Author Topic: Book Cover Coherency (for trilogy)  (Read 735 times)  

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
Book Cover Coherency (for trilogy)
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
Hey all,

I'm back again. Pursuit and Plight are currently out as is. The third book, Prevail, (which ends the series) is in final editing stages. I wanted to get some feedback about the 3rd cover but figured it would make sense to see them all side by side. On the third cover, I thought it might be interesting to invert the colors, mark it as 'the end'. I'll take critical feedback. My skin's pretty thick. I can make any changes. Sidenote: since changing the original covers, I've been moving more copies. It was high time. And this third book, well, it's taken a long time to push out of the proverbial womb. I wanted consistency and stand-out changes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, even if it's just to say, 'cool. good luck,'.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:47:52 AM by scott.marmorstein »
PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 100%

The Wizard & The Jewel The Chronicles of Ionor: 100%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline idontknowyet

• View Profile
Re: Book Cover Coherency (for trilogy)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »
I would keep the font color consistent with the previous 2 books instead of reversing it.
Book 3 is very similar to book 1 which makes book 2 look like the odd man out.

I like book 3. The only other think I would change is the falling leaves on his body. I don't see the purpose to them and find them distracting (a small detail though not huge in the overall).

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »
I would keep the font color consistent with the previous 2 books instead of reversing it.
Book 3 is very similar to book 1 which makes book 2 look like the odd man out.

I like book 3. The only other think I would change is the falling leaves on his body. I don't see the purpose to them and find them distracting (a small detail though not huge in the overall).

I agree with the leaves too. Going to remove them. Thanks for the idea about the font colors.

Offline L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »
I agree with keeping the fonts the same.

If you were going to reverse the fonts, you should've done it on book 2, not the last book. Now it just looks off balance.

Otherwise, I don't mind books 1 and 3 having similar covers. In a way, it ties them together as a series. I agree with the leaves and you could also up the contrast on book 3 a little.

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
I agree with keeping the fonts the same.

If you were going to reverse the fonts, you should've done it on book 2, not the last book. Now it just looks off balance.

Otherwise, I don't mind books 1 and 3 having similar covers. In a way, it ties them together as a series. I agree with the leaves and you could also up the contrast on book 3 a little.

Thank you. And FWIW, my wife just said she thinks the 3rd book shouldn't even have a person on it. Hmm...

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »
Ok, I've made some of the adjustments asked for here. See what you think. I considered erasing the guy entirely and replacing him with a shimmering light in the forest...not sure that would fly though.

Offline JoyMosby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:40:42 PM »
Your background picture for the first and the third book are very similar, maybe that is what you are going for, but IMO I would be afraid of confusing the potential buyer. ('wait didn't I already read this? The covers are almost the same.')
I agree with change the colors on the font, it looks much better with the new one you posted.
 ;D

Joy Mosby | JoyMosby.com

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »
I feel like Prevail should have an image that ramps up the intensity. The first is a chase scene in a creepy forest with birds, the second is a crashing plane, and now the third is a guy standing in that same forest as book 1 but without the birds or anything else going on? *Yawn* he's not even fist pumping in triumph or holding a bloody knife. He's just standing there.

I'd also try finding an image that lets you put the text in the same spots as books 1 and 2.

I like matching the font colors. It looked weird flipping them.

Offline L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »
Don't forget to change your author-text to white.

Also, I mean, for kicks could you find a different cover image?

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
Don't overlook the things that cross the t-s and dot the i-s on series branding:

- Your cover sizes are all over the shop. Make them the same.
- Your name placing and series title placing is all over the shop. Put them in 100% exactly the same place on all covers.
- the shade of red is all over the shop
- the text colouring is all over the shop
- the hue of the background is all over the shop
- the font effects are all over the shop

The covers are similar enough that all these things should be fixed to get a unified picture. Also I suggest trying to place the title in exactly the same position on all three books.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:56:54 AM »
My advice: as the others have already mentioned, keep the branding the same.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline VanessaC

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 01:58:23 AM »
Take this with vast doses of salt, as I'm no cover expert but ...

Agree with what others have said - keep the colour and font the same across all three.

Also, when the three were lined up like that in the first post they didn't - quite - look like a trilogy / read-through series to me.  Perhaps this is from what Patty's commented about getting the details right.  The covers look like they belong together just not quite in harmony.

You have fantastic titles, though - Prevail is a strong, bold word and I feel like it needs a stronger image to go with it.  Your bright light idea might work well. :)

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 02:56:37 AM »
Thank you so much to everyone--especially to Betsy. I'm color-correcting and font-cohering at present. When I have a more cohesive (and more powerful 3rd book cover image) I will display the three of them in this thread. Hopefully by end of today. (At full-time job now, just wanted to not leave you all hanging.) Really appreciate all that was said. It takes a village to get things right.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:33 AM »
Don't overlook the things that cross the t-s and dot the i-s on series branding:

- Your cover sizes are all over the shop. Make them the same.
- Your name placing and series title placing is all over the shop. Put them in 100% exactly the same place on all covers.
- the shade of red is all over the shop
- the text colouring is all over the shop
- the hue of the background is all over the shop
- the font effects are all over the shop

The covers are similar enough that all these things should be fixed to get a unified picture. Also I suggest trying to place the title in exactly the same position on all three books.

^^^  ;)

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
Okay, here we go. I made modifications to all 3 book covers. I also added something that is entirely consistent with all 3 books to the 3rd book cover, the man in the top hat with the crow and his strange aura (purple) all on purpose, all consistent with the content of the book. I can believe the protagonist is walking into the light in the woods while the evil antagonist watches.

Did I do the job? Hate it? Like, love, or meh-it? LMK.

Offline BrianDHoward

• Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • Brian D Howard - Author
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
Okay, here we go. I made modifications to all 3 book covers. I also added something that is entirely consistent with all 3 books to the 3rd book cover, the man in the top hat with the crow and his strange aura (purple) all on purpose, all consistent with the content of the book. I can believe the protagonist is walking into the light in the woods while the evil antagonist watches.

text still needs to line up across all three. Book 1 doesn't line up with the other two.

My suggestion:

Book one he's running away, which fits "Pursuit" well.
Book two up's the stakes, and "Plight" fits again.
Book three "Prevail" is good, but nothing about the picture feels victorious.

The purple aura doesn't look like an aura to me, it looks like a photoshop select-and-cut artifact. Personally, I'd leave that guy off the cover. I don't think the "crow" element really comes across on book two's cover. I saw crashing plane and the birds barely registered. Leaving them/it off book three doesn't seem like an issue.

If you could have him walking towards us in book three I think that would reflect the sense of agency a finale book ought to have, IMO. The villain watching at the end suggests it isn't the end after all.

And for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Hunter in red and the rest white. Part of me ends up reading it as:
Hunter
Owen Series

I think I'd go with first line in red, second in white. Also, as mentioned above, your title red and the red you're using above should be the same color.
Riftworlds Online Book 1: Space Opera: 65%
Brian D Howard | Blog

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
text still needs to line up across all three. Book 1 doesn't line up with the other two.

My suggestion:

Book one he's running away, which fits "Pursuit" well.
Book two up's the stakes, and "Plight" fits again.
Book three "Prevail" is good, but nothing about the picture feels victorious.

The purple aura doesn't look like an aura to me, it looks like a photoshop select-and-cut artifact. Personally, I'd leave that guy off the cover. I don't think the "crow" element really comes across on book two's cover. I saw crashing plane and the birds barely registered. Leaving them/it off book three doesn't seem like an issue.

If you could have him walking towards us in book three I think that would reflect the sense of agency a finale book ought to have, IMO. The villain watching at the end suggests it isn't the end after all.

And for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Hunter in red and the rest white. Part of me ends up reading it as:
Hunter
Owen Series

I think I'd go with first line in red, second in white. Also, as mentioned above, your title red and the red you're using above should be the same color.

Maybe it's your screen? All the colors are identical entirely for all fonts--because I ensured it. They're as close to the same area as they can possibly be, because of the sizes of each book (the lengths of each book are slightly different, which changes the width ever so slightly, bumping the words around a bit.) I can get it maybe a little closer.

Noted about the bad guy watching not giving a sense of ending--I will take him out. Thanks! :)

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
I'm working on changing the color schemes a bit. A little too...red, white, and blue. Which was not intentional.

Offline Kay Camden

• Midwestern USA
    • View Profile
    • kaycamden.com
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
I also think "Hunter" should be white.
Twisty plots with smart heroines, haunted heroes, ancient feuds, forbidden love, magic, and revenge.
Kay Camden | kaycamden.com

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
I also think "Hunter" should be white.

Thank you.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 03:42:32 PM »
PLIGHT needs a reduction in contrast and an increase in brightness to match 1 and 3.

Drop the guy with the crow on 3. Maybe put a single crow in flight somewhere in the trees.

I'm not saying my changes would make perfection - just match the 1 and 3 books.

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 05:57:12 AM »
All righty then...my wife (RISD Art Major) made a suggestion that I change the 'Book One' 'Two' 'Three' a different color or "it won't work." Her vehemence compelled me. Also had to change color schemes (again). I've worked hard to get the letter spacing on the covers as close to exact as they can get. The deal is that each book is a different page length, and so it naturally messes with the spacing of certain elements. But this is pretty close. I don't know that the casual observer (reader) would notice (or terribly mind) that some things are a little bit unlike the other. It's that way naturally so that each cover doesn't end up looking really weird. Still, close is close. Really close. I'm open to hearing feedback, but at this point, I'm pretty much done. It's a vast improvement over the original covers and I'm pretty happy with the hours I've put into these covers.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:59:00 AM by scott.marmorstein »

Offline DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
I think they're steadily doing better but there are a few more changes I would suggest. First is the common request to use the same font sizes and placements from book to book. I would also recommend moving the text (except for the author name) upwards, especially the title. The way you have it, the titles are blocking the focal point of the images, which is a problem for me.

Using the second cover as an example, placing the title so that it rests just above the crest of the road rather than blocking it would draw the eye to the title naturally and make it feel more like part of the composition.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac