Author Topic: Kindle Worlds closing down?  (Read 4779 times)  

Offline Dale Ivan Smith

• Greater Portlandia
    • View Profile
    • Dale Ivan Smith
Re: Kindle Worlds closing down?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this. It was an honor, a privilege and a great deal of fun to write a novel set in Lindsay Buroker's Fallen Empire universe. Lindsay is awesome to work with, as were my fellow Fallen Empire Kindle World authors.

Dale Ivan Smith | Website | Facebook

Online T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
    • T. M. Bilderback's Website
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
I'm waiting to hear it from J. A. Konrath. I'm hoping that he will figure out a way to keep everyone's stories alive without sacrificing using his characters.

The Night Chicago Died was one of my favorite books to write! I absolutely was honored to combine his world with mine!

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Offline wilsonharp

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Just got the official e-mail. Kindle Worlds is closing and that is a real shame. So much potential and yet so poorly managed and promoted.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
My Veronica Mars novella fared really well at the beginning. But after the movie and without any new VM books, sales really started to fall. Seems unlikely that Rob Thomas will let the authors republish on our own! :/

Offline BlackHoodPress

• Terminal City
    • View Profile
    • Black Hood Press
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
This is a real bummer, though not unexpected. I'm surprised it lasted this long. My Veronica Mars series did pretty well (glad I didn't get very far on my next one), though there were a lot of things that Amazon could have done better. Great idea that never reached its full potential.

New pulp stories written in the classic style
Roger Alford | Website | Twitter | Amazon Author Page

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
It sounds as if Amazon is reaching the stage that plagues a lot of companies that were ambitious startups and grew maybe a little too big. It's often the companies that are young and hungry that produce innovations. Kindle Worlds sounds like a great innovative idea in which Amazon lost interest. I wonder if the owners of some of the worlds could seek a different platform for a similar idea. If done properly, it could still be a winner.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »
I would have liked to do something in a Kindle World.  But most of them are 'worlds' I've never heard of, and the rest are either worlds/genres I'm not interested in, or couldn't bring myself to write.  Or both.

Overall, though, I think KW is a very good concept.  I imagine some of the worlds are very specialized and niche-y, though.

I kinda like the idea of it and had considered I might try it sometimes, but I have the same problem that almost all of them are ones I've never even heard of. The only one that was even a maybe for me was Vampire Diaries, and that was still way down my list.

There's potential in the idea, but I think first, the people running it have to understand fanfic--especially what drives people to write it and read it. (Because that's really all Kindle Worlds is.) From what I saw with KW, they don't, so it doesn't surprise me this ended up failing for them. One of the major things they needed and didn't have were a handful of serious big-time, popular fandoms, and they didn't. JK Rowling, for example, could probably buy a country if she could tap into all the fanfic people want to write about her world, without constraining them so much that no one wants to bother with her. If TV studios could ever show a small amount of sense, they could tap into all those cult classics they own but aren't doing anything with and do something like KW for all these shows that have been cancelled for decades but still have big fan bases.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
I kinda like the idea of it and had considered I might try it sometimes, but I have the same problem that almost all of them are ones I've never even heard of. The only one that was even a maybe for me was Vampire Diaries, and that was still way down my list.

There's potential in the idea, but I think first, the people running it have to understand fanfic--especially what drives people to write it and read it. (Because that's really all Kindle Worlds is.) From what I saw with KW, they don't, so it doesn't surprise me this ended up failing for them. One of the major things they needed and didn't have were a handful of serious big-time, popular fandoms, and they didn't. JK Rowling, for example, could probably buy a country if she could tap into all the fanfic people want to write about her world, without constraining them so much that no one wants to bother with her. If TV studios could ever show a small amount of sense, they could tap into all those cult classics they own but aren't doing anything with and do something like KW for all these shows that have been cancelled for decades but still have big fan bases.

I'm with you 100% on this.  I'd be much more likely to write (and even read) Kindle Worlds book related to TV shows rather than books.
Jena

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »
I'm with you 100% on this.  I'd be much more likely to write (and even read) Kindle Worlds book related to TV shows rather than books.

The problem is that, like Rowling, they can potentially make a lot more money licensing their IP themselves than doing it through Amazon.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
The problem is that, like Rowling, they can potentially make a lot more money licensing their IP themselves than doing it through Amazon.

I wasn't suggesting they actually do it through Amazon, but rather that they came up with their own website.

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
Add to that the crusade against illegitimate page-reads, and perhaps an increase in customer service automation (thinking of Julie's recent experience). I wonder if KDP is being forced to tighten the belt and is beginning with what they see as low-hanging fruit.

I don't know. But it is not tightening I suspect, Amazon does not need too. Just ROI and cutting programs that have outlived their purpose.

1st Write On, then Kindle Scout, and I wondered about Kindle World might be next.  I think their Screen Writer thing went too, not sure.

But Amazon has learned something and I am sure there are take-away(s). So expect something new soon. 

I am basically a reader now trying to find free good stuff to read. Amazon needs to target readers to get them to be more active. I suspect some computer interfacing to pick up to entice readers to be more active in the process or at least more sharing and tracking.  You can do that really already by looking at book reviewer's public account (if the reader bothers to make one and keep it up). But it reflects more than just books - all items they have bought and reviewed.

Author Pages need some more beefing up I think so readers may can be more supportive there. Oh well, here is hoping. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:08:54 PM by Max 007 »

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
It sounds as if Amazon is reaching the stage that plagues a lot of companies that were ambitious startups and grew maybe a little too big. It's often the companies that are young and hungry that produce innovations. Kindle Worlds sounds like a great innovative idea in which Amazon lost interest. I wonder if the owners of some of the worlds could seek a different platform for a similar idea. If done properly, it could still be a winner.

