Author Topic: Cozy Erotica... is it a thing?  (Read 1632 times)  

Offline Mike Coville

• View Profile
Cozy Erotica... is it a thing?
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »
So I'm busy trying to words together to write a book. Who knew it was difficult to do, right. Anyways, my wife is bitten by the writing bug now and is giving it a try. I'm very excited, talking craft is a lot of fun.

She wants to right a heart warming cozy romance, that also includes steamy descriptive sex scenes. Has anyone see this work before? Is there an audience for such a thing?

Any advice you want to pass along will be most welcomed.
Mike Coville | Author Site

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
Re: Cozy Erotica... is it a thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's called an erotic romance. Or maybe spicy romance, depending. It's definitely a thing. I think it's about 90% of the romance genre right now, so there's most def an audience. An insatiable audience, actually.

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:21 PM »
When I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about cozy mysteries with explicit sex scenes. I mean, those ladies are already knitting, baking cupcakes and solving crimes...do they really have the time?

Offline idontknowyet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:39:52 PM »
When I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about cozy mysteries with explicit sex scenes. I mean, those ladies are already knitting, baking cupcakes and solving crimes...do they really have the time?

This made me laugh!!!!

Yeah erotic romance sounds like her genre. She might want to read a few to get a feel for the genre.

Offline Mike Coville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:43:47 PM »

You win. I literally laughed out loud.

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »
It's not easy to do. You can try a search and see what kind of erotica she'd like to write. Erotic romances can be paranormal, contemporary, romantic suspense too. Erotica usually has a "kink" of some sort, like some unusual sexual interest. I mostly write menage, multiple partners. She might want to read a few before she tries writing her own. It could give her ideas. ;-)
Good for her for giving writing a try.

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:19:46 PM »
If you market it as erotica, it is doable, and it will sell. Not necessarily big sales, but it can sell. Mine do.

However, most of the 'erotic romances' are marketed as romance, or 'women's fiction', and they usually have a partially clothed couple, or a tatted muscular dude on the cover.

They are called 'romance' but are packed full of sex, much of which can be seen from the LookInsides.

Those types of 'erotic romances' sell rather well.

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »

If Aurora Teagarden can find the time for a different guy in each Hallmark movie she stars in, I'm pretty sure a book protagonist with the same profession could do the same~

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline Mike Coville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »
Awesome, thank you all for the advice. She feels much better about her idea now.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »
Does not sound like erotica at all. Romance with sex scenes is not erotica. Erotica is a story about sex, written to excite, to put it delicately. From what I know, and it is not my genre, one normally specializes in various kinks as that is what sells. I am aware that there is literary erotica too, but that is not what indie authors are generally writing as far as I know.

There is erotic romance also. Also not the same as steamy romance.

Steamy sweet heartwarming romance is absolutely a thing. A big thing. I know that partially because it is my own very tasty bread and butter. It is not usually erotic romance though. In erotic romance, the sex is a big part of the plot. In other words, the story is about the sex at least partially. In steamy romance, the sex scenes are frosting on the cake and the story is not about what kind of sex they have. The sex is there to deepen intimacy. There would typically be three or four sex scenes, not necessarily all intercourse.  The sex probably does not start until a ways into the book. It does not necessarily have a nekkid guy on the cover or a couple, but the sex can go all the way to kinky.

Your wife should be reading romance in order to place what she wants to do somewhere along the spectrum and figure out what her audience might enjoy, and to get some idea of how to signal it. That does not mean she has to write like anybody else, but what she chooses to write is the most important element iin marketing.

Edited to clarify sub genres as best I can.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:37:00 AM by Usedtoposthere »

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
In other words, if she has to ask this question, she probably has not read enough romance. :)

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:14 AM »
In other words, if she has to ask this question, she probably has not read enough romance. :)

This.

Sexless or fade to black is a minority niche in romance. The majority of romance novels have on-page sex. The level of detail it receives, the language used, the number of times it occurs, and the level of kink involved in the act determine its relative heat rating, not the mere presence of sex.

Most of the responses here jumped straight to erotica, but "steamy" as defined by someone who swoons with mortification at the thought of writing a kiss with tongue may be "cold dishwater" by genre standards. The only way to determine where it would fit in the genre is to know the genre, and that involves a whole lot of reading.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 04:00:00 AM »
"Dang, Hercule," Miss Marple said. "You have got some mighty fine looking gray cells there. Why don't we go meet up with Professor Plum in the billiard room and I'll show you a certain maneuver that I like to call the Orient Express!"  8)

(I'm going to hell, aren't I???)

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:19 AM »
This.

Sexless or fade to black is a minority niche in romance. The majority of romance novels have on-page sex. The level of detail it receives, the language used, the number of times it occurs, and the level of kink involved in the act determine its relative heat rating, not the mere presence of sex.

Most of the responses here jumped straight to erotica, but "steamy" as defined by someone who swoons with mortification at the thought of writing a kiss with tongue may be "cold dishwater" by genre standards. The only way to determine where it would fit in the genre is to know the genre, and that involves a whole lot of reading.
This. And it is not a clear progression. One can write very steamy and detailed scenes, even quite kinky scenes, without naming body parts, for example. And sexual tension is as important as its satisfaction. Sex is above all communication and intimacy in a romance. And yes, it is also written to produce sexyfeels in the reader. A good love scene in a romance will evoke both a physical and an emotional response. That is what it is there for.

Online Dayseye

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 05:20:14 AM »
"Dang, Hercule," Miss Marple said. "You have got some mighty fine looking gray cells there. Why don't we go meet up with Professor Plum in the billiard room and I'll show you a certain maneuver that I like to call the Orient Express!"  8)

(I'm going to hell, aren't I???)

Yes. Miss Marple would never utter the word "Dang".

Offline LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 05:23:14 AM »
So I'm busy trying to words together to write a book. Who knew it was difficult to do, right. Anyways, my wife is bitten by the writing bug now and is giving it a try. I'm very excited, talking craft is a lot of fun.

She wants to right a heart warming cozy romance, that also includes steamy descriptive sex scenes. Has anyone see this work before? Is there an audience for such a thing?

Any advice you want to pass along will be most welcomed.

I do think cozy (as in give you the warm fuzzy feel good about life feelings) Erotica exists.  I don't think that's really what you're describing.

As others have already said, Erotica and Romance are two different genres.  Erotica can have romantic elements, and Romance can have erotica elements, but the stories are primarily about different things. 

Erotica is where the story follows a character/s as they explore a sexual kink or experience (often something new to at least one of the characters in the story, but not always).  The conflict often revolves around the character accepting their own desires, and the consequences of life afterwards if they go ahead with the experience.

Romance is where the story follows the development of a romantic relationship. The conflict revolves around the hurdles (internal/emotional and external) that keep the couple (or more) from reaching a point where they can be happy together in their relationship.  Whether graphic sex scenes are shared through the telling of that story doesn't change the genre.

As for whether heartwarming, cozy romances with graphic sex scenes exist, absolutely they do.  The Harlequin/Mills & Boon Special Edition line would be a good place to look for some. 

Offline notenoughcoffee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
This. And it is not a clear progression. One can write very steamy and detailed scenes, even quite kinky scenes, without naming body parts, for example. And sexual tension is as important as its satisfaction. Sex is above all communication and intimacy in a romance. And yes, it is also written to produce sexyfeels in the reader. A good love scene in a romance will evoke both a physical and an emotional response. That is what it is there for.

I'm trying to imagine reading a sex scene, especially a kinky one, without naming body parts. I'm not having any luck.

