Author Topic: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...  (Read 7278 times)  

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
Re: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »
The single biggest problem most admins have for groups is dealing with people who only post to sell/promote. If you want to to get involved in a group, you need to be an active part of the group and show that you care about the group, not just promoting yourself.

Very true.  It's easy to hit and run with promotions...it takes more time to stop and chat.  Not all groups encourage this, but it makes a big difference for readers. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline TDNewton

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • TDNewton.net
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »
Nearly ever person who reads my first novel, A Thousand Tiny Failures, says they read it in one or two sittings, and loved it. They ask why it isn't published, a major best seller, why I'm not famous and selling loads of copies. I tell them it's because I suck at marketing. I spend 2-4 years writing a book, and very little time promoting it.

This is what I dreamed the traditional avenue could do for me.

With that novel I had interest from multiple agents, but they were unable to sell it to a publisher. I still believe that with the right social proof, it could be a big hit. I really believe that. But I've just been working on my new novel for the last few years, and not marketing the last book.

Honestly, I wish I had a team to help me with this. Marketing just isn't my forte.

I don't know if one of my books will ever be a "hit" and go viral, or I'll be "discovered" one day. Both of which are doubtful. Maybe if I developed a deep passion for networking and marketing and hype building and mailing lists and virtual book tours and competitions....

Blech.

I just want to write.

So maybe when I'm dead, the world will discover my genius...says all the self-published, unknown authors...ever.

T.D. Newton | My Blog

Offline chrisanthemum7

• Hurst, TX
    • View Profile
    • C.L. Donley Books
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2018, 06:35:09 PM »
No advice, just wanted to say I like your covers.

thanks!! me too ;)

"So believe when I say I'm no better than you/except when I rap then I guess it ain't true"--Beastie Boys

Offline Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:32 PM »

Those covers Lilly, I love them!!

As for the gamers and youtube lol how did you write about rpg litrpg and games if you don't wade in those waters?  ;)  Just go in and look up d&d groups or a game in that genre or whatever and see who the popular kids are then message them about doing some promotions for you.. they aren't shy, if they don't think its a match they will say so or ignore it.. just be sure you have all your p's & q's in the right place these guys like their gaming stuff.. Julie is also right, if you don't participate in the FB groups it isn't quite fair for you to spam them .. I have a hard time finding time for all of mine but if I don't have time to be social, I don't advertise in them either.. I also limit them so I am not all over the place.

LOL, I waded those waters longer than most of the Youtubers have been alive more than likely, I just don't wade them much anymore. Almost all of my gaming friends (actually thinking about it, most of my friends, period) are dead now, and although I loved computer games like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, the original Warcrafts, Starcrafts, WoW, LOTRO, etc., they aren't quite the same as the pen & paper games, so I haven't played in a couple of years. And for the past year or so, pretty much all my spare time has been eaten up by writing and learning all the ins and outs of self-pubbing.

That being said, I've been a member of the groups for 5 or 6 years maybe? Certainly longer than I've been writing, and I do participate in the groups, so I'm not just some rando spamming them to review a book. But the mods are very strict about sticking to the subject of whichever game(s) the group is about, so the books don't come up in casual chat in the messages, and I'm not going to just throw links up in a group without clearing it with the mods first. And the books aren't really LitRpg, they are just based on the notes from a wonderful 15-year long campaign my husband ran back before he got burnt out of GMing and moved on the computer rpg's. Anyone who's ever played is going to be able to figure out someone leveled up or found a ring of fire-resistance or whatever, but the characters themselves don't think, "Hmm, I feel like my backstab will do x4 damage now instead of x3," or anything like that.

But I'll keep working on figuring it out. If nothing else, going through all the notes and characters sheets was a nice trip down memory lane with some old friends who aren't with us anymore, and now some of their funny lines and creative quest-solving are immortalized in print. I'll check out some gaming stuff on Youtube as I get time, and maybe I'll have some luck there if I can work up the nerve to ask any of them about it.
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Offline Ryn Shell

• View Profile
    • Ryn Shell books
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2018, 11:59:58 PM »
I am and I'm not, depending on which books and in what market you speak, and what my goals are within that market.

Several publications in my real name have been in constant reprint since the 1970s. I don't need to work for an income now, so I work for the joy of it. Book rankings mean zilch to me. I tend to forget about the best-sellers I wrote in my Kathy ... name, as I turned the ongoing royalties over to charity. I'm at a stage of simplifying my life. My current creative goals have 'work ethics and professional excellence,' but not 'best seller' in the descriptions.

When I moved thirty-two books from Pronoun to Draft2Digital, last November, Amazon didn't bring the reviews across with the change, so I ceased promoting my books, other than "Direct from Author," where the sales figure numbers are not made public. I kept my books available with the online distributors, but my focus is not in promoting distributors. To do that means that you need to break away from concerns about the distributor ranking numbers and work directly with your readers. Besides, I'm moving from ebooks to video. I've downplayed the earning aspect there, as I still have so much to learn. I'm focusing on having fun, and taking pride in what I do achieve creatively, and rejoicing that that's possible in the senior years, especially when you did write best sellers in your youth.  :)

Offline ZanaHart

• View Profile
    • Zana Hart: Memoirs and Cozy Mysteries
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
I did get off to a decent start with my cozy mysteries but they bored me so I wrapped them up as a trilogy. Now I am writing my memoirs and the first two just went up and aren't doing much. But I think when I publish my next memoir, about being an LSD research subject back in the 60s, I may have a combination of what I want to write about and what readers want to read.

ZanaHart

Offline KSRuff

• United States
    • View Profile
    • ksruff.com
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2018, 06:36:39 AM »
Yes. Pandorra....That sign about WARNING  WRITER AT WORK is dead on! THIS IS WHY I am no Stephen King. I've told my husband many times that if I had been born a man writer I would probably be real famous after 46 years of writing and 27 novels. But I was born a woman and always had to take care of the kids, clean the house, wash the clothes, bake, hold down a full-time job because I had to pay the bills, and do the shopping....and squeeze in my writing only when all those chores were done! AND PEOPLE NEVER LEFT ME ALONE! Dropping by all the time and interrupting my writing. They never though it was that important. "Oh, you can take some time off to have coffee, chat, whatever..." I used to get so mad. In fact, I just told my hubby last week that I NEED a writing room, shed, closet, with a steel door and a BIG LOCK on it, ha ha, so people would stop bothering me! I've learned one thing as a long time writer...people and life always get in the way.

Yep. This. EXACTLY this.

... for anyone who has ever been broken
K.S. Ruff | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Kay Camden

• Midwestern USA
    • View Profile
    • kaycamden.com
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
As soon as I get my trademark for "alignment" my sales are gonna KILL the fantasy romance bestseller list. It's the only thing holding me back.
Twisty plots with smart heroines, haunted heroes, ancient feuds, forbidden love, magic, and revenge.
Kay Camden | kaycamden.com

Offline Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
As soon as I get my trademark for "alignment" my sales are gonna KILL the fantasy romance bestseller list. It's the only thing holding me back.

LOL! Cut the ballast and fly to the top!
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Offline garygibson

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gary Gibson
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2018, 07:48:25 PM »
Q. Why am I not a best-selling author?
A. I don't sell enough copies of my books.

I don't have enough time or money to invest in a real push, and I write in a fairly niche market anyway. The 'Zon doesn't even have a DieselPulp category that I can find.

Try dieselpunk instead.

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:40 AM »
Well, selling enough books to support your lifestyle, bills, rent, etc...

The type of author that readers just can't wait for them to release a new book and as soon as you do it sells on its own with no marketing.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Offline C Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2018, 07:18:56 AM »
Why am I not a best selling author?  :)

Well, I used to be. In maybe March - June 2015 I was a Kindle Allstar. Then KU2 hit and killed 75 percent of my income. I was able to keep myself afloat until November 2017. In my darkest onset, my mind is a neverending reel playing back the months after KU2 hit wishing I'd worked harder to salvage what I had. I was working hard, arguably. But I wasn't working at my best. And basically my best was the minimum I think to survive the nuke.

Now I've switched genres from romance to thriller, and I'm still a brand new baby on the brink of giving it my all. Will I make a living at this, like before? Will things turn around for me?

My best work has attracted intense hatred more than love judging by reviews, so my guess would be no. There's still a chance it clicks for me when I have everything in place. But at the moment a part of me is trying to account for a life amounting to defeat.

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »

But at the moment a part of me is trying to account for a life amounting to defeat.

I wish I could get this across to people. It's not defeat. And it's not your whole life! It's just one tiny part of it: writing. You did something few writers do. Only a couple thousand can be making a living at it at any given time. More people are always trying to be one of those. But you? You DID it. To expect it to last forever is perhaps human but mostly naive.

Luck happens. It happens both ways. Almost no one gets King or Rowling or Patterson's long-term experience. A lot of best sellers that were critically reviewed well were never followed up by a career. People get major hollywood movies made of their books and two books later, debut at #600,000 at Amazon and never climb up from there. That's a normal writing life. It has been my entire life, and it always will be.

Again, my advice is always "write what you love, and then if you never hit FT status, or if you do and you lose it, you'll still have writing and its joys."

Offline C Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
I wish I could get this across to people. It's not defeat. And it's not your whole life! It's just one tiny part of it: writing. You did something few writers do. Only a couple thousand can be making a living at it at any given time. More people are always trying to be one of those. But you? You DID it. To expect it to last forever is perhaps human but mostly naive.

Luck happens. It happens both ways. Almost no one gets King or Rowling or Patterson's long-term experience. A lot of best sellers that were critically reviewed well were never followed up by a career. People get major hollywood movies made of their books and two books later, debut at #600,000 at Amazon and never climb up from there. That's a normal writing life. It has been my entire life, and it always will be.

Again, my advice is always "write what you love, and then if you never hit FT status, or if you do and you lose it, you'll still have writing and its joys."

It's not really one tiny part. I have no social friends outside of family and some acquaintances. I don't have a spouse. I completed year 12 but that's as far as my education goes. I have part time employment, cleaning toilets (among other things) but little potential to pursue any other field. Yes, I can look back at my two or 3 years of success and feel proud, but also feel like a tourist, an accidental success. I am not without hope. And giving up romance as a genre, opens me to explore my creativity in ways I couldn't before regardless of sales.

But the likelihood of catching the lightning bolt again I would think is pretty low. I want to believe I need to be older to write better, so there's that. It's like I have to anticipate defeat because it is the most realistic outcome, and I don't want to be attached to my optimism so I will be disappointed and hurt when it doesn't work out. Strength is seeing yourself fail and not being affected by it.

Offline HeyImBen

• Acworth, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Online Scrabble, dammit.

Online SND

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2018, 10:07:30 AM »
Why am I not a bestselling author?

Maybe you should ask all the people who haven't bought my book  :)

Offline Lorna_Reid

• Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2018, 11:12:01 AM »
Probably because I don't and won't write vampire fiction ;p

Other than that, depression, family, stress, anxious-scattergun approach to marketing, panicing, overthinking, slow releases, being interrupted constantly during the rare 'me time' I get, rarely getting any me time', having a financial sword of Damocles hanging over us, guilt, and so on and so on.
Lorna Reid | Website | Buy Books

Offline DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2018, 12:39:42 PM »
Try dieselpunk instead.

There's no "dieselpunk" either-- I have the keyword but the closest I get category-wise is Steampunk.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter

Offline Splunge

• barbaric yawp
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
I mainly write for kids.

Offline P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
I wonder, of the writers that hit it big-ish and stayed there, how many did so without semi-regular bookbub features, or even one? Not sour grapes, just curious. If the number is quite high, that tells us to keep working on our brand (cover, price, blurb, style, genre), on the other hand, if the number is low, maybe our brand isn't the problem (lol, although it could still be).
Carnival of Sighs: Palimpsest, Book 5: 50%

120 BPM: Pirate Radio: 30%

120 BPM: Factions: 80%
P.J. Post | Facebook | Website | Goodreads | Short Fiction Writers Guild

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
There's no "dieselpunk" either-- I have the keyword but the closest I get category-wise is Steampunk.

There is a "pulp" category under thrillers, which is where my pulpy Silencer series resides. Men's adventure is another possibility. Though your books seem to have more fantastic elements, so men's adventure and thrillers --> pulp probably don't fit so well.

Cora Buhlert | Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram | [url=http://www.pint

Offline Ruairi

• Colorado
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom."
    • View Profile
    • Ruair Cinad Duncatlin
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »
1) I don't write in standard, top-selling genres.
2) I don't push "product" out the door and onto Amazon like an assembly line.
3) I write in a couple different genres, and rotate among them.
4) Don't have a mailing list.
5) I don't spend a lot of money on marketing (dotted line to #1 and #3).
6) Other things I can't think of right now.

This list resonated with me in a different way...

1) I write in common genres but my style is unique.   My phrasing is not for everyone.  I intentionally write spoken word and ignore grammar.
2) I write quickly and could be "assembly line" but I like the idea of proofing and re-writes making the prose more intelligible.
3) I just expanded into a second genre... too early to tell the impact.
4) Don't have a mailing list and probably will not create one.  (DO NOT spam me about the value of constant contact.)  :D
5) I am still learning the marketing, blurb, and AD copy realms of this avocation.
6) Other things I can't think of right now: Patience.  I have none.  Therefore, my expectations distort my reality.    :o

A lot of research into "the writer's process" taught me three things that are immutable:

A) Write what makes you happy.  Period.  End of discussion.
B) Re-write what makes you happy.   Period.  End of discussion.
C) Return to item A.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Ruairi Cinead Ducantlin