NetGalley

Author Topic: Share your weird or funny "I'm an author" stories and interactions  (Read 4526 times)  

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
Re: Share your weird or funny "I'm an author" stories and interactions
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
I thought I didn't have any author stories but the medical ones above have reminded me about this somewhat weird moment.
When I came out of surgery on my hip about 18 months ago, I chatted to the nurse for a while (I hadn't had a general anaesthetic so I was quite alert, over-excited if anything as I didn't have any hip pain for the first time in over 2 years) more or less as follows:
Nurse: what will you do with yourself while you're recovering?
Me: I'll probably do some writing.
Nurse: What do you write?
Me: Oh, mostly murder mysteries.
(pause)
Nurse: Let me just check your fluids.
(uncovers tube that has somehow got wrapped round my neck as I was being wheeled out of the operating theatre) Oh, look (laughs) - there's a new idea for one of your murders! Strangled in the recovery room.
(I must admit I didn't find it as amusing as she did)

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
I thought I didn't have any author stories but the medical ones above have reminded me about this somewhat weird moment.
When I came out of surgery on my hip about 18 months ago, I chatted to the nurse for a while (I hadn't had a general anaesthetic so I was quite alert, over-excited if anything as I didn't have any hip pain for the first time in over 2 years) more or less as follows:
Nurse: what will you do with yourself while you're recovering?
Me: I'll probably do some writing.
Nurse: What do you write?
Me: Oh, mostly murder mysteries.
(pause)
Nurse: Let me just check your fluids.
(uncovers tube that has somehow got wrapped round my neck as I was being wheeled out of the operating theatre) Oh, look (laughs) - there's a new idea for one of your murders! Strangled in the recovery room.
(I must admit I didn't find it as amusing as she did)

There's the answer to the never-ending, "Where do you get your ideas?"  :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:03:07 PM by Jan Hurst-Nicholson »

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
There's the answer to the never-ending, "Where do you get your ideas?"  :D

Or you could answer it with, "Mostly I wait around for random people to tell me their great ideas, then I write their story and pay them half of what I make from it." Considering how many people seem to think that's how writers actually work, I bet a lot of people would buy it.

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
I once related to my father that I hated making small talk because it would always inevitably lead to "what do you do?" which would always lead to me saying I'm a writer which would always lead to awkwardness, embarrassment, etc etc etc. It doesn't help that I don't like people in general anyway. lol

I've often found people get weird when you tell them you write, and it's something I'll usually avoid, instead making something up - especially if I know odds are low I'll ever have to interact with this individual again. But in my experience when the writing thing comes up, either they get judgmental and condescending or strangely threatened or they think you're being boastful, or worse, you're completely delusional. A lot of people think self-publishing is vanity publishing. A lot of people think the only way you can make money from your writing is if you do the whole trad pub dance.

My father's advice when I told him of my hate for making small talk and my wariness about mentioning the writing thing was to be up front and tell anyone that asks that I'm a "poor, struggling writer". Just put it right out there. Beats them to the punch and could potentially soften them off the bat into taking an interest in what I had available. I have no idea if that's good advice or not, but I found it interesting regardless.

Ken Ward

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »
I suppose we could always talk around the issue, and disguise it.  "I create and distribute online entertainment products." 

Sounds impressive, no??  Only problem comes when they ask for details.  "What type of entertainment products?  Have I heard of any of them?" Etc.  Although in this case we could always answer, "I don't know if you've heard of them.  They're called books."
Jena

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
Attention makes me uncomfortable. I usually tell people I'm a housewife, because it's the quickest way to being dismissed. But once I admitted to the stylist cutting my hair that I was a writer. "What type of books?" she wanted to know. "Fantasy," I said. She looked excited. "You mean like Twilight?" I couldn't help an involuntary grimace. "No. Nothing like Twilight." She was a little cold toward me after that and I suddenly realized she hadn't been trying to insult me. She'd thought she was complimenting me and here I'd just snubbed her reading taste with my grimace. I still go to that stylist and am hoping she doesn't remember me as "that snobby writer".

Offline Rosie Scott

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • War. War never changes.
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Website
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 08:33:24 PM »
I have more of a weird story than a funny one, but here goes: I was adopted at ten weeks old. Met my birth mother and her side of the family when I was 18 and eventually gave up on trying to find my dad's side (long story, but basically, I was misled about who my birth father was). Fast forward some years to late 2016. I get an email from a woman claiming to be my sister on my dad's side. Long story short, I get into contact with my birth father, we get a DNA test done, and wouldn't you know it? I've found my birth father. Only took nearly 30 years.  ::)

During this whole thing, my sister's explaining how she was using my maiden name to try to find me all these years. Once she found out my full married name, she asks, "Wait...and you said you're an author? Did you write The Resistance?" I said, "Uh...actually, yes." She goes on to tell me that she's been a fan of mine since 2012 after coming across the first two books of my New World series at a library. She then says, "I keep meaning to buy the others!" So when we met for the first time last year, I gifted her the entire series.

It was a really, really weird experience. I'm not famous or rich by any means. I was baffled that not only was I recognized for my work, but my own sister was a fan and reading my stories halfway across the country without knowing we were related.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:36:34 PM by Rosie Scott »

Dystopian/sci-fi/fantasy. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Offline Michelle Files

• View Profile
    • MichelleFiles.com
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
I have more of a weird story than a funny one, but here goes: I was adopted at ten weeks old. Met my birth mother and her side of the family when I was 18 and eventually gave up on trying to find my dad's side (long story, but basically, I was misled about who my birth father was). Fast forward some years to late 2016. I get an email from a woman claiming to be my sister on my dad's side. Long story short, I get into contact with my birth father, we get a DNA test done, and wouldn't you know it? I've found my birth father. Only took nearly 30 years.  ::)

During this whole thing, my sister's explaining how she was using my maiden name to try to find me all these years. Once she found out my full married name, she asks, "Wait...and you said you're an author? Did you write The Resistance?" I said, "Uh...actually, yes." She goes on to tell me that she's been a fan of mine since 2012 after coming across the first two books of my New World series at a library. She then says, "I keep meaning to buy the others!" So when we met for the first time last year, I gifted her the entire series.

It was a really, really weird experience. I'm not famous or rich by any means. I was baffled that not only was I recognized for my work, but my own sister was a fan and reading my stories halfway across the country without knowing we were related.

That's a pretty cool story. You should write a book about it.

Author Notes
Michelle Files | All Books

Offline Rosie Scott

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • War. War never changes.
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Website
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »

That's a pretty cool story. You should write a book about it.

Ha! Now there's an idea.  ;)

Dystopian/sci-fi/fantasy. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Offline SallyRose

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »

That is an amazing story! ...Both that she's a fan, and that you found your sister. How cool!

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2018, 09:19:37 PM »
That is an amazing story! ...Both that she's a fan, and that you found your sister. How cool!
I keep hearing the tune to It's a Small World After All...  ;D
That's an awesome story.

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2018, 01:42:40 AM »
Attention makes me uncomfortable. I usually tell people I'm a housewife, because it's the quickest way to being dismissed. But once I admitted to the stylist cutting my hair that I was a writer. "What type of books?" she wanted to know. "Fantasy," I said. She looked excited. "You mean like Twilight?" I couldn't help an involuntary grimace. "No. Nothing like Twilight." She was a little cold toward me after that and I suddenly realized she hadn't been trying to insult me. She'd thought she was complimenting me and here I'd just snubbed her reading taste with my grimace. I still go to that stylist and am hoping she doesn't remember me as "that snobby writer".

When my hairdresser learned I wrote children's books she was interested enough to ask to see one. She then bought a print copy for her daughter saying that we must help each other  :)

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »

What a lovely story. Sounds like something from Dr Phil.

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2018, 07:09:41 AM »
On a positive note...

Years ago, I met a gentleman at a local cafe. I'm relatively standoffish in public; I filter people quickly according to whether I think our values and priorities harmonize.

This individual asked me what I do. I got a good vibe from him, and described my businesses, including the publishing business. He explained that, like me, he managed multiple businesses.

Today, he's a trusted member of my small mastermind group. We share data, results, marketing ideas, etc.

And it started with him asking me, "So, what do you do for a living?"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2018, 07:33:56 AM »
Just remembered the recent one (but, as with most of my stories, I'm the fool, not the other person)

Just bought a house. As the house inspector was descending into the crawl space, I said. "I'm a writer, and this is giving me an idea about an old lady locking her inspector into the crawl space."

the LOOK he gave me.

I said, "I'd need a drill for what I'm thinking. I don't have a drill with me. You're safe."

He looked a little doubtful still but he did go down there.

By the time he was back up, I had it all figured out. It wouldn't be a random old lady, it'd be a real estate agent who felt the inspector had lost her her first $500K sale. She'd have the pre-drilled boards all ready, a cordless drill, and lock him up, coming back from time to time to gloat. I never did work out how to get his cell phone away from him, but I could...