I did notice the dog-and-pony show by some of the authors WRT them sharing their world. Of course they get part of the royalty - so why not pump it as an opportunity for authors? Atlantis World sounded kind of interesting to me, but I never explored that. I still have the first book to finish. ;)

So what do those guys (authors and their worlds) do now? It is a bigger bust for them I bet if this was making them money

Atlantis was the only thing I found interesting really to even think of following.

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:11 AM »
I only have 1 title on Kindle Worlds, but it sold well for me. That's a shame that it is being shut down. Several reviewers asked for a sequel... fortunately I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

No idea what we do with our KW title(s) now, but I am sure it's not legal to publish it/them on your own (the franchise belongs to someone else). Perhaps slog it into the back drawer until another day.

Busy with new books... move forward  (and hope KDP as a whole doesn't get shut next).

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2018, 03:00:25 AM »
I'm sorry to see this one go. I had a couple of Worlds I wanted to try but every time I took a look at the situation I'd see "ONLY US AUTHORS" and I'd get second thoughts.

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:36 AM »
1st Write On, then Kindle Scout, and I wondered about Kindle World might be next.  I think their Screen Writer thing went too, not sure.

They closed their screenplay portal without any warning a month or two ago. It was a shame. Writing a screenplay has been on my list for a long time. That news just moved it much farther down the list!

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:29 AM »
But the only REAL thing one can count on in publishing is that nothing stays the same for long. *sigh*

Always this.

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome."

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online Amyshojai

• North Texas
  • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »
Stay tuned -- many of the WORLD license authors are working toward a resolution, alongside their many fan-fic authors. My own 3 in Toby Neal's KW sold well, and we were able to cross promote between our own work to bring new readers to each other. KW was very restrictive as others have said -- only for US authors/readers, and only on Kindle. Now, the owners of the WORLD can decide how/if/when to do something different.

I'm actually excited by the potential! Never got much in the way of KU reads for the books anyway (that was only for a few months), and all my other titles are "wide."

Offline CABarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
No idea what we do with our KW title(s) now, but I am sure it's not legal to publish it/them on your own (the franchise belongs to someone else). Perhaps slog it into the back drawer until another day.

Busy with new books... move forward  (and hope KDP as a whole doesn't get shut next).

Correct. When our rights revert in July, we are left with unlicensed fanfiction that is illegal to publish. Since we know that the franchise owners are open to licensing, we can make our own agreement with them, or we can rewrite our work to remove all protected elements.

Like Amyshojai, I think we may see some incredible indie collaboration rise from the ashes.

Offline Jenni

• Western, NY
  • Sexy, Edgy, Romantic Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Jen Talty
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »
I feel surprised that they're wiping the program out completely instead of just ending their paid/promoted launches.

They stopped schedule launches with paid bonuses in February. Many authors were trying to get dates in 2018, but Amazon kept putting them off and then they said, no more bonuses except for already scheduled ones.
Jen Talty

Offline Jenni

• Western, NY
  • Sexy, Edgy, Romantic Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Jen Talty
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
From what I hear authors will have to republish the books themselves under new titles...not sure how it is going to work exactly.

Not necessarily. Some authors are letting that happen or opening up their own publishing house so authors can continue, and others are insisting they own the fan authors characters and story.
Jen Talty

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
It's good to see owner authors working with fan authors, especially since many of them are losing a stream of income without notice. This is a tough situation for all the authors involved.

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »
Not necessarily. Some authors are letting that happen or opening up their own publishing house so authors can continue, and others are insisting they own the fan authors characters and story.

The owners do own the rights to the stories and any new characters the fan authors came up with per the contract.

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07:20 PM »
The owners do own the rights to the stories and any new characters the fan authors came up with per the contract.

I don't see that anywhere in there. They have the right to use those characters, but they don't own them.

Offline Perry Constantine

• Japan
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 12:50:15 AM »
I created my own cover for mine and it worked fine. You don't have to use their images.

It varies by world and there's very little information on what's acceptable if you are allowed to submit your own covers. For example, I was interested in doing some stuff for the Valiant world--specifically Quantum & Woody. But Valiant didn't provide any Quantum & Woody images to use for the cover. So could I commission my own cover by hiring an artist to draw Quantum & Woody? Is that permitted or is that a no-no? No information in the terms.

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 01:02:11 AM »
I don't see that anywhere in there. They have the right to use those characters, but they don't own them.

It's stated in a couple of different ways in the Kindle Worlds publishing agreement, starting with:

4. Rights You Grant to Us; No Reversion.  Due to our licensing arrangement with the World Licensor and the collaborative nature of Kindle Worlds, you are granting us broad licenses in your Work and the new elements included in your Work, and the rights to your Work will not be reverted once it is published in the Program. 

It then goes on to detail the many ways in which they have all the rights and the authors have none. Such as:

You agree that the New Elements are available for unrestricted use by us without any additional compensation, notification or attribution, including that we may allow other Kindle Worlds authors, the World Licensor and other third parties to use the New Elements.  The licenses that you grant us in Section 4(a) and this Section 4(b) are exclusive.  This means that you may not, and may not authorize any other party to, develop, license, reproduce, print, publish, distribute, translate, display, publicly perform, prepare derivative works of, or transmit your Work, in whole or in part, or any work containing any of the New Elements, except with our prior consent.

Some owners may very graciously allow different terms now that the program has ended, but I'm talking about the actual contract. The writers own nothing. That was always the agreement you had to accept to publish in the program.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:15:12 AM by Shelley K »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac