Author Topic: Kindle Paperwhite books can't be removed  (Read 350 times)  

Offline Jasnick

• View Profile
Kindle Paperwhite books can't be removed
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:45:38 AM »
My husband's kindle will not allow him to "remove from device".  I tried it myself and nothing happens when I press Remove from Device.  Apart from that, everything works well.
Is this something that can be fixed?
Thanks

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Paperwhite books can't be removed
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »
This is not an issue I've seen on any kindle I've ever owned.

That said, sometimes it takes a minute or so for the book to actually go away. I always figured it was a function of how many books and collections were there. I generally see the most delay when moving in and out of collections.

A couple of things to try:

First, make sure you're showing 'downloaded' vs 'all'. When it says downloaded, the book no longer shows. When it says 'all', it will still show as it's not gone from your library, just not on that device. Books that ARE on the device have a check mark in a circle over on the right side. I mention this because I have, on occasion, had the thought, "hey, I thought I removed that book?" and then I realized that I was looking at my whole library vs just what was on that kindle. :)

Sometimes glitches can just be due to the wireless. You might try toggling wireless off and then on again. Or even forgetting your wifi network and re-entering the credentials.

Sometimes de-registering it and then re-registering it works, too. This should not affect any of the content on the device as long as the re-registering is to the same account. But it will sort of 'reset' what should and shouldn't be on that one.

A restart of the device might be in order to clear out any stray bits and bytes. Go to settings, then the menu, and one of the options will be restart. That will turn the device off and then re-boot it.

The 'nuclear option' is to do a full reset to factory conditions -- that will remove all your content and any personalization. i'd only try this if the device was really acting flaky.

Hope that helps. And welcome to kboards! :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jasnick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 05:06:30 AM »
Thank you Ann

Doing a restart now. 

I used to belong to the forum I think was on the actual Amazon site but it appears to be gone now.

Just finished the restart and the removal is now working.

So thank you for that!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:29:26 AM »
Glad something worked. :)

Yeah, I think Amazon shut down those customer forums a few years ago. Bit too much of a free-for-all atmosphere, I think, and they didn't want to provide the manpower to keep things controlled.

Feel free to browse around here. There are areas for talking about kindles and Fires, as well as books. There's a board where independent authors promote their work and a whole board where they discuss all the writing/publishing/promotion process and other topics of interest to authors.

Enjoy!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR