Author Topic: Share your weird or funny "I'm an author" stories and interactions  (Read 4525 times)  

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
Re: Share your weird or funny "I'm an author" stories and interactions
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2018, 04:38:12 AM »
HAHA OMG! No, no, those voices I hear in my head are just my characters. They are perfectly harmless, except on paper!  :o

It was more like a skeptical frown followed by "So you're a writer? But your file says you work with the police department as a victim's advocate..." "No, I got out of that due to health issues.." was that mental health or the other reason you're here?" "What? Seriously, you can look if you want, or better yet, go look up my books..." "Well, you said someone named Rencraft wrote this, not..(insert name here) .."That's just my pen name.." "And do you have a lot of these.. pen names...?".. all the way down to asking if I kept a journal as a way to ask if I wrote to 'express' my emotions... in the end, I was questioning my own sanity, though I was laughing so hard it prbly didn't help much .. LOL

Wincing.. I have this image of me blissfully unaware and pumped up on morphine just chattering away about government experiments/conspiracies, test subjects and chasing serial killers while a gaggle of nurses and doctors are on the other side of the curtain wide eyed and making faces at each other... I guess whoever was working that night got a good laugh in the end!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:52:09 AM by Pandorra »
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline wilsonharp

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2018, 05:26:42 AM »
I've had more than a few funny encounters over the years. First, I had the "writer" issue. When I told people I was a writer I would usually get "the look" and the poor, uncomfortable person would graciously try to change the subject, but when I switched to telling people I was a novelist, they would  suddenly light up and ask what I've written.

But even that doesn't work all of the time. About two years in as a full time writer, I was at my parent's for the holidays and I was introduced to one of their friends who asked me what I did. I told him I was a novelist and he asked me how many books I had written. I told him I had written six and he looked at me and asked "Just six?"

I bit my tongue as I really wanted to ask how many he had written.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
It was more like a skeptical frown followed by "So you're a writer? But your file says you work with the police department as a victim's advocate..." "No, I got out of that due to health issues.." was that mental health or the other reason you're here?" "What? Seriously, you can look if you want, or better yet, go look up my books..." "Well, you said someone named Rencraft wrote this, not..(insert name here) .."That's just my pen name.." "And do you have a lot of these.. pen names...?".. all the way down to asking if I kept a journal as a way to ask if I wrote to 'express' my emotions... in the end, I was questioning my own sanity, though I was laughing so hard it prbly didn't help much .. LOL

Wincing.. I have this image of me blissfully unaware and pumped up on morphine just chattering away about government experiments/conspiracies, test subjects and chasing serial killers while a gaggle of nurses and doctors are on the other side of the curtain wide eyed and making faces at each other... I guess whoever was working that night got a good laugh in the end!!

Medical conspiracy/thriller on your list of books to write next? :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
Medical conspiracy/thriller on your list of books to write next? :)

:D  No, but the next book of the series I was writing then is! LOL

..which come to think of it does still have the bad doctors who did the experiments.. lol

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
Mostly I get stuff like this:

Them: "So what do you do?"

Me: "I write novels."

Them: "I read James Patterson. Ever read any of his books?"

Me: "Not on purpose."

Them: "You should. He's good."

Or, I tell them I write novels, and they proceed to brag about how they don't read books. That's not something anyone should brag about. ;)

Alex A. King | Website

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
Mostly I get stuff like this:

Them: "So what do you do?"

Me: "I write novels."

Them: "I read James Patterson. Ever read any of his books?"

Me: "Not on purpose."

Them: "You should. He's good."

Or, I tell them I write novels, and they proceed to brag about how they don't read books. That's not something anyone should brag about. ;)

Hah. I was thinking about that last part today. I still hold a day job I love. Though I've come across people both online and in real life who say that, often in a bragging tone, as if that's the cool thing to do...

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
I really don't have any funny writer stories. Apparently, I dress like a writer or so I've been told. I didn't know that was a thing and I mostly wear jeans and a turtleneck or t-shirt. Some of my neighbors have even bought my novels, so it's pretty common knowledge. The closest I come to a funny story is saying 'Hi' to a newcomer in the neighborhood on the sidewalk and as I walked away another neighbor said in a rather hushed voice,  "She's a writer." I wasn't sure from the tone if it was a good or a bad thing.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
I really don't have any funny writer stories. Apparently, I dress like a writer or so I've been told. I didn't know that was a thing and I mostly wear jeans and a turtleneck or t-shirt. Some of my neighbors have even bought my novels, so it's pretty common knowledge. The closest I come to a funny story is saying 'Hi' to a newcomer in the neighborhood on the sidewalk and as I walked away another neighbor said in a rather hushed voice,  "She's a writer." I wasn't sure from the tone if it was a good or a bad thing.

Probably a warning for the newcomer to watch what they say or do.  :D

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2018, 05:36:23 AM »
Probably a warning for the newcomer to watch what they say or do.  :D
I dunno... do you really trust a writer? They be crazy, yeah? ;)

Offline John Twipnook

• Somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2018, 06:46:28 AM »
A very expensive psychic once asked me to collaborate with her on a memoir she wanted to write. Part of the story involved the head of a certain Italian Fraternal Organization whom she said was the nicest guy, and who still occasionally asked her for counsel on business matters. It all sounded very interesting but the idea of Luccese family goons waiting for me in in my parking garage to break my kneecaps led me to respectfully decline.
"My girlfriend moved in with another guy, so I dumped her, because that's where I draw the line." Garry Shandling

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
A very expensive psychic once asked me to collaborate with her on a memoir she wanted to write. Part of the story involved the head of a certain Italian Fraternal Organization whom she said was the nicest guy, and who still occasionally asked her for counsel on business matters. It all sounded very interesting but the idea of Luccese family goons waiting for me in in my parking garage to break my kneecaps led me to respectfully decline.

I'll bet the psychic knew you were going to decline. ;)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
I dunno... do you really trust a writer? They be crazy, yeah? ;)

Ohhhh, yeah. Me, I only get the unfunny and mean people who bluntly ask me if I'm making any money. Well...no...but I'm still a novelist, dangit!

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »

Memoir of a Mob Psychic is a good fiction idea, at least. Run with it! (Under a pen name.)

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
I was at Southwest Writers' SFF convention this past weekend. While getting a cup of coffee, a woman in her early 50s struck up a conversation with me. She said her son was starting to write science fiction, and she came to the convention to try and understand what that was a little better.

"What do you write?" she asked.
"Mostly urban fantasy."
"What is that?"
"Fantasy and magic in a contemporary everyday setting."
Furrowed brow. "Can you explain a little more? I mean, what is your current book about?"
"It's about an elf, stranded on earth, and a jaguar shape shifter enlists her to recover a golden statue stolen from a goddess."
She starts laughing. "Are you on drugs?"

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
Me: Early 1980's-- 'I write fantasy!'
Other person--'Oh, you mean children's books?'
Me-- 'No, adult fantasy!'
Other person, turning red and shuffling away. "Ooooh, THOSE kind of fantasies....'

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline FelissaEly

• Wife and PA of author, Stephan Morse!
    • View Profile
    • FrustratedEgo Stories
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
I was at Southwest Writers' SFF convention this past weekend. While getting a cup of coffee, a woman in her early 50s struck up a conversation with me. She said her son was starting to write science fiction, and she came to the convention to try and understand what that was a little better.

"What do you write?" she asked.
"Mostly urban fantasy."
"What is that?"
"Fantasy and magic in a contemporary everyday setting."
Furrowed brow. "Can you explain a little more? I mean, what is your current book about?"
"It's about an elf, stranded on earth, and a jaguar shape shifter enlists her to recover a golden statue stolen from a goddess."

That ending though... I burst out laughing. Thanks for sharing :)

My husband's published work
Stephan Morse | FrustratedEgo Stories | FrustratedEgo Stories Facebook

Offline SalomeGolding

• View Profile
Re: Share your weird "I'm an author" stories and interactions
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
I'm still brand new at the whole publishing thing, so still far from being full-time myself, but I've been learning a whole lot the past couple years. Last year some time, I was talking with a friend who's a reader but not any kind of creative person and new nothing about publishing. She had loads of advice about how I should publish. Likewise, once I was describing a story idea to my brother, and while I was still giving a general idea of the fantasy world and hadn't gotten to the MCs or main plot yet, he latched onto one minor part of my worldbuilding, assumed the whole story was about that, further assumed it was a totally different type of book than it was, and rambled on for a while about what a great idea it was and how I should do it (not allowing me a word in edgewise). So yeah, even though I'm still very new at this, I've already learned to pretty much keep my mouth shut about my writing when talking with other people (who aren't writers).
Same here, although I wouldn't tell most people anyway.

Only my husband really knows, and when I told him he immediately started a spiel advising me what I should write about and use as source material, even though he doesn't write or even *read* fiction of any kind.

Author of Cross-Cultural Romances featuring black women
Salome Golding | Amazon | Twitter

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
Re: Share your weird "I'm an author" stories and interactions
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
Same here, although I wouldn't tell most people anyway.

Only my husband really knows, and when I told him he immediately started a spiel advising me what I should write about and use as source material, even though he doesn't write or even *read* fiction of any kind.

We need a thread about worst advice/story idea you've ever gotten from a non-author.  ;D

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »
Ohhhh, yeah. Me, I only get the unfunny and mean people who bluntly ask me if I'm making any money. Well...no...but I'm still a novelist, dangit!

I would prefer those people, because I can say "Yes, a crapload" with a straight face.

It's the ones who think I should be "published" by someone other than myself that annoy me. I often just tell them my publisher is Reaper Press, which is my LLC.

People shouldn't ask questions if they can't handle the answer.

We need a thread about worst advice/story idea you've ever gotten from a non-author.  ;D

You know how to start a new thread? ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:06:40 PM by David VanDyke »

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Offline ........

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »
At a market a few weeks ago with my children. On a table I see a children's book I wrote back in 2008. The publisher went insolvent about six months later so I never knew how many they published or what happened to them. I point the book out to my daughter - hey, look, a book by ......

The person behind the table overhears this.

"Sorry, is that a coincidence? Amazing!"

"No... I wrote that book. That me. I'm the author."

"... you're the author?"

"Yup. I write books for a living. That's my book from ten years ago."

"... you can write books for a living?"

It was strange... she was sitting behind a table full of books but I think was having a hard time grasping that they were written by real people who were paid real money. Like there was a disconnect in her mind between the products in front of her and their origin.

For my part I was just amazed that something published a decade ago could pop up in a random market.

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »

For my part I was just amazed that something published a decade ago could pop up in a random market.

Do you mean it was sold as new, and that's why it seemed weird?

Because, of course, old used books make the rounds of bookstores, flea markets, and garage sales all the time. When I did some picking in New Hampshire in the 1980s, I found some going back to  the late 1700s--bought one published in 1791, a set of histories published in 1846, etc. Just in boxes in flea markets, for a few bucks apiece.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »

You know how to start a new thread? ;)

On no you don't. I know how this works..  :P  Next thing you know, my 'new' excuse is an obligation to watch the thread rather than getting my word count for the day.... though by the looks of it, everyone is playing Bueller today!!!

Offline ........

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
Do you mean it was sold as new, and that's why it seemed weird?

Because, of course, old used books make the rounds of bookstores, flea markets, and garage sales all the time. When I did some picking in New Hampshire in the 1980s, I found some going back to  the late 1700s--bought one published in 1791, a set of histories published in 1846, etc. Just in boxes in flea markets, for a few bucks apiece.

It was more that the business had gone insolvent not long after I worked with them. I was never told the print run and never found out what happened to all the books. I assume they were remaindered in the end. But I also thought they likely had a low print run due to the publisher financial difficulties.

I'd also heard a lot of their titles were pulped so part of me thought perhaps my books ended up in that.

I guess looking back the publisher probably sold them at some stage and kept my money!

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »
It was more that the business had gone insolvent not long after I worked with them. I was never told the print run and never found out what happened to all the books. I assume they were remaindered in the end. But I also thought they likely had a low print run due to the publisher financial difficulties.

I'd also heard a lot of their titles were pulped so part of me thought perhaps my books ended up in that.

I guess looking back the publisher probably sold them at some stage and kept my money!

Yeah, the only reason for remaindering and pulping is agreements within the old print ecosystem. Probably once bankruptcy was in motion, all bets were off. The court might even have prohibited pulping and required all assets to be sold off.

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2018, 06:12:26 AM »
Oh, at a particular con one year I was invited to do a talk with a fellow author. The venue was out the back somewhere, poorly signposted, and the room was huge. Space for 300+ at least.

All the chairs were vacant except for two people sitting right in the middle, and I can tell you they looked like a couple of dots in a vast empty desert.

The announcer introduced us, and our 'audience' immediately got up, muttering that they were in the wrong hall.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.