Author Topic: Is there any way to connect a bluetooth keyboard to any e-ink Kindle?  (Read 544 times)  

Offline RealAnise

• View Profile
Hey all,
So here's what I'm trying to do.
I desperately need some way to write that does not involve staring at an LCD screen. I have genetic vision issues, and it is just not good for me. I need to save that amount of time for apps that can't be done any other way, like graphic design and video editing. I don't want to spend $500 on a Freewrite-- it just doesn't seem worth it, or $800 on an Onyx. It just seems like there has to be some way, somehow, to get an e-ink Kindle to do this. The Fire definitely has this feature, but... it's obviously not e-ink.

What I'm thinking is this: if I can just pair a bluetooth keyboard with an e-ink Kindle that has the ability to go online, then I can use Google docs (or some kind of similar workaround). So that's what I'm trying to find. Is there ANY kind of e-ink Kindle that can do this and also go online?? All help greatly appreciated!

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Have you thought about an AlphaSmart? There are several models available on ebay and Amazon. These are used, but many of us have bought them and love the portability and a screen that's easy on the eyes. They are really inexpensive.

I've got the Neo and I love it. Easy transfer via printer cable to Word on your computer.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline RealAnise

• View Profile
I think the screen is just too small, and I need to have some way of switching between docs-- thanks for the suggestion, though. It just seems like there HAS to be some way to connect a bluetooth keyboard to some kind of e-ink Kindle, because it IS possible on the Fire.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
As far as I know, the answer to your question is NO. Fires are tablets. Kindles are dedicated eReaders. My understanding is that the operating systems are completely different.

Kindles are not designed for complex input nor can you really compose on them . . . the only software is for displaying text, not creating it, except for short notes. The older kindles don't even have bluetooth; newer ones do, but, again, it's for output -- specifically, audio -- vs input of any sort.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
No. Kindles have no Bluetooth.

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
No. They don't have bluetooth and they are e-readers, not work processors. Buy a laptop or a tablet.
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
No. They don't have bluetooth and they are e-readers, not work processors. Buy a laptop or a tablet.

The OP specifically said s/he is looking for something without a backlit screen due to eye issues . . . . and was hoping a kindle with it's eInk screen would work. :)

Though I do wonder -- there are filter apps that you can get for tablets and, I presume, laptops that will filter out specific light colors. The popular ones are the blue blocker type, but if there's some other color that causes trouble I would think there would be a way to adjust it out. I don't, of course, have any idea what your specific eye issues are. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
No. Kindles have no Bluetooth.

Actually not quite true, though true enough for the keyboard the OP is asking about.

As Ann said earlier, newer eInk Kindles have Bluetooth audio capability.  On my first-gen Oasis, you can go into Settings > Wi-Fi & Bluetooth and enable Bluetooth.  At which point you have the ability to "pair a Bluetooth audio device."  This capability seems to be available on all current models, not sure how far back it goes.

I know from the early days of Kindle, we have had members who have used their Kindles with their homework, taking notes and such. EInk Kindles are relatively inexpensive, light and have great battery life.  And screens that are easy on the eyes.  Nothing wrong with asking. :)

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline RealAnise

• View Profile
Hey all-- yep, what made me think of a bluetooth keyboard with an e ink reader is that the Kindle Fire does indeed work with that. I've written on it, saved docs, etc etc etc. It doesn't make sense to me that there wouldn't be any new e-ink readers that could do the same thing. I mean, it doesn't make sense in a starting-a-rant way... obviously, it's a thing! ;) I have idiopathic macular degeneration. The way it works is similar to the much more common age-related form, but this can strike at any age. I have actually seen babies at Casey Retinal Institute when I've been there.  It is very rare. Eight doctors in a row said that they did not know the cause (including the head of Casey OHSU.) And it's in remission now. But it would be so much better to be able to spend part of my computer time NOT staring at an LCD screen. I really think that at some point, Amazon is going to have to get with the program here and offer the keyboard option with e-ink readers too. There aren't many people who need e-ink monitors for the same reason I do, BUT the over 65 population is huge and rapidly growing. Not to mention that it would be better for everybody to not be using an LCD screen all the time. Because they do already have that with the Kindle Fires, I just don't see any logical reason why it wouldn't work with e-ink. Onyx does have this, but for $800... it's hard to justify. So that's why I'm trying to find other options.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:16:08 PM by RealAnise »

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Maybe Dragon Naturally Speaking would work for you. You don't have to look at the screen while you're dictating although you would have to go back and edit. At least that would cut down on your screen time.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
And, by the way, RealAnise--

Welcome to KBoards!

;D
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
If you Google "eink laptops" you'll get a number of responses. Maybe one of these would work.
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Gary_Berg

• View Profile
Some of the non-Amazon e-ink readers are full Android devices. I think the one Good-E-Reader makes, for example. Some of these are bigger too. Basically they are e-ink Android tablets.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
If you really want to do it on e-ink with a reader, you can do it with an older Nook (rooted) as it's based on android and you can load apps after root. I've played with it and it works fine.

What it sounds like though is you really wanting a long form writer. Why not use a Pomera by KingJim. Those things are incredible. Alpha Smart (the ferrari of keyboards) mentioned, yes, but way too big for most practical purposes. If you have the money, this is going to be the new Pomera coming out and from owning the previous two iterations (I use the DM100 as a daily writer and it appears to have the same keyboard), it's incredible and the screen you want, the battery life and the portability. The QR code feature of transporting short text is phenomenal. i write letters to my friends on my older Pomera and send the QR image so they get a little letter inside:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2132003782/pomera-pocket-typewriter-with-e-ink
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:45:21 PM by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)