Of course, my idea of sexy or graphic is not the same as someone who is very sexually repressed and thinks any position other than missionary is "kinky." But in my experience, saying a book has kinky elements in it means no cutesy, flowery language (unless perhaps it's the two or three kinks that use that sort of G-rated language but they're a very very small monitory of kinky people). I guess 50 shades is a pretty big exception to that (from excerpts I've read) but I also say "Do better than that" cause my dog, it was bad, from the perspective of someone who isn't vanilla as vanilla gets.

Buuuuut I also figure kinky books are written for kinky people who don't balk at describing genitals and what not, especially when they're marketed as romance, erotic romance, steamy romance, etc.

I don't understand how "cozy erotica" would work as my understanding of "cozy" is that nothing less chaste than a kiss can happen on page and no one ever cusses or acts crudely. Erotica exists to arouse the reader, so cozy erotica sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Offline Mike Coville

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »

Can you offer recommendations for some books that fit the description?

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
I'm trying to imagine reading a sex scene, especially a kinky one, without naming body parts. I'm not having any luck.

Try reading some pulp sleaze from around 1960-1970 or so. There are eBooks online. Those writers had to imply a lot of things, using words from the dictionaries of the time, and had to ignore other words that were in some dictionaries but weren't in the garden variety of Webster's.

One author who was good at it wrote a preface to one of his re-published books, where he describes writing a sex scene without naming body parts. Or at least refraining from describing the vital ones.

Offline notenoughcoffee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »
Try reading some pulp sleaze from around 1960-1970 or so. There are eBooks online. Those writers had to imply a lot of things, using words from the dictionaries of the time, and had to ignore other words that were in some dictionaries but weren't in the garden variety of Webster's.

One author who was good at it wrote a preface to one of his re-published books, where he describes writing a sex scene without naming body parts. Or at least refraining from describing the vital ones.

But it's not 1960 or 1970. Not even most trad pubs are going to be like "Hey, ya know, take out all references to body parts. We can't let people know that body parts exist for sexual gratification."

Edit to add: I think my point here is that if you can't or won't talk about body parts used for sex, don't market it as erotica, or steamy romance, or erotic romance, because readers are going to expect to know the details of his thing and what it does to her thing.

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
But it's not 1960 or 1970. Not even most trad pubs are going to be like "Hey, ya know, take out all references to body parts. We can't let people know that body parts exist for sexual gratification."

Edit to add: I think my point here is that if you can't or won't talk about body parts used for sex, don't market it as erotica, or steamy romance, or erotic romance, because readers are going to expect to know the details of his thing and what it does to her thing.

Usedtoposthere writes steamy romance and she gets the job done without having to name body parts.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline notenoughcoffee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
Usedtoposthere writes steamy romance and she gets the job done without having to name body parts.

*shrug* Maybe my idea of "steamy" is different than others, as I would absolutely expect to know about his anatomy and hers. In detail. 

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
If Aurora Teagarden can find the time for a different guy in each Hallmark movie she stars in, I'm pretty sure a book protagonist with the same profession could do the same~

LOL :)

OP, maybe try those books?  I haven't read them, but they're supposed to be steamier than the Hallmark versions.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »

I read tons of romance. You have to be clear on what you like and want to write because as others have said erotica and romance are two different genres.

Romance books can have steamy descriptive sex scenes but the meat of the story is about the couple getting together, feeling an emotional connection and falling in love. The sex scenes should blend into the story. You can remove all the sex scenes and the story would still be a romance story.

Recommendations are going to be about personal taste.

It is a good idea to think about what you want to read and write then search for it on Amazon or google it. For example I love music romances, second chance romance and friends to lovers. Some of those books will be clean romance, some steamy and everything in between.

Looking for steamy romance will generate a lot of books to search through. A small selection of books will be straight erotica which is miscategorized.

You could try googling and adding site:goodreads then what you want to search for e.g. heartwarming romance.

Here's a list: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/heartwarming-romance
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:54:41 AM by BellaJames »

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »
I think the word cozy is what's throwing me off. If you're just looking for romance with sex just search romance on Amazon and it'll pop up 500 pages or so, but I don't know how cozy they are.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac