Author Topic: Amazon Actions re NEW Bonus Content Limits, Amazon Taking Action (MERGED)  (Read 117772 times)  

Offline RBN

• View Profile
I didn't see this posted anywhere here yet.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202018960

"To provide an optimal customer experience, bonus content should make up no more than around 10% of your book."

Also prohibits gifts/rewards.

Now, to see if this is enforced...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:40:13 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: KDP Issues "Bonus Content" Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »
Better late than never!

I suspect that enforcement of this rule, like so many rules on Amazon, may be an on-again, off-again kind of thing, but I'm at the point where I think increasing the risk factor for potential bad actors is better than nothing. At least now, there's a clearer standard that could be enforced.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline mias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
From the "Guide to Kindle Content Quality"

"Warning: Unnecessary or confusing hyperlinks, misplaced Tables of Contents (TOCs), or the addition of disruptive content that takes readers away from the main content of your book can result in a poor customer experience. If the formatting of a book results in a poor experience or genuine reader confusion, or is designed to unnaturally inflate sales or pages read, we will take action to remove titles and protect readers. This also includes disruptive or unnecessary enticement to click on elements within TOCs. Continued addition of these types of elements in your titles could affect your account status, up to and including termination."

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
10% - that's clear. Let's see what the stuffers do now...
Stuff for writers thisaway

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
I didn't see this posted anywhere here yet.

"To provide an optimal customer experience, bonus content should make up no more than around 10% of your book."

Also prohibits gifts/rewards.

Now, to see if this is enforced...

That's a reasonable percentage. Though I doubt it's the case, it would be nice if was retroactive as well. There are enough stuffed books on Amazon to fill reading appetites for the next decade.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
Anyone want to bet on how long until we get the "but what if you're hopping on one foot" response?

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
Anyone want to bet on how long until we get the "but what if you're hopping on one foot" response?

"That obviously doesn't apply to us, because... because... well, it just doesn't!"

I'll be waiting in the corner for the stuffers to come in and spin this one.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
    • T. M. Bilderback's Website
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »

LOL

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »
I thought they'd moved on to jewelry now...

Offline Michaela Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »
"That only applies to bonus content. These 7 extra novels are 'special content,' totally different."

Or maybe some kind of special math where 10% can be bigger than 100%.

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
My guess is they'll move into sexy aliens in space-opera with ghostwriters doing the heavy lifting. Alien cuisine recipes at the back so you can make it yourself at home.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
I thought they'd moved on to jewelry now...
LOL!!! Diamonds!!!

10% - that's clear. Let's see what the stuffers do now...

This also includes disruptive or unnecessary enticement to click on elements within TOCs. Continued addition of these types of elements in your titles could affect your account status, up to and including termination.

Of course, this all depends on Amazon's interpretation and enforcement. Anyone want to lay odds that someone who innocently includes a first chapter of a new book gets slammed while a stuffer figures out a way to game the system to the tune of 2K pages per novella?

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
My guess is they'll move into sexy aliens in space-opera with ghostwriters doing the heavy lifting. Alien cuisine recipes at the back so you can make it yourself at home.

Oh, that's rich! Kudos!!!

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »
But seriously... I'd say there will be a bucket load of boxsets and anthologies so they can wring every last penny out of page reads before they're done.

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
But seriously... I'd say there will be a bucket load of boxsets and anthologies so they can wring every last penny out of page reads before they're done.

If they box six stories, can those same six stories appear in other box sets?

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
In all seriousness, a policy is only as good as its enforcement. Unless Amazon enforces this, people will continue to use bonus books.

I really hope they do enforce it. I'd love to look at the top 100 in romance and see nothing that's stuffed. But I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Dave Dykema

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
I wonder if books with be grandfathered. I'm currently reading a book where the actual novel is 50% of the experience, and the other 50% is short stories by the various authors and the last 30 or so percent is a "making of" the book.

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
    • All My Dirty Stuff At Amazon!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
Whether you like this change or not, at least we can all agree that some actual, non-vague guidelines about it are nice to have.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
I give it a day before the first post either defending stuffing, or complaining about how their 2.8KENPC book was taken down, and Amazon won't pay them their money.

There's got to be thousands of books violating these new guidelines, none of which will likely be affected in any way whatsoever, but I'm sure the algos have changed and now I can look forward to getting even less money, for doing absolutely nothing wrong.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

There's got to be thousands of books violating these new guidelines, none of which will likely be affected in any way whatsoever,

Probably not as they published before this clarification, but they'll need steel man bits to continue stuffing now that the rules are clear.

If Amazon enforces the new limit their $0.99 strategy is toast. Their books are launched with mega ad spends assuming KENP will cover costs.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »
In all seriousness, a policy is only as good as its enforcement. Unless Amazon enforces this, people will continue to use bonus books.

Here you go Crystal! So happy to oblige.

"Please note that prompt compliance with these new guidelines and policies is required to qualify for programs such as KDP Select All Stars Bonuses for the month of June and future months."

https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/article/Updates-to-KDP-Bonus-Content-and-eBook-Metadata-Guidelines?language=en

Offline X. Aratare

• View Profile
    • Raythe Reign
Amazon Limits Bonus Content in Books to No More than 10%
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
Amazon just updated their TOS with respect to bonus content (emphasis mine):

Bonus Content
If you choose to include bonus content (e.g., other stories, or previews of other books that are not part of your books title), it should be relevant to the customer and should not disrupt the reading experience. To meet these guidelines, we require placing additional content at the end of the book, and listing the bonus content in your book's table of contents.

To provide an optimal customer experience, bonus content should make up no more than around 10% of your book. If you would like to include multiple stories within your book, consider creating a collection of works. When selecting your books title, always make sure to follow the Metadata Guidelines.

Primary and bonus content must meet all program guidelines (e.g., bonus content in KDP Select titles must be exclusive). Translated content must be high quality and not machine generated. Disruptive links and promises of gifts or rewards are never allowed.

For more information, see our content guidelines and Terms and Conditions.

Also:

Hello,

To improve the shopping and reading experience for customers, weve updated our Bonus Content and eBook Metadata Guidelines.

Please ensure that the books youve published comply with the new guidelines. Please note that prompt compliance with these new guidelines and policies is required to qualify for programs such as KDP Select All Stars Bonuses for the month of June and future months.

Thank you for choosing to publish with Amazon KDP!

Best Regards,
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team

https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/article/Updates-to-KDP-Bonus-Content-and-eBook-Metadata-Guidelines?language=en
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:35:08 PM by X. Aratare »

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »
I am curious what enforcement will look like.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
Re: Amazon Limits Bonus Content in Books to No More than 10%
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 06:33:41 PM »
I think this puts an end to the 'Amazon is perfectly all right with adding 900 pages of "bonus content"' argument although it does not tell us if Amazon will actually enforce it.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac