Author Topic: YA Fantasy Books promotions- call for books  (Read 1037 times)  

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
  • Aussie Artist and Author
    • View Profile
    • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
YA Fantasy Books promotions- call for books
« on: June 04, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
A loooooong, long time ago, a group of authors from kboards put together a big promotion and I helped run the website side of it, and obtained the domain name yafantasybooks.com at the time to set it all up on.

The domain name hasn't done much since then, but I always wanted to use it somehow in a way that could help out other authors. So recently another author friend of mine, K.A. Last, and I, have been trying to turn the site into a group promotion website for Young Adult and Fantasy books. We've run a few themed promotions already and have some more planned which are open for submissions now.

There's no charge for the promos, it's a group effort style thing where everyone who lists a book helps promote the whole group. I also run facebook ads to the promotion from my own pocket and try and build the subscribers mailing list with giveaways and ads as well. Promotions are for free and 99c books.

You can see our info, terms, and upcoming promotions you can sign up for at http://yafantasybooks.com/for-authors/

Current open themes are LitRPG and Epic Fantasy

While the domain name is YA Fantasy Books, we run promos on most spec-fic genres. Books don't have to necessarily be YA genre, but should still be suitable for YA audiences in themes and content.

I hope you can join us! It's a fairly simple setup so far, and we're also interested in any ideas to grow the site in a way that is good for readers and YA Fantasy authors. Let me know if you have any comments or questions :)

PS I understand this counts as my one promotional thread for this service :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:28:10 PM by Selina Fenech »
-  
Selina Fenech | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Online horsewisevt

• Poultney, VT
    • View Profile
    • TJ Muir: Epic Fantasy
Re: YA Fantasy Books promotions- call for books
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
hi,

i am part of a small group of authors in a fb group YAFA. young adult fantasy addicts. I just shared your post, but it may be that we have common interests and goals... we should talk some more and see about future collaboration...

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:56:51 PM »
Oh nice! Bookmarking this for later! :-)
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »
Thank you!  Just signed up for epic fantasy...second from the left on my signature line. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:43:02 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »
I added voices and Evolution's :) TY!

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
Awesome guys, thank you!

i am part of a small group of authors in a fb group YAFA. young adult fantasy addicts. I just shared your post, but it may be that we have common interests and goals... we should talk some more and see about future collaboration...

I'd be happy to talk about options or ways we could collaborate. I'd love to make something really useful to the YA Fantasy reader/writer community, but just haven't worked out exactly how yet :p
-  

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
Edited my sign up form to reflect some changes.   Thank you! :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline LSMay

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »
My YA epic(ish) fantasy isn't published yet :(... Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for something that fits better :)

L S May | Website | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline ameliag

• Hello all! :D
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
Is YA urban fantasy included? I would like to sign up.

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »

Good question. I write YA UF, too.

Online horsewisevt

• Poultney, VT
    • View Profile
    • TJ Muir: Epic Fantasy
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »
Awesome guys, thank you!

I'd be happy to talk about options or ways we could collaborate. I'd love to make something really useful to the YA Fantasy reader/writer community, but just haven't worked out exactly how yet :p

Hi,

I don't know if there would be a common ground or not... I am not "the spokesperson" for the group.  I know there was talk about trying to network with bloggers etc who would be interested in reviewing books or posting interviews etc... I posted this to the sponsoring authors (main group has abt 5k members, and we have 6-8 core authors who moderate and work together collectively re promoting the group and our brand).  Maybe check out the YAFA fb group and get a feel for the community?  it's pretty active...

oh also, messaging me might work better since i don't always catch the updated threads here...;)

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »

We did an Urban Fantasy theme back in March, and I'm sure we will schedule another one again soon since it's a popular genre. If you sign up to the author mailing list you'll be notified of upcoming themes you can sign up for. :)
-  

Offline JoyMosby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 07:00:54 AM »
Just signed up and published my first YA Urban Fantasy last week! Look foreword to working with you!

Offline KALast

• View Profile
    • K. A. Last Books
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm Kim, and I'm Selina's partner in crime. We run YAFB together  ;D
I'm also new to KBoards, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing ... I'll get there though.

We have our Epic Fantasy promo coming up, but I'd also like to extend an invitation to you to submit any perma-free books you may have, for us to feature on our home page. If you're interested, please reply with a link to your book and I'll grab the info I need.

Thanks.

Offline LSMay

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:44 PM »
I got an email today and it looks like there are a lot of great promos coming up. A couple things weren't clear (or maybe I just missed them):

1) I'm assuming no Countdown deals for 99c books (given timezone for promos is Australia, and they can't access access Countdown deals in Australia.) Can anyone confirm?

2) Is it okay to have multiple entries per author in the same promo? (I submitted two books for the Halloween one, and it let me do it, but I'm happy to withdraw one if there are rules against this.)

3) A lot of similar promos have a 'reminder' email about pricing about a week before - will there be an email for this, or should I set my own reminders?

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 03:55:45 AM »
1) I'm assuming no Countdown deals for 99c books (given timezone for promos is Australia, and they can't access access Countdown deals in Australia.) Can anyone confirm?

2) Is it okay to have multiple entries per author in the same promo? (I submitted two books for the Halloween one, and it let me do it, but I'm happy to withdraw one if there are rules against this.)

3) A lot of similar promos have a 'reminder' email about pricing about a week before - will there be an email for this, or should I set my own reminders?

1) We aren't particularly targeting Australian readers, and also, so far, fingers crossed, Aussies are still able to buy ebooks from amazon.com (just geoblocked from physical products). I'm not 100% familiar with how countdown deals work though as I've never used them (gasp, right?). As long as it can be the sale price for the three days of the promotion I think it's okay. I'll look into it some more...

2) Feel free to submit multiple books. Depending on how many submissions we get we might not use them all.

3) Yes we send out a reminder email before the promotion :)
-  

Offline LSMay

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
1) We aren't particularly targeting Australian readers, and also, so far, fingers crossed, Aussies are still able to buy ebooks from amazon.com (just geoblocked from physical products). I'm not 100% familiar with how countdown deals work though as I've never used them (gasp, right?). As long as it can be the sale price for the three days of the promotion I think it's okay. I'll look into it some more...

2) Feel free to submit multiple books. Depending on how many submissions we get we might not use them all.

3) Yes we send out a reminder email before the promotion :)

Thanks for the replies - on 1, Countdown deals mean the book is only be discounted in the US and the UK at most... the advantage is the author gets 70% royalty for 99c instead of 35%, but I've been in other promos that have forbidden them because they want the price to be reduced worldwide to not disappoint readers. Sounds like we want the price to be reduced worldwide, so I'll just drop the price the usual way :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:46:35 PM by LSMay »

Online AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »
I have a YA book where the climax happens on the 'Night of Hallowmas', which is clearly based on Halloween. Is that Halloweenie enough to include? (There are monsters and supernatural beings elsewhere in the book too.)

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
I have a YA book where the climax happens on the 'Night of Hallowmas', which is clearly based on Halloween. Is that Halloweenie enough to include? (There are monsters and supernatural beings elsewhere in the book too.)

Sounds good to me :)
-  

Online AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 01:49:47 AM »
Sounds good to me :)

Thank you...will put it in!

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb