Author Topic: My new Kindle Paperwhite 3G arrived without proper updates  (Read 449 times)  

Offline Marchhare

• View Profile
My Paperwhite 3g received this week was missing an update from 2017 which made BOLD type possible as well as the current update. This is essential for me as I have diminishing vision at 78 y/o. I spoke with two experts without success. After a reset I was left with a suggestion I get and install the update manually. I could not do this as I have an iPad and chrome book only. While I will be returning it I would like to get the same device with the current updates. Other Amazon customers report this issue as well as after manually installing an update they later cannot get subsequent updates when they are rolled out. I cant figure out how to get past the Amazon firewall. Any advice is most appreciated.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
Re: My new Kindle Paperwhite 3G arrived without proper updates
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
If you keep your WiFi connected on your Kindle, it will download automatically. Like Support said, manually download is an option some people use if you want the update without waiting. But I do understand that you arent able to do this with what you own. Do you have a public library that you go to download the update?

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
Does your Chromebook have a USB port? I just googled this and it sounds like it does. Connect your Kindle with the cord it came with. You can download the directly to your Kindle. You dont have to save it to your computer at all.

Offline Marchhare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »
Kimberly, thank you.  I did both of your suggestions with guidance from the Amazon experts.  After downloading the Kindle update 5.8.11 Chromebook wrote  "This file type is not supported."  I was unable to get a Chrome extension to do it.  The Kindle is packaged for return Monday.  I would like to be able to purchase another new one  (am I nuts or what?) that is fully loaded as it should be when purchased. Others posting on Amazon also had Kindles that would not download updates after purchased and after manually installing them the Kindle once again would not automatically update the next one.  Some had further complications. This is truly a First World Problem but still frustrating.  I do appreciate your help.  I wish Amazon was as responsive.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
If you put that .bin file on your Kindle and restart the Kindle, it will update. Your Chromebook isnt needed to do anything other than be the vehicle to get the file to the Kindle.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:42:25 AM »
Kimberly is correct.

To manually update, you download the file to another computer -- and a Chomebook should work; just save it to the desktop or whatever.

THEN, plug in your kindle so it sees it as a drive. Drag and drop, or copy and paste the file to the kindle -- don't put it in any sub-folder, just drop it on the icon. Properly disconnect the kindle from the computer and turn on the kindle.

Go to menu/settings. . . Update the device should be select-able and when you do it will apply and run the update you just put in it's root.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Marchhare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your advice.