The lesson is: don't blurt out your murder mystery ideas to regular non-writing people. They seem to take it personally!

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
I had a cousin ask about my books. I suggested one of my mysteries because she didn't seem like a SFF person. One is set in the NJ Pine Barrens which is near where she grew up.

"Will I see members of the family in this one?" she asked excitedly.

I freaked. It's about a serial killer and the detective has a seriously dysfunctional family due to his parent's alcoholism...

"No. I hope not," I said.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline KGupton

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
Sitting in my truck during a delivery. Another driver that worked at the company I used to be at before I got my own authority comes over as I'm sitting in the driver's seat reading through one of my proofs.
Him: "Hey, Kris, how's it going? Whatcha reading?"
Me: "I'm good, just looking this over." *show him cover briefly*
Him: "Wow, what are the chances you'd find a book written by someone with your name. Weird."
Me: "Well, pretty good when it's a book I wrote."
Him: "But you're a truck driver, you don't write books."
Yeah.
The Raven Warlord: 100%

Exhumed: 75%

The Slayer: 5%
Kristen Gupton | Facebook

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »

Okay, not a funny-ha-ha story but definitely my favourite so far.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline idontknowyet

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
I suppose we could always talk around the issue, and disguise it.  "I create and distribute online entertainment products." 

Sounds impressive, no??  Only problem comes when they ask for details.  "What type of entertainment products?  Have I heard of any of them?" Etc.  Although in this case we could always answer, "I don't know if you've heard of them.  They're called books."

When you said this I thought of a different type of entertainment product that is common on the internet!

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »
I've seriously considered writing a legal thriller just to get out of jury duty. I wonder if a short story would be enough.

LOL, thankfully I worked in criminal justice long enough they don't even bother with me anymore... I never thought about using books however.
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Rose Andrews

• Washington State, U.S.A.
  • Vintage Love <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2018, 04:10:36 PM »

Bad ass! This story is amazing! And congratulations on finding your birth family, Rosie. :D

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Okay, I have to bite. It's just to hilarious not to.

Most of you may have seen my posts on health once or twice but I spend a lot of time in the hospital due to a serious condition or three... so I am pretty laid back and try to keep myself distracted while going through the whole ER process while they run tests and set up a room to admit me. Not long after I started writing my second book, I started taking my smaller laptop with me and using it to dictate (legally blind so I use voice most of the time) while I was waiting for all of that to happen.. it kept me distracted and I didn't get behind on my word count, so I thought it was a win win.

I reallly wasn't thinking about what I was actually 'writing', but needless to say, it must have sounded odd enough to send a parade of hospital psychologists in to check on me.. that was the first, and only, time I tried explaining what I do after they started asking me questions like "do you feel safe at home' and 'do you hear voices'.. and I still think they added some extra meds to my admittance record just to be sure.. but the nurses got a kick out of it and bought my books so I am pretty sure the story went wide.. (in that hospital anyway! lol)
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
Most people I've run into are supportive. They usually ask where if they can buy it at the local bookstore (I wish) and if they would recognize anything in the book from our area.  I was doing a landscape job, and a lady rode by on her bike-a couple of times. Finally, she stopped and asked if I was also the Victoria Williams who wrote mysteries. Since I was with my client, I just nodded. But she went on and on about reading my books and telling my customer all about it. When she left, my customer looked at me and asked what a cozy mystery was. After I told her, she gave a nod and then said-you should write a gardening book, I'd buy that. I smugly told her my husband and I had and I gave her a copy I had in the car.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
When you said this I thought of a different type of entertainment product that is common on the internet!

Great, that honestly didn't occur to me...  until I read this.   ::)    :P

In my defense, I did say that the explanation would fall apart once the other person started asking questions.  Now, I feel that "I write books" would be a major disappointment.  D'oh!
Jena

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:48 AM »
I reallly wasn't thinking about what I was actually 'writing', but needless to say, it must have sounded odd enough to send a parade of hospital psychologists in to check on me.. that was the first, and only, time I tried explaining what I do after they started asking me questions like "do you feel safe at home' and 'do you hear voices'.. and I still think they added some extra meds to my admittance record just to be sure.. but the nurses got a kick out of it and bought my books so I am pretty sure the story went wide.. (in that hospital anyway! lol)
HAHA OMG! No, no, those voices I hear in my head are just my characters. They are perfectly harmless, except on paper!  :o