Author Topic: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...  (Read 6641 times)  

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2018, 07:08:29 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that someone is taking notes here.  Maybe a list of "what not to do in order to be successful in writing"??    ::)    ::)    ::)
Jena

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I think the major reason is that I don't sell enough books.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that someone is taking notes here.  Maybe a list of "what not to do in order to be successful in writing"??    ::)    ::)    ::)

My Spidey senses have been tingling for a couple of days now, since that other thread ...

Alex A. King | Website

Offline JoyMosby

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
For starters, I don't do any advertising. Nada. Haven't spent a dime on ads nor have I spent any time or money on promos of any kind. Couple that with my inability to finish most stories I start, my total lack of patience to write longer works and my general "Dude"-level of laziness, excuses and procrastination and you have the near-perfect recipe for un-success. I'd teach a course in it, but that would require actual effort.  8)

I am with you, although I do spend some money on advertising.

That being said, after I released my first book I read the 'best sellers' in my genre and I was like you're kidding me. . .(I may not make any friends by saying that but it is how I felt about their books).

Then I read one of those free books on how to market your book to become a best seller on Amazon, it comes down to spending tons of money on advertising. You still need a good cover and blurb, but advertising seems to be the only way, but it all added up in my mind.

Of course I want to be a best seller, it is a life goal but I want it to be because I wrote an awesome book not because I spent thousands on advertising. (The fair tale)

mawnster

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »

And why not?

Before I was best-selling, I wasn't writing to market and I wasn't doing social media or advertising.

Now I do all three of those things, work as hard as I can, and I'm in the 5 figure a month zone. Before I barely made enough to pay my rent.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
Someone voodoo cursed my netbook. BOOGAH BOOGAH BOOGAH!

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Ashelia

• View Profile
    • All-Seeing Books
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:11 AM »
Why aren't you a bestselling author? What do you think is stopping or holding you back?

I followed poor advice e.g. don't advertise, just publish more work. I kept following poor advice for many years even though it wasn't working. I followed people who aren't successful. I wasn't selling, so I stopped writing. Less writing meant less publishing, so sales dropped. Some pen names sell 0 books every month or year. Yes, 0.

Right now, chronic body pain is holding me back from my best work output. Mental health issues mean I don't have a regular income, so my publishing budget is tiny. Sometimes I wonder if there's any point. I could make lots of changes and go nowhere. There's also resentment towards my past self for making dumb publishing decisions. I wish I could turn back time...

What are your plans and action steps towards making yourself a bestselling author? Or maybe you are hoping someone can help you out with the right advice to help you to become a bestselling author?

Go through each of my books and pen names.

Change story plots. Rewrite or delete books.

Change titles, covers, blurbs and formatting.

Change pricing and advertise.

Increase mailing list signups.

Write and publish more books.

Continue until the day I die.

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
Are you going to buy five copies for your mother?

But of course, she's my biggest *cough* only *cough* fan.

Thanks for the ear worm :)

No prob. Ear worms are my specialty.

...you can dance, you can jive
having the time of your life, ooooh
see that girl, watch that scene...

;D

I could be one of your guest speakers.  ;)

It'd be the laziest seminar ever. All the guest speakers would lay on recliners in their robes, getting foot massages.

What do they say? Opportunity is often missed because when it comes knocking, it looks like hard work. I'm one of those that, when I hear the knocking, I whisper loudly, "Everyone be quiet and they'll go away."

Can't tell you how many times I've threatened to call the cops on Opportunity. I never do it though...again, that whole effort thing.

Ken Ward

Offline rcullison

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
I don't know how to sell my book.

I get a few sales, then nothing for a while. I watch my rank go pfffthhbt.

I've only officially been "at it" for a few months, so I feel time is on my side. But ad copy? Blurb? Cover? Heck, maybe I'm just plain wrong about what genre I should be selling it in. This tree might be full of squirrels, but maybe they want chestnuts, not acorns, and I'm barking myself hoarse.

Russell Cullison | blog | goodreads

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »
This tree might be full of squirrels, but maybe they want chestnuts, not acorns, and I'm barking myself hoarse.

Oh man, you just had to say the word that indicates why I probably won't become a best selling author.

The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 100%

City of Time: 29%

Brownies & Bullets: 20%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\\\\\'s blog | My artist\\\\\\\'s blog

Offline chrisanthemum7

• Hurst, TX
    • View Profile
    • C.L. Donley Books
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, and man did I need this thread right now.

I started this whole process last December, when I wrote my first book. I joined the Mark Dawson class, I did all the things, and everything was going good and then... everything just stopped, basically. It's really left me confused. Right now I'm messing with variables that probably shouldn't be messed with, trying to get this momentum back, that I don't even really know how it happened now, because with virtually everything slowing down, I got no idea what really started it in the first place then.

In my mind I know I just need to take a moment to step away from social media, from my stats and rank and sales email subscribers and email, go back to writing and just chill out. People are allowed to not see their email for a day or two, or decide not to buy at this moment, or download the book and not read it just yet. But it's hard when I've basically bet my livelihood on this working.

At any rate, it's good to know other people are finding the whole thing just as indecipherable. I'm pretty competent in every area that self-publishing requires and honestly, there's no accounting for the mysterious elixir that draws the crowd. It usually boils down to something dumb/foreign that you'd rather not do, and in your mind you're like, "no. NO. that can't possibly be what I have to do..."

P.S. if someone decides to reply to me with advice, just know that will break me in this moment, so please do not do that. Or do so, at your peril.

"So believe when I say I'm no better than you/except when I rap then I guess it ain't true"--Beastie Boys

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
Ahhhhh ok. I see.

So basically, to make an example, you are saying that you are running a Pizzaria in a town that prefers Hamburgers?

And even after knowing that information, you are still going to press forward with making Pizza? Even if very few people buy?

Am I correct?

I'd say it's more like I'm bringing a different type of hamburger to a town that prefers beef hamburgers with white buns. I'm bringing lettuce wrap vegan burgers, in a sense.

And yes, but see the thing is. A lot of people think your customer base is "finite" when it's not. I've been in business a long time. Not being an author, being a business person. And when you're in business you can do two things: 1. Do what everyone else is doing and HOPE that people buy yours instead; or 2. See what everyone else is doing and do something slightly different.

For a real world example. I used to make dog collars. Dime a dozen, right? Sure. Instead of making basic cotton/nylon collars I made: 100% cotton (with cotton thread) dog collars with sometimes custom prints. And I had a wedding dog collar collection of made-to-size collars/harnesses/leashes made from 100% silk. They weren't cheap. But I sold them-- and I sold them A LOT. I upgraded the "hamburger" to something I enjoyed making and then waited for people to come and try the hamburger, for people to tell their friends about the new fancy hamburger. Oh, and I made sure my hamburgers were GUD.

For writing? I write gay romance. But not just any gay romance. I write gay romance almost exclusively starring POC or "multicultural" people (depending on the story). I don't write my bottoms as "twinks" and I don't write "alpha males". I don't generally include a lot of BDSM (because not every gay person practices BDSM), and I don't always write a "slot A in tab B" sex scene. Perhaps newsflash to everyone not gay, gay people don't have to have intercourse to have sex. So, I write that.

There's not a lot of that in the market, but y'know, if someone is looking for a different type of hamburger, they can come my way. I'll be happy writing what I enjoy and making money. And in the end, I've found, you make more money when you're happier with what you're doing.

Offline Fay

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
Because you have to see a book to be able to buy it, and mine is pretty well invisible (well, except today when it's free on Amazon, so it's theoretically a best seller on the free list that probably no one sees!)  8)
When Hamburgers Fly by Fay Rye Castle

Online Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
I don't write best-seller type books (though I'm planning to start) and I don't release them often enough.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
"bestselling" was never the goal. it's a nice dream, but from a purely business planning perspective, it was never even on my radar.

"Profitable" was the goal.

I don't know what your eventual sales pitch is going to be with your obsession with the word "bestselling", but not every business owner sets out to be WalMart. The vast majority of successful business owners are small business owners, less worried about "market share" than general profitability. Many of my friends run their own businesses. None of them are competition for WalMart, Amazon, or any other mega corporation. But they all have nice standards of living anyway and are happy with what they have achieved.

I really don't understand the obsession with "bestseller" status. Bestseller status is a by-product of a lot of other activities...and a healthy dose of luck and timing. There are only 100 spots in the top 100 of any given category. All it is is a comparison of your gross sales volume compared to other vendors. It is not a healthy business model to make all business decisions on claiming one of those 100 spots. It sure as heck isn't sustainable over a decade. For many, it isn't sustainable over a year or two.

Do you know which car company sells the most cars by volume over the last few years? Hyundai.
Do you know which car company is the most profitable over the last few years? Ferrari.

Now Ferrari could worry about being the best selling car company in the world. But why? It's business model makes it extraordinarily profitable on far fewer sales.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »

OP I asked you a question in the other thread?

Are you looking for a writing course/book for yourself? Do you want to learn how to write bestselling books yourself? Since you have admitted that you hire ghostwriters and are great at self-publishing in different genres.

Is there an honest reason why you are asking these questions and posting under the name BestsellerDude?

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
For me it all comes down to the man keeping me down.

I'd been reading this thread kind of rolling my eyes, hit this, and nearly laughed myself out of my chair.

Word.

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
I couldn't care less about being classed as a 'best selling author' which seems a pretty meaningless term to me.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline BlossomBubblesButtercup

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
Thank you for asking this question. I've now got a list of what not to do.

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »

Do you know which car company sells the most cars by volume over the last few years? Hyundai.
Do you know which car company is the most profitable over the last few years? Ferrari.

Now Ferrari could worry about being the best selling car company in the world. But why? It's business model makes it extraordinarily profitable on far fewer sales.

Yasss. Exactly.

Offline BlossomBubblesButtercup

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, and man did I need this thread right now.

I started this whole process last December, when I wrote my first book. I joined the Mark Dawson class, I did all the things, and everything was going good and then... everything just stopped, basically. It's really left me confused. Right now I'm messing with variables that probably shouldn't be messed with, trying to get this momentum back, that I don't even really know how it happened now, because with virtually everything slowing down, I got no idea what really started it in the first place then.

In my mind I know I just need to take a moment to step away from social media, from my stats and rank and sales email subscribers and email, go back to writing and just chill out. People are allowed to not see their email for a day or two, or decide not to buy at this moment, or download the book and not read it just yet. But it's hard when I've basically bet my livelihood on this working.

At any rate, it's good to know other people are finding the whole thing just as indecipherable. I'm pretty competent in every area that self-publishing requires and honestly, there's no accounting for the mysterious elixir that draws the crowd. It usually boils down to something dumb/foreign that you'd rather not do, and in your mind you're like, "no. NO. that can't possibly be what I have to do..."

P.S. if someone decides to reply to me with advice, just know that will break me in this moment, so please do not do that. Or do so, at your peril.

No advice, just wanted to say I like your covers.

Offline Kathryn Meyer Griffith

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
If someone isn't a best-selling author (yet) it is usually because they haven't written the book everyone (or many many people) want to read. Yet.

Kathryn Meyer Griffith horror/thriller/murder mystery author since 1984; 27 novels,12 short stories
Kathryn Meyer Griffith | Facebook | Author\\\\\\\'s Den | Good Reads | My website | Author Central | Amazon-author | Gravata | Amazon

Offline Aloha

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
Why aren't you a bestselling author?

RE
 AO      =   LS

Or,  Reader Expectation divided by Author Obstreperousness equals Low Sales

Offline dgrant

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
Over in this house, we have a remarkable ability to self-sabotage. That is, my darling man gets a series going with momentum, and then *wham!* Time for another surgery as yet another organ tries to self-destruct!

And either before going into surgery or when coming out of it, my love doesn't feel up to continuing on the main series - nope, it's time to tackle a different genre! And what am I going to say? "Yeah, I know you've had your muse go "Squirrel!", but write this thing you can't concentrate on"?

Meanwhile, I can't exactly throw stones. I've gotten one book out - will shortly be publishing my second, for a rate of about one every other year. Not exactly fast enough to take advantage of any algorithms!

Still, we're getting better at pushing through; we're both on the mend from relatively minor surgeries, and tackling publishing two books - one of mine and one of his - this month. Maybe someday we can hit bestseller income, so the books can cover the medical bills?

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
I am with you, although I do spend some money on advertising.

That being said, after I released my first book I read the 'best sellers' in my genre and I was like you're kidding me. . .(I may not make any friends by saying that but it is how I felt about their books).

Then I read one of those free books on how to market your book to become a best seller on Amazon, it comes down to spending tons of money on advertising. You still need a good cover and blurb, but advertising seems to be the only way, but it all added up in my mind.

Of course I want to be a best seller, it is a life goal but I want it to be because I wrote an awesome book not because I spent thousands on advertising. (The fair tale)

This hits home for me. As with any business, if you know how to advertise and advertise well then the rest can fall into place. No doubt that quality is important, but so many best-sellers have done their research and really pumped their hours into marketing and growing their reader base.