NetGalley

Author Topic: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...  (Read 6703 times)  

Offline ameliag

• Hello all! :D
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »
I would like to be a bestselling author.
But the amount of energy I have to put in is too much.
And if I were to become one for real, it takes TWICE the amount to keep it.

Offline PenNPaper

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
I am occasionally a best seller, but I am always profitable. That I care about. Best seller status? Not so much. Being profitable isn't that difficult but you do have to be able to write books people want to keep reading. That's the hardest part, really.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:17:00 PM by PenNPaper »

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
    • View Profile
    • The Science Fiction of Rick Partlow
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
I've had bestselling books for periods of time.  What keeps me from being a bestselling author all the time is lack of expertise in marketing.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
Someone else getting ready to sell us something. Let me guess your course costs $700?

Online kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Someone else getting ready to sell us something. Let me guess your course costs $700?

This would be a fairly terrible crew to try and sell something like that to considering most of us have articulated quite well why we don't sell, meaning, it's not a mystery to any of us. From what I've read here, we know exactly what we'd have to do to change our fortunes. I don't know, maybe the OP was expecting a thread full of confusion and "I don't knows", but that ain't the kboards crowd. Pretty savvy bunch around here. ;D

Ken Ward

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
The biggest reason is time! I barely get through my day and have zip extra time. When I do have a minute, I write. But I do very little promotional stuff. I did go wide in Jan. and made my 1st in series free. That bumped my income to $100-150 a month. Since I love my other business, I don't stress over it too much. Would I like to sell more? Of course! But maybe this is more for when I slow down at work over the next few years.

Offline BestsellerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »
This would be a fairly terrible crew to try and sell something like that to considering most of us have articulated quite well why we don't sell, meaning, it's not a mystery to any of us. From what I've read here, we know exactly what we'd have to do to change our fortunes. I don't know, maybe the OP was expecting a thread full of confusion and "I don't knows", but that ain't the kboards crowd. Pretty savvy bunch around here. ;D

I think the OP was simply asking an honest straight up question. And that is all.

You see, sometimes, well, actually most of the time, things really are just as they seem. No hidden agendas. No mystery to unravel. Just someone asking a good question.

Online Ted Cross

• Nassau, Bahamas
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »
It's really hard to get your ideal audience to know you even exist. I mean, I have a novel that is an homage to D&D, and it has terrific reviews, but when I write to admins of D&D groups on Facebook to see if they might like a free copy, and if they enjoy it maybe let their members know about it, they just blow me off. They are supposed to love D&D and they won't even take a moment to check such a book out. I tried targeted ads to Cyberpunk on FB and something went wrong (FB started charging me $5 per click even though I had chosen a much smaller per click cost) so I gave that up. Yeah, so to me that's it--it's super hard to let your intended audience know you have something they would probably enjoy.

Luck can play a part. A prominent production company contacted me about securing film/tv rights for my cyberpunk novel. Whether that pans out or not remains to be seen, but something like that could do wonders for a book.

And I write a bit too slow due to my career, and I don't yet write in series, just stand alones set within the same universe, so none of that helps. I hope to retire soon so I can write faster. I don't count getting to 'bestseller' status due to Bookbub ads, because most manage to do that. Still, it was nice to see one of my books at the top of the rankings for three days on Amazon. Just wish I had the name recognition to remain there longer and without the need for Bookbub.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:40:09 AM by Ted Cross »

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
I've had books that have been, often fairly briefly, bestsellers.

Thanks to a Bookbub deal, my Casanova translation climbed so high that it brushed the face of God. None of my other books have reached those lofty heights.

This tells me three things.

1) I don't have a "name" that brings in readers. My Casanova translation is my biggest seller, because the biggest name on the cover is Giacomo Casanova, not Andrew K. Lawston. Casanova's probably the only reason I got the BookBub in the first place.

2) I don't market my books very well. When I used the BookBub magic bullet, I got great results, as I did with a few other sustained advertising campaigns around new releases, etc, most notably my second short story collection, Something Nicer.

3) I don't publish fast enough. I published my first short story collection in April 2012. That's just over six years ago and in that time I've produced two short story collections (25K each), three translated novel length works (c. 60K each), three novellas (12-30K), a non-fiction book (25K), and my first novel (40K) just this month. That's not including a few, ah, 5,000ish word pieces of fiction that may have been published under different names (IYKWIM). Bluntly, that's not bestseller output, it's hobbyist output. I'm very relaxed about that. In the meantime I've contributed countless short stories and even novellas to anthologies, I've written and directed a play, I've acted professionally, started a new day job, moved house, and I got married - all since April 2012. So it's not like I'm not making productive use of my time, but I also have to face the harsh reality that I'm not going to make any headway commercially unless or until I just settle down and write stuff faster.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »

You see, sometimes, well, actually most of the time, things really are just as they seem. No hidden agendas. No mystery to unravel. Just someone asking a good question.

This is why I don't write non-fiction... :P
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
I don't sell enough books.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:20:24 AM by munboy »

Online Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2018, 09:26:56 AM »
It's really hard to get your ideal audience to know you even exist. I mean, I have a novel that is an homage to D&D, and it has terrific reviews, but when I write to admins of D&D groups on Facebook to see if they might like a free copy, and if they enjoy it maybe let their members know about it, they just blow me off. They are supposed to love D&D and they won't even take a moment to check such a book out. I tried targeted ads to Cyberpunk on FB and something went wrong (FB started charging me $5 per click even though I had chosen a much smaller per click cost) so I gave that up. Yeah, so to me that's it--it's super hard to let your intended audience know you have something they would probably enjoy.

Luck can play a part. A prominent production company contacted me about securing film/tv rights for my cyberpunk novel. Whether that pans out or not remains to be seen, but something like that could do wonders for a book.

And I write a bit too slow due to my career, and I don't yet write in series, just stand alones set within the same universe, so none of that helps. I hope to retire soon so I can write faster. I don't count getting to 'bestseller' status due to Bookbub ads, because most manage to do that. Still, it was nice to see one of my books at the top of the rankings for three days on Amazon. Just wish I had the name recognition to remain there longer and without the need for Bookbub.

I got the same response from the mods of all the D&D and RPG groups I've belonged to for years on Facebook as well.  I have no idea how to find the right readers through advertising. It's very frustrating when you know you have the sort of thing certain readers would want, but you can't figure out how to locate them.
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Online Ted Cross

• Nassau, Bahamas
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
I got the same response from the mods of all the D&D and RPG groups I've belonged to for years on Facebook as well.  I have no idea how to find the right readers through advertising. It's very frustrating when you know you have the sort of thing certain readers would want, but you can't figure out how to locate them.

I know, and I'm not the type to just post about my book directly on their FB feeds. To me that is rude. So I politely ask them instead, figuring they should actually WANT to check out my book in case it's exactly what they would love. But no.

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Online kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
I think the OP was simply asking an honest straight up question. And that is all.

Not questioning your motives, OP. Simply replying to someone else who had.

Ken Ward

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »

Your best bet is going through the gaming reviewers for your genre on Youtube or Twitch.. If they recommend one of your books then it turns into a must have and they DO advertise products.. its pretty much how they make their living.

Offline Kathryn Meyer Griffith

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »
Yes. Pandorra....That sign about WARNING  WRITER AT WORK is dead on! THIS IS WHY I am no Stephen King. I've told my husband many times that if I had been born a man writer I would probably be real famous after 46 years of writing and 27 novels. But I was born a woman and always had to take care of the kids, clean the house, wash the clothes, bake, hold down a full-time job because I had to pay the bills, and do the shopping....and squeeze in my writing only when all those chores were done! AND PEOPLE NEVER LEFT ME ALONE! Dropping by all the time and interrupting my writing. They never though it was that important. "Oh, you can take some time off to have coffee, chat, whatever..." I used to get so mad. In fact, I just told my hubby last week that I NEED a writing room, shed, closet, with a steel door and a BIG LOCK on it, ha ha, so people would stop bothering me! I've learned one thing as a long time writer...people and life always get in the way.

Kathryn Meyer Griffith horror/thriller/murder mystery author since 1984; 27 novels,12 short stories
Kathryn Meyer Griffith | Facebook | Author\\\\\\\'s Den | Good Reads | My website | Author Central | Amazon-author | Gravata | Amazon

Online Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »

Your best bet is going through the gaming reviewers for your genre on Youtube or Twitch.. If they recommend one of your books then it turns into a must have and they DO advertise products.. its pretty much how they make their living.

I have no idea how I would go about doing that. I don't know what Twitch is, and don't use YouTube for anything except watching tutorials or the occasional 80's music video when nostalgia hits.  ;D
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Online Rose Andrews

• Washington State, U.S.A.
  • Vintage Love <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
Yes. Pandorra....That sign about WARNING  WRITER AT WORK is dead on! THIS IS WHY I am no Stephen King. I've told my husband many times that if I had been born a man writer I would probably be real famous after 46 years of writing and 27 novels. But I was born a woman and always had to take care of the kids, clean the house, wash the clothes, bake, hold down a full-time job because I had to pay the bills, and do the shopping....and squeeze in my writing only when all those chores were done! AND PEOPLE NEVER LEFT ME ALONE! Dropping by all the time and interrupting my writing. They never though it was that important. "Oh, you can take some time off to have coffee, chat, whatever..." I used to get so mad. In fact, I just told my hubby last week that I NEED a writing room, shed, closet, with a steel door and a BIG LOCK on it, ha ha, so people would stop bothering me! I've learned one thing as a long time writer...people and life always get in the way.
Omg YES. This is so highly frustrating. Today is one of those days when I'm constantly getting interrupted. But I put my foot down and regulated. Hopefully the rest of the day will go quietly.  >:(

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest

Online Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
It's really hard to get your ideal audience to know you even exist. I mean, I have a novel that is an homage to D&D, and it has terrific reviews, but when I write to admins of D&D groups on Facebook to see if they might like a free copy, and if they enjoy it maybe let their members know about it, they just blow me off.

Maybe because you are the 30th person THAT DAY asking them to review. Heck, I'm a publisher and I get a dozen requests from random people on Facebook every week asking to to review something. If you want to get traction in a Facebook group JOIN THE GROUP and be part of the group. People get really frustrated with the high volume of spam requests for reviews from people who aren't part of their community.

The single biggest problem most admins have for groups is dealing with people who only post to sell/promote. If you want to to get involved in a group, you need to be an active part of the group and show that you care about the group, not just promoting yourself.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
I have no idea how I would go about doing that. I don't know what Twitch is, and don't use YouTube for anything except watching tutorials or the occasional 80's music video when nostalgia hits.  ;D

Those covers Lilly, I love them!!

As for the gamers and youtube lol how did you write about rpg litrpg and games if you don't wade in those waters?  ;)  Just go in and look up d&d groups or a game in that genre or whatever and see who the popular kids are then message them about doing some promotions for you.. they aren't shy, if they don't think its a match they will say so or ignore it.. just be sure you have all your p's & q's in the right place these guys like their gaming stuff.. Julie is also right, if you don't participate in the FB groups it isn't quite fair for you to spam them .. I have a hard time finding time for all of mine but if I don't have time to be social, I don't advertise in them either.. I also limit them so I am not all over the place.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:46:42 PM by Pandorra »

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »

OMG Yes, my mom starts it about 5:30 am - to call and tell me about her dogs bowel habits..(She has four of them mudders) :o   
From there it just gets worse, some day I may list my schedule for a good laugh!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:51:37 PM by Pandorra »

Online Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »
Well, (1) I'm a mediocre writer who hit a niche that has just enough readers in it to keep me fed but certainly not enough to ever propel me to bestseller status, (2) my creative genius is underappreciated, (3) I'm not dead yet.

Pick one. It's multiple choice day.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
Well, (1) I'm a mediocre writer who hit a niche that has just enough readers in it to keep me fed but certainly not enough to ever propel me to bestseller status.

This is me. Also the person above who said it was too much effort. That too.

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
This is me. Also the person above who said it was too much effort. That too.

As a fellow lazy person, I'd high-five you but that takes too much energy. I'm saving my energy so I can lift a wine glass later.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »

I am a best seller. I am selling the best I can under the circumstances. The circumstances being that I haven't published a new book in over six months and it's amazing when I make any sales at all. I also never advertise. And I am super duper pooper scooper lazy. But I am working on TUOK, sloooooooowly, and once I finish and publish those in about 70 years or so, I shall be a best seller, then, too.  :P