Author Topic: Share your weird or funny "I'm an author" stories and interactions  (Read 4534 times)  

Online Rob Martin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
Re: Share your weird or funny "I'm an author" stories and interactions
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
My mother was an author and published 13 Gothic horror novels back in the day. In the 70's, when I was still impressionable youth, she had me along when she was working a booth. An old woman walked right up to her and started yelling for having "smut" on display where families could see it. I mean, this woman really tore into my mother, attracting a huge crowd of onlookers, while mom just stood there and smiled. The old woman walked away and, shortly after, an old man comes up. He introduces himself as the woman's husband and apologizes for her behavior. He then proceeds to buy a copy of every title she had. Years later, while we were browsing through an old book store, I found one of mom's books and reminded her about the incident. She was surprised I remembered it. I asked her why she hadn't gotten upset. She told me she'd known  a sale was going to be made as soon as the old woman launched into her tirade. What? I didn't understand. Mom continued, saying that people who complained the loudest were generally the ones that wanted it the most. The woman had sent her husband over to buy them after, and because of the crowd that'd gathered to watch the verbal lashing, mom sold more books than she'd been expecting.

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
My mother was an author and published 13 Gothic horror novels back in the day. In the 70's, when I was still impressionable youth, she had me along when she was working a booth. An old woman walked right up to her and started yelling for having "smut" on display where families could see it. I mean, this woman really tore into my mother, attracting a huge crowd of onlookers, while mom just stood there and smiled. The old woman walked away and, shortly after, an old man comes up. He introduces himself as the woman's husband and apologizes for her behavior. He then proceeds to buy a copy of every title she had. Years later, while we were browsing through an old book store, I found one of mom's books and reminded her about the incident. She was surprised I remembered it. I asked her why she hadn't gotten upset. She told me she'd known  a sale was going to be made as soon as the old woman launched into her tirade. What? I didn't understand. Mom continued, saying that people who complained the loudest were generally the ones that wanted it the most. The woman had sent her husband over to buy them after, and because of the crowd that'd gathered to watch the verbal lashing, mom sold more books than she'd been expecting.

I thought you were going to say that the tirade lady had been a plant  :D

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online Rob Martin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2018, 06:55:44 AM »
I thought you were going to say that the tirade lady had been a plant  :D
I wouldn't have put that past her. Mom could be sneaky old bird.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2018, 07:07:05 AM »
A teenage character in one of my books gets psychological counseling that eventually involves the entire family taking part in sort of a confrontational session. I have a long-time friend who is a psychiatrist who read the book after it was published. He said he didn't know I'd been through counseling. I said I hadn't. Oh, he said, it was a family member then. I said no and added that I wasn't aware of anyone I know who had counseling although I'm sure they exist but haven't shared the information with me. He proceeded to tell me the scenes were extremely well done and he admired the techniques the psychologist used. I found it humorous he thought I'd written a real-life scene in my fiction book (something I never do). More to the point, I was flattered. This isn't a funny story about being an author, but it seemed weird that he was so impressed with my degree of accuracy and assumed it to be a personal account.

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
A teenage character in one of my books gets psychological counseling that eventually involves the entire family taking part in sort of a confrontational session. I have a long-time friend who is a psychiatrist who read the book after it was published. He said he didn't know I'd been through counseling. I said I hadn't. Oh, he said, it was a family member then. I said no and added that I wasn't aware of anyone I know who had counseling although I'm sure they exist but haven't shared the information with me. He proceeded to tell me the scenes were extremely well done and he admired the techniques the psychologist used. I found it humorous he thought I'd written a real-life scene in my fiction book (something I never do). More to the point, I was flattered. This isn't a funny story about being an author, but it seemed weird that he was so impressed with my degree of accuracy and assumed it to be a personal account.

Well done on your research!

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline John Twipnook

• Somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »
Memoir of a Mob Psychic is a good fiction idea, at least. Run with it! (Under a pen name.)

In between asking if Joey is skimming or if Anthony is gonna whack him, the Don asks his most pressing question: are they putting cream into the so-and-so sauce at his favorite restaurant? Because it's supposed to be butter only, they deny the cream, they're telling him he's crazy, he can't figure it out. :)
"My girlfriend moved in with another guy, so I dumped her, because that's where I draw the line." Garry Shandling

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
This funny story isn't exactly "I'm an author," but I think it might fit here.
I asked a family member for her opinion on the ending of my WIP.
She said, "I'm starting to get really worried about you!"
I said, "Just take me out of the equation and tell me if you read a book or saw a movie with this ending, would you like it or not?"
She said, "Oh. Yeah. I just saw a movie that had something like that in it."
The movie was The Shape of Water.
So that's how I found out that I needed to change my ending.