ability to change the brightness up and down as needed with the additional lights on both the Voyage and the Oasis is vital.  Additionally, the greater number of font sizes as well as the latest ability to increase the boldness of whichever font you choose is tremendous.  All of those things together have allowed me to continue reading hours a day.  I also love the slightly larger screen of the Oasis 2 which gives me that little bit more word real estate at the larger font size I require.  The additional weight for that screen size has not been an issue for my hand problems.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Voyage or the Oasis 2

#6 ·
Atunah said:
I think its best to go through the list of things you must have for your ability.

Since you absolutely need a light the basic is out. That leaves the Paperwhite, Voyage and the new larger Oasis.

I would personally recommend to find a hand strap, either in the cover or separately. I'll post a couple of ones I found for the paperwhite so you see what I mean.

Something like this works on the Paperwhite or Voyage.

or this example

Or built into the cover

These might work best if you have weakness in the hands as it just stays on your hand with the strap. I used to have a cover with a strap long time ago for the old, button, no touch basic kindle they don't make anymore. It was still the best way for me to hold as those buttons were on the edge, so once I put my hand in the strap, my thumb just sat there and it was easy to page without doing any movement. Unfortunately that is not an option anymore with the buttons today like on the Oasis as they are more inward and have to be pressed from above.

If you can handle touch screen paging, then a paperwhite with some sort of hand strap might work well. I found the bezels of the Voyage to be too narrow to hold and press in one hand without my wrist cramping up. I use the new larger Oasis, but I do think its heavier if holding long periods of time and might be too slippy without a cover. And with cover its heavier than say a paperwhite with a hand strap on the back.

I wonder if you can get to a store where they carry the devices so you can kind of handle them to see how they fit in your hand.
This is really helpful, I think for me too! I will surely purchase this.

#8 ·
My hand problems are a little different than yours, DJ, but suffice it to say I can't hold a Kindle for any length of time without pain. What I did was get a pillow designed for holding devices like that. Maybe someone will post a link that will get you started searching. I can't remember the name of mine. Anyway, since I do most of my reading in a chair, I put the pillow in my lap, and it solves the problem.

As to 3G, I needed it until recently because I live in a rural area and had no wifi at home. Since I now have wifi, I got the Oasis 2 without 3G, and since I worry about losing or damaging the O2, when I go out I take the Oasis 1 I still have, which does have 3G. Recently I was in a hurry and plopped the O2 in my purse on the way out the door and when I got where I was going was unhappy to realize there was no wifi and without 3G I couldn't get to the Amazon store. That one-time inconvenience wouldn't make me spend the extra to get 3G again. It seems to me it's something individual circumstances dictate.

#9 ·
I'm such a slow reader I can probably get away without 3G, if I'm honest. I like the idea of the ones with the built in light. I'm being told that I can get a case with a light to save money, which I already know. My husband and my daughter have the older Kindles and their cases have lights. I'd like to save on the weight, I think. Decisions, decisions.

#10 ·
DJ Cooper said:
I'm such a slow reader I can probably get away without 3G, if I'm honest. I like the idea of the ones with the built in light. I'm being told that I can get a case with a light to save money, which I already know. My husband and my daughter have the older Kindles and their cases have lights. I'd like to save on the weight, I think. Decisions, decisions.
If weight is very important, I'd suggest Voyage over PW.

BUT, the Oasis is lighter still if you don't use a cover. With a cover it's about the weight of the Voyage. I found it hard to hold without a cover, but that is easily remedied with some stick on gripper tape:

That links to black ones, but I got clear ones and they work great. Put a couple pieces on the back of the wide part where the buttons are. It also helps it feel less cold to the touch.

AND if you later go to a full back coverage type case/cover, they don't impact the fit.

#11 ·
DJ Cooper said:
I'm being told that I can get a case with a light to save money, which I already know.
If you never met a Kindle with built in lighting, you might be happy with light in a case, but once you have....

Since I was just on Amazon spending money, I searched, and if you search "Book Pillow," you will find the kind of thing I mentioned in my last post.

#12 ·
ellenoc said:
If you never met a Kindle with built in lighting, you might be happy with light in a case, but once you have....
Agree 110%! :D

Since I was just on Amazon spending money, I searched, and if you search "Book Pillow," you will find the kind of thing I mentioned in my last post.
A couple of options:

$25, other colors may be cheaper

$40

#13 ·
Book pillows are a brilliant idea. I'm leaning towards absolutely needing a case. I drop things too regularly to get away without one. I'm still firmly of the opinion that I'd like an inbuilt light. I've seen the lights on the cases, they're great if you have two working eyes like my husband and my daughter. I still can't read anything other than the large letters of an eye test with my left eye with glasses on. My right eye gets tired very easily having to do everything.

So then we're down to the controls... I will contemplate more. Trouble is, I love a gadget and usually go for the one that does everything and has the higher cost-which is the sticking point.

#14 ·
Cases are good. I just had to replace the one on my Voyage. Dropped the thing and it cracked -- which is o.k. with me: it cracked and my kindle did NOT!

For the Oasis, especially, though, the full cases they have now will add some bulk and weight, sort of negating some of the main selling points of the device.

Possibly, it comes down to physical buttons or not. :) Oh, and if you read in the bath or by the pool, etc., the Oasis is waterproof.

#15 ·
ARGH  ;D Good news about your case though. Better to buy a new one of them than a new Kindle. My iPhone is covered in a tempered glass screen protector and has a back case. it's the only way. I read my phone in the bath on rare occasions but I've never dropped my phone in it. I suspect I'll save a bit, get a Voyage and a case with a hand-strap.

Unless... What are the PagePress sensors on the Voyage like? Do you turn pages when you don't mean to? I'm quite clumsy and worry I'd skip entire chapters!

#16 ·
DJ Cooper said:
Unless... What are the PagePress sensors on the Voyage like? Do you turn pages when you don't mean to? I'm quite clumsy and worry I'd skip entire chapters!
I don't find myself pressing them accidentally. I guess it's a possibility if you have a naturally firm grip? But you can also set the sensitivity so you have to press more firmly. And can set the sensitivity of how much feedback to the press you feel.

#18 ·
The first Kindle I bought was a Voyage.  I loved reading on it.  I hated trying to hold it one handed.  I bought the origami cover and used it to read when at my desk.  When trying to read it one handed the bezels are too thin and it became a contest to see how long I could hold it before it slipped out of my hands.  In bed it was a nightmare because when it would slip half the time it would smack me in the head.  I ended up giving it to my wife and she reads it propped on a pillow.

I bought the original Oasis and the the second larger version.  I find them very well designed to hold in one hand whether sitting at my desk or laying in bed.  The page turn buttons come naturally to the right position.  I plan to stay with the Oasis form as long as they make them.  Some complain about the second Oasis's battery life but I already have chargers everywhere and don't find it a problem to plug it in when it reaches 50% power.  It charges fully in less than an hour.  I find I get about ten hours per charge and I read at high brightness due to cataracts.  For anybody who reads at less than 18 brightness they should get many more hours. 

#19 ·
DJ Cooper said:
Book pillows are a brilliant idea. I'm leaning towards absolutely needing a case. I drop things too regularly to get away without one. I'm still firmly of the opinion that I'd like an inbuilt light. I've seen the lights on the cases, they're great if you have two working eyes like my husband and my daughter. I still can't read anything other than the large letters of an eye test with my left eye with glasses on. My right eye gets tired very easily having to do everything.

So then we're down to the controls... I will contemplate more. Trouble is, I love a gadget and usually go for the one that does everything and has the higher cost-which is the sticking point.
I got rid of my Voyage because the Kindle Origami Case was ridiculous and the after market cases, six of them, were not acceptable. I got an Oasis 2 and returned it as soon as Kindle said the case wasn't intended to protect but rather to personalize.

I have Paperwhite 3 Kindles and the Amazon Kindle case is expensive and excellent.

#20 ·
My Oasis 2 has buttons, while the Voyage has a strip along either side, and a button for back(both touch), which can be used and also works by simply by tapping the edge of the screen.  I just tried  them both and the touch areas on the Voyage seem to be disabled when in landscape mode, and active when in portrait.  I like the slightly larger size of the Oasis for just sitting and reading, but if I have to be away from the house I like the Voyage because being a little bit smaller I can simply slip it in my back pants pocket.

#21 ·
Thank you all for your help. I took the plunge. I've ordered a Voyage and a case with a hand strap. I've never had an e-reader before, I've always used my iPhone. I expect Apple will send the attack drones soon. However if Apple want me to be able to read the Kindle app in the garden, they should produce a screen that works outside. I tried yesterday-eyestrain.

I will be forever grateful that Amazon allows me to pay monthly! I also think I can at least sit outside with my Voyage (also bought for the slightly smaller size that'll fit in my bag easier) and read my latest book on my kindle and make notes on paper. It's not ideal, but my laptop is hopeless outside. Technology-I want everything to work perfectly everywhere and I want it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.