NetGalley

Author Topic: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...  (Read 6640 times)  

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
Re: Why Aren't You A Bestselling Author? This Could Get Fun...
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »
RE
 AO      =   LS

Or,  Reader Expectation divided by Author Obstreperousness equals Low Sales

Oooh yeah, I like this equation. Put very simply and makes the most sense.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Cos other peeple are dumb.

Its there fault. My boooks are like amazebulls

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »

thiss iz totes wut i ment to say

Ken Ward

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
Why aren't I a bestselling author?

Hum...

Well, I don't have a drinking problem. Not hooked on drugs. Don't cheat on my wife. Don't gamble. No bizarre fetishes. No secret aliases. Not a world traveler nor a thrill junkie. Never committed a crime. Never had a reality show. Never started a cult. Never met anyone famous. Never wealthy, and I don't have a "how I pulled myself out of a hopeless situation" story.

So other than a couple of minor OCD ticks, I'm just too damn boring to be a bestselling author!  ;)       
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:53:40 PM by Accord64 »

Offline BestsellerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that someone is taking notes here.  Maybe a list of "what not to do in order to be successful in writing"??    ::)    ::)    ::)

That should be a GREAT thing! Isn't that what we are all here to learn?

Offline SalomeGolding

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
That being said, after I released my first book I read the 'best sellers' in my genre and I was like you're kidding me. . .(I may not make any friends by saying that but it is how I felt about their books).

Yeah, it makes me sound like a beyotch, but I feel the same about most of the best sellers in my genre.

But, yeah. Still want to be a best seller. There are many things I'm prepared to change to get there. But continuing to write books I feel proud of is not something I'm prepared to give up.

Author of Cross-Cultural Romances featuring black women
Salome Golding | Amazon | Twitter

Offline BestsellerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2018, 09:03:02 PM »

OP I asked you a question in the other thread?

Are you looking for a writing course/book for yourself? Do you want to learn how to write bestselling books yourself? Since you have admitted that you hire ghostwriters and are great at self-publishing in different genres.

Is there an honest reason why you are asking these questions and posting under the name BestsellerDude?

I am here to ask good questions and enjoy good conversation.

And absolutely I am wanting to become a writer.

Offline BestsellerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
"bestselling" was never the goal. it's a nice dream, but from a purely business planning perspective, it was never even on my radar.

"Profitable" was the goal.

I don't know what your eventual sales pitch is going to be with your obsession with the word "bestselling", but not every business owner sets out to be WalMart. The vast majority of successful business owners are small business owners, less worried about "market share" than general profitability. Many of my friends run their own businesses. None of them are competition for WalMart, Amazon, or any other mega corporation. But they all have nice standards of living anyway and are happy with what they have achieved.

I really don't understand the obsession with "bestseller" status. Bestseller status is a by-product of a lot of other activities...and a healthy dose of luck and timing. There are only 100 spots in the top 100 of any given category. All it is is a comparison of your gross sales volume compared to other vendors. It is not a healthy business model to make all business decisions on claiming one of those 100 spots. It sure as heck isn't sustainable over a decade. For many, it isn't sustainable over a year or two.

Do you know which car company sells the most cars by volume over the last few years? Hyundai.
Do you know which car company is the most profitable over the last few years? Ferrari.

Now Ferrari could worry about being the best selling car company in the world. But why? It's business model makes it extraordinarily profitable on far fewer sales.

Yes! I am absolutely OBSESSED with the whole idea of being a bestselling author!

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »

All excellent reasons! :)

Why am I not a bestselling author? Because I don't have any spare cash to spend on advertising.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »
Ahhhhh ok. I see.

So basically, to make an example, you are saying that you are running a Pizzaria in a town that prefers Hamburgers?

And even after knowing that information, you are still going to press forward with making Pizza? Even if very few people buy?

Am I correct?

I'd say it's opening a Pizzaria in a town full of hamburger places and convincing them to try something new.  You might give the first slice away for free, but if they like it...they'll be back.

Then, everyone will wonder why they didn't sell pizza themselves.  The town will be flooded with pizza and someone will come along and open a hot dog stand. ;)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2018, 09:21:58 PM »
I'd say it's opening a Pizzaria in a town full of hamburger places and convincing them to try something new.  You might give the first slice away for free, but if they like it...they'll be back.

Then, everyone will wonder why they didn't sell pizza themselves.  The town will be flooded with pizza and someone will come along and open a hot dog stand. ;)
Brilliant analogy.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2018, 01:14:10 AM »
Of course I want to be a best seller, it is a life goal but I want it to be because I wrote an awesome book not because I spent thousands on advertising. (The fair tale)

No point writing an awesome book if nobody knows about it. Advertising is just telling potential readers about your book. If they like the look of it, they'll try it. If it's awesome to them, they'll read everything you write. But without *some* advertising up front, you never get to reach that reader.

And you don't have to spend thousands. Interacting with fans of your genre on social media is also a form of advertising, and costs nothing. Chris Fox talks about this in his books - if you find your tribe and connect with them in a positive way, they'll buy your books, and tell all their friends about them, too.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Offline JoyMosby

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2018, 04:29:43 AM »
No point writing an awesome book if nobody knows about it. Advertising is just telling potential readers about your book. If they like the look of it, they'll try it. If it's awesome to them, they'll read everything you write. But without *some* advertising up front, you never get to reach that reader.

And you don't have to spend thousands. Interacting with fans of your genre on social media is also a form of advertising, and costs nothing. Chris Fox talks about this in his books - if you find your tribe and connect with them in a positive way, they'll buy your books, and tell all their friends about them, too.

Pauline, I completely agree with you, and I do spend some money on advertising and try to communicate with my followers on social media. I made it into the top 100 when I released Hunted by Vampires, because I spent money on advertising. As you said I just don't want spend thousands. . . .

I am releasing a new book today with a new pen name, and I will be spending a few hundred dollars on advertising. I hope it goes well. . .

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2018, 04:41:00 AM »

Because nobody pays attention to this:

Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Dayseye

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2018, 05:07:42 AM »
Because the unicorns are calling.

True story.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2018, 05:18:51 AM »
Because nobody pays attention to this:

This made me laugh so hard! Thank you!   :D

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2018, 05:50:37 AM »
This made me laugh so hard! Thank you!   :D

Courtesy of one of my Patrons who really wants me to finish my new series! LOL
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2018, 06:05:54 AM »
I can give lots of reasons why I'm not a bestselling author. They all matter. The one that matters the most is a chronic shortage of capital. Second comes marketing incompetence. Third would be writing books too far outside the mainstream.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline thegreenheron

• View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »
Because I write too slow. I'm a green heron, after all. You've heard of hunting and pecking? I. Do. That. Literally. It took me two hours to peck this response with my beak.

And then there's the avian discrimination. To post here, I have to lie on the verification questions and claim I'm a human.

It's just not that easy being green.  ;D

Offline Beth_Hammond

• View Profile
    • bethhammondbooks.com
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
I think I don't put enough time into writing (finishing my series) - life gets in the way, or figuring out how to make the ads work better (ams ads work decent. faceboob ads are day old donuts). I can fake it a little bit - get an ad to work well but not be able to figure out exactly what made it work well because I copy that process and it bombs. But I keep tinkering, lurking, pushing forward, hoping.

I'm still figuring this out.
Beth Hammond | bethhammondbooks.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
Why aren't I a bestselling author?

Hum...

Well, I don't have a drinking problem. Not hooked on drugs. Don't cheat on my wife. Don't gamble. No bizarre fetishes. No secret aliases. Not a world traveler nor a thrill junkie. Never committed a crime. Never had a reality show. Never started a cult. Never met anyone famous. Never wealthy, and I don't have a "how I pulled myself out of a hopeless situation" story.

So other than a couple of minor OCD ticks, I'm just too damn boring to be a bestselling author!  ;)     
You just sold me a book or two or three.  :)

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
Oh, my. I have a long list:  :P

I don't write and publish fast enough.

I've published a lot of short stories (only one novel so far, working on revisions of its sequel right now).

I don't write to market.

I haven't found my audience (I have been told it's out there by a well-established reviewer).

I don't have tons of money for advertising (and also don't want to put a lot into it until I have a sequel to the first novel).

I fail at interacting on social media (social anxiety doesn't help).

Oy, I shouldn't have made that list. It makes me feel like the odds are completely against me. But to be honest, I don't really need to be a bestseller. I just want to find my audience and have a few fans that love what I write.  :D A few thousand extra a year to add to the the family money would be nice, but I don't need an insane amount of zeros to be happy.
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 40%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2018, 11:45:09 AM »
Yes! I am absolutely OBSESSED with the whole idea of being a bestselling author!
Okay, you've won me over with your honesty ;) I love the idea myself--as an idea.

For me, writing is a retreat from the rat race, and I know that it would lose all its attractiveness if I tried to turn it into a source of income. (I have a mentally challenging and well-paying job that I love, and I don't plan to retire from it in the foreseeable future.) I write slowly, way too slowly to generate the momentum that's necessary to build a large following of readers. To use your pizzeria analogy, my shop is a pop-up boutique borscht kitchen operated out of a boler trailer that comes and goes without a schedule.

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
Why? Because that's not the goal I'm chasing at the moment. Although that could certainly change.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline Stevej37334

• Mississippi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
I think many of us probably have already written some fairly good stuff that stacks up pretty well against the rest of the stuff in the very big pile. We just have not yet been discovered by the masses and maybe they are not clamoring for our work mostly because they don't know about our work. I call this my needle in the haystack theory. Part of our job is to do what we can to make our stuff stand out in the big pile and be noticed. It only takes one spark to get a fire going. Maybe one day somebody will read one of your books and get excited about it. Maybe they will say, "Yes, I get it, I really get it!" And maybe they will tell others about your work. Then, maybe the fire will spread and burn totally out of control. I could live with that - how about you?