Author Topic: instafreebie email requirements  (Read 695 times)  

Offline mike h

• View Profile
    • Herman_Santangelo
instafreebie email requirements
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:49:19 AM »
I just noticed that Instafreebie still requires emails to download books. After saying they would no longer support mandatory email for authors. So, I'm curious. How does that work? Instafreebie mandates emails for themselves but disallows it for authors? Seems like their fear of the new guidelines would disallow email gathering for all, not just authors. Am I missing something here? I realize that by leaving an email, it allows them to email you the book. But that is still gathering. Delivery does not have to happen via email. It could be downloaded directly to reader.

Offline Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
Re: instafreebie email requirements
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »
Yeah... I mean, even though they aren't adding the email to the mailing list, they are still requiring data in order to provide something.  ::)

On top of that, they don't really state clearly what they are going to do with this data.  :o

But sure, it's ironic that they decided not to support mandatory sign-ups claiming that they wanted to respect GDPR  and this part of Article 7:

When assessing whether consent is freely given, utmost account shall be taken of whether, inter alia, the performance of a contract, including the provision of a service, is conditional on consent to the processing of personal data that is not necessary for the performance of that contract.

And sure, downloading a book doesn't require an email address, so they are collecting data that is not necessary for the performance of a contract. 

If they really have a problem with consent freely given, they shouldn't be collecting emails to deliver books. But it's not about that, is it?

I think Bookfunnel and Book Cave Direct did a great job adapting to GDPR, while Instafreebie just decided to make its service less appealing to authors.

Offline Instafreebie Staff

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Instafreebie
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:17:42 AM »
Hi Mike, thanks for reaching out! Authors can continue to use mandatory opt-in on our site; we have never stated that we would remove that feature. However, we encourage authors to use optional opt-in with their readers, and as such we are no longer featuring mandatory opt-in giveaways on our social media, blog, newsletter, or promoted them to readers through our recommendation engine.

We're not sure what you mean when you state that we mandate emails for ourselves? Instafreebie has had optional opt-in on our own newsletter since August 2017, and we re-verified our entire email list last month to ensure that all of the readers who are subscribed are excited to engage with us. While we do ask for a reader's email address on giveaways pages in order to deliver the ebook to them (either via email or our app, according to the reader's preference), the reader's email is used for transactional purposes only and is not added to our newsletter list unless they opt-in using a separate form. If you're referring to something else on our site, please let us know!

If you'd like to read the original GDPR announcement that we sent out, you may do so here: http://preview.mailerlite.com/k2r0m3

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Instafreebie
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »
Yeah... I mean, even though they aren't adding the email to the mailing list, they are still requiring data in order to provide something.  ::)

On top of that, they don't really state clearly what they are going to do with this data.  :o

But sure, it's ironic that they decided not to support mandatory sign-ups claiming that they wanted to respect GDPR  and this part of Article 7:

And sure, downloading a book doesn't require an email address, so they are collecting data that is not necessary for the performance of a contract. 

If they really have a problem with consent freely given, they shouldn't be collecting emails to deliver books. But it's not about that, is it?

I think Bookfunnel and Book Cave Direct did a great job adapting to GDPR, while Instafreebie just decided to make its service less appealing to authors.

Hi Day, thanks for sharing your concerns! Here are our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy, which explain how and why we use the information we collect from readers.

https://www.instafreebie.com/about/terms
https://www.instafreebie.com/about/privacy

When readers use our service, we ask for their email in order to deliver the ebook that they requested! Even if they prefer to download a book directly via our app instead of receiving it via email, they use their email address to log into the app when it is installed on their device. In this case, the email address allows us to identify the reader and add the book to their in-app library. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to clarify things!

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
I just want to say, that I haven't required opt-ins for my emails in over 9 months on any of the 9 books and stories I have on Instafreebie. I am still getting hundreds of new email subs a month from the optional opt-in. In addition, the open rate for my opt-in Welcome emails is near 70%, and I get virtually no spam reports.

Just as important, I've given away THOUSANDS of books, and those downloaders do become paying customers. I track sell-thru. I know that 12% of downloaders of IBF 1 will go onto buy IBF 2. There have been months where that rate has jumped mysteriously to 24% ... invariably, the extras come from Instafreebie.

There are a lot of things I'd like Instafreebie to do better: I'd like them to actively go out and find new readers, to have a better search function, too, and to promote each title up to once a year instead of only once.

All that said, they've become a valuable part of my marketing arsenal, and I feel like they have justified the $20 I spend every month.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Instafreebie
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »
I just want to say, that I haven't required opt-ins for my emails in over 9 months on any of the 9 books and stories I have on Instafreebie. I am still getting hundreds of new email subs a month from the optional opt-in. In addition, the open rate for my opt-in Welcome emails is near 70%, and I get virtually no spam reports.

Just as important, I've given away THOUSANDS of books, and those downloaders do become paying customers. I track sell-thru. I know that 12% of downloaders of IBF 1 will go onto buy IBF 2. There have been months where that rate has jumped mysteriously to 24% ... invariably, the extras come from Instafreebie.

There are a lot of things I'd like Instafreebie to do better: I'd like them to actively go out and find new readers, to have a better search function, too, and to promote each title up to once a year instead of only once.

All that said, they've become a valuable part of my marketing arsenal, and I feel like they have justified the $20 I spend every month.

We're so glad you're had such a positive experience on the site! Thanks for sharing, and we'll be sure to take your feedback back to the team. We'll be bringing search functionality to the site later this year; we're looking forward to sharing that with all of you!

Online KD Ritchie

• View Profile
    • KD Ritchie - My Author Website
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
As a newbie, I love Instafreebie. It's how I've built up a VETTED mailing list with always going optional. I have an Instafreebie segment that goes through a welcome sequence, many stick around. Ever since signing up, I created The Craved Fantasy Giveaway where each month I get to host a themed giveaway for fantasy books. Not only is my one little magnet in thousands of readers hands, but I like seeing fellow authors (many on Kboards too!) join the giveaways, and come back again next month. I will know more once I release Book 1 hopefully this month or next, but I'd have ZIP without them save for maybe a couple people lol

Offline Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
Oh, I love Instafreebie as well, don't get me wrong. I also got many subscribers from Instafreebie, and it's been amazing. I can see how optional opt-ins might be a better idea on the long run. No problems with that.

I just don't like the justification for no longer promoting group promos with mandatory opt-ins. If they had said, "OK, we think optional opt-ins are better for our authors, readers, and for us, and we think it's a good business decision for everyone, so we'll focus on promoting only this type of giveaways", I think it would have been more honest and transparent.

Using GDPR to justify the decision to promote only optional opt-ins doesn't make sense. Data is still collected and the site still has mandatory opt-ins.

I'll definitely go back to Instafreebie when I have a sample or more material.

I just feel sad when I organize a group promo and people simply don't share it.  :(  I don't mean people with small lists, who get 5 clicks. That's fine. I mean people who join and then don't give a flip. It's annoying. I love IF because you can track it, but maybe I'd rather not see it.  :'(

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:35:12 AM by Day Leitao »

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »

Using GDPR to justify the decision to promote only optional opt-ins doesn't make sense. Data is still collected and the site still has mandatory opt-ins.

But the email isn't "collected" in a database if user doesn't opt in. It is used to generate an email that takes the reader to a screen where they can select their format, if they want the file mailed to them, and IF they want to be added to Instafreebie's mailing list.

Instafreebie is correct to protect themselves. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, a lawsuit could really hurt them no matter the verdict.

Offline danpadavona

• View Profile
    • Dan Padavona Author Page
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
I guess I'll try the optional opt-in. This seems like a really bad deal for authors, but if it is working for C. Gockel I believe it is worth a try.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:22:44 AM by danpadavona »

Dan Padavona | Website | Facebook

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
I guess I'll try the optional opt-in. This seems like a really bad deal for authors, but if it is working for C. Gockel I believe it is worth a try.
I've only used Instafreebie once (in a group giveaway set to optional opt-in). I got a large number of downloads, and about 40% of people opted in, if I remember correctly.  That was enough to satisfy me, especially since they didn't grab the book and immediately opt out. (And yes, I have seen that in other circumstances.)

Whether one can insist on a mailing list opt-in under GDPR is still up in the air. We may not really know until the issue is litigated. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be the test case!

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline danpadavona

• View Profile
    • Dan Padavona Author Page
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
LOL. Good point, Bill.

Since Instafreebie altered their search engine to push books from paying authors above free accounts, has anyone noticed an uptick in organic downloads? (ie, outside of promotions). I recall very few downloads outside of promotions when I was with Instafreebie a year ago.

Dan Padavona | Website | Facebook

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
Since Instafreebie altered their search engine to push books from paying authors above free accounts, has anyone noticed an uptick in organic downloads? (ie, outside of promotions). I recall very few downloads outside of promotions when I was with Instafreebie a year ago.

Unfortunately, no. I also worry that they aren't aggressively pursuing new readers. I still find it a valuable tool, and I hope they become more searchable and start advertising for new readers through AdWords and Facebook.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »
IF is indeed useful and has the best selection of group promotions each month of the services I use. I also like their UI the best. Only problem is there are only so many subscribers to get from the pool unless they aggressively find new readers to bring in, so that monthly fee begins to have a reduced return of investment.

Offline mike h

• View Profile
    • Herman_Santangelo
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »
we are no longer featuring mandatory opt-in giveaways on our social media, blog, newsletter, or promoted them to readers through our recommendation engine.
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but mandatory opt-in is disallowed on all group giveaways. The group giveaways are what every author goes to Instafreebie for.

[/quote] While we do ask for a reader's email address on giveaways pages in order to deliver the ebook to them (either via email or our app, according to the reader's preference), the reader's email is used for transactional purposes only and is not added to our newsletter list unless they opt-in using a separate form.
[/quote]
2. This is what I was referring to when I said Instafreebie mandates an email be given. This mandate could be made unnecessary simply by choosing a different delivery method. Instafreebie chooses to deliver the book by email when delivery of the book could be just a download directly from the Instafreebie site. If instafreebie was really worried about the consequence of gathering emails it would go to a direct download method. No email required.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac