Author Topic: Category Pollution: Next Battleground  (Read 8270 times)  

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
Category Pollution: Next Battleground
« on: June 10, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
Just noticed this today. Two weeks ago "Literary Classics" looked as it should. Today:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Fiction-Classics/zgbs/digital-text/157050011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_3_157028011

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
Re: Category Pollution: Next Battleground
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
I just reported them and told Amazon that readers seeking actual classics will have a negative customer experience if all this nonsense is filling up the category.

For all the good it will do.  ::)

Alex A. King | Website

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »
I just reported them and told Amazon that readers seeking actual classics will have a negative customer experience if all this nonsense is filling up the category.

For all the good it will do.  ::)

It's just insane. This isn't something they can monitor and control with tech. As they won't hire humans to do the job, it's up to us to AGGRESSIVELY report this mischief.

Online Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »
The members of Kboards should send them a QC invoice. Be generous with yourselves  :)
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »
The members of Kboards should send them a QC invoice. Be generous with yourselves  :)

Tempting. :D I report stuff in Women's Fiction quite frequently. Impregnated by my Boss's Brother's Bad Boy Butcher's Boss isn't WF. Ditto Spanked By Daddy's Daddy's Daddy.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
This makes me sad.

On the upside, look at The Color Purple and 1984 holding their own!

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 04:10:50 PM »
No doubt the authors are linked via FB groups (or otherwise, such as sharing a PA) and are now dive-bombing new categories having clogged-up their preferred categories elsewhere.

Offline notenoughcoffee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
How do you report a book? I don't see a button for it on the page.

Online Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
A few weeks back I was looking at the "Mashup" category and...well--let's just say the only mashups were between genitalia, maybe.
The Philadelphia Experiment: 80%
Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Offline ceejay13

• Oh Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »

Scroll down, waaay down until you see a light blue box titled 'Feedback'.

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »

Near the bottom of each book's product page is a bluish box labeled "Feed Back" where you can report an issue.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
I've been seeing the same issue in some historical sub-categories for months now. A few determined UF & reverse harem authors are deliberated miscategorizing their books as historical to rank in smaller sub-genres. And before anyone says its accidental because of words in the blurbs, I considered that and looked at the blurbs of the main offenders and there is nothing historical that would account for it. There are some small niches that can only be accessed by inputing the relevant keyword on your dashboard.

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
The religious classics are where it's at. ;)

Offline notenoughcoffee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Near the bottom of each book's product page is a bluish box labeled "Feed Back" where you can report an issue.

Which is the better option? None of these seem to fit "it's in the wrong category"

If you need help or have a question for Customer Service, contact us.
Would you like to report poor quality or formatting in this book? Click here
Would you like to report this content as inappropriate? Click here
Do you believe that this item violates a copyright? Click here

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
Wow, that the page shown, for "classic literature," is absolutely appalling.   :o   :o   :o

So you have to go to one of the books (or all, separately, as the case may be) in order to report something?  I would think the same box would be available on the search page, as well.

In fact, what would be even MORE HELPFUL would be the ability to attach a screenshot of the list of "classic books."
Jena

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »

So you have to go to one of the books (or all, separately, as the case may be) in order to report something? 

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle. I reported four books as "inappropriate" and filled in the text box specifying the content was "inappropriate" for "Literary Classics" and could harm customer experience. We just want them to look at the page.

Edit: And of course see for themselves.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
Wow, the classics look a bit more racy than I recall!  :o

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
Why should any of us bother reporting this?  They don't care.  Amazon doesn't care if their so-called bestseller lists are anything but.  That's been obvious for some time.  No matter the category.  It's not what's selling; it's what's being borrowed or botted, and frequently miscategorized. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:01:58 PM by HSh »

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »
Why should any of us bother reporting this?  They don't care.  Amazon doesn't care if their so-called bestseller lists are anything but.  That's been obvious for some time.  No matter the category.  It's not what's selling; it's what's being borrowed or botted, and frequently miscategorized.

It probably takes less time to report abuse to Amazon than it takes to write a post to KBs.

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
Are they equally productive activities, in your view?  Sorry but I'm very jaded about Amazon.  It's not a slight against you.

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »
Tempting. :D I report stuff in Women's Fiction quite frequently. Impregnated by my Boss's Brother's Bad Boy Butcher's Boss isn't WF. Ditto Spanked By Daddy's Daddy's Daddy.

I thought that sort of thing was Women's Fiction. Written for women, often by women, and purchased predominantly by women. Any time I've looked over the Women's Fiction offerings those sorts of books are always present, and they are often big sellers.

As for the OP, sure looks weird seeing so many erotica-romances listed in Classics. I wonder if they're going to invade the English Lit categories next.

EDIT to ADD:  Question answered. They have. Right below Shakespeare.

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 04:03:09 AM »
I thought that sort of thing was Women's Fiction. Written for women, often by women, and purchased predominantly by women. Any time I've looked over the Women's Fiction offerings those sorts of books are always present, and they are often big sellers.

As for the OP, sure looks weird seeing so many erotica-romances listed in Classics. I wonder if they're going to invade the English Lit categories next.

I've complained to Amazon. It's easy and fast. I suggest others do likewise.
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue and chapter one: 17%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington

Offline LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 04:38:54 AM »

Once upon a time Womens Fiction was stories that followed a female protagonist through a life unheaval or change of some kind. It often had themes of family, career, marriage, divorce, health etc. Who knows what the heck it is these days.

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 04:39:24 AM »
This reminds me of the rise of Google, when all the other search engines were bringing up poor results and they invented PageRank. MmmPie mentioned in the Bonus changes thread that the top 100 in some categories no longer represents the top 100 of readers' choices, because it's all stuffed books.

This situation is going to hurt Amazon, no doubt. But the question is where people are going to go for more accurate recommendations that really reflect popular and enjoyable literature. Kobo needs to more than double its subcategories if it's to provide a better search experience; it's not being gamed, but the categories still aren't deep enough.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline ET

• View Profile
The consistent problem of erotica-romance polluting other categories
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 04:52:36 AM »
If you'll remember, early last year there was a big kerfuffle, when both authors and readers were complaining about romance and erotica titles polluting science fiction categories. Amazon finally stepped in:

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,247857.0.html

This is even a problem in horror, of all things. Search for vampire novels, and you won't get Dracula, Salem's Lot, or I Am Legend. You'll get naked man-chests.

I should also note that I don't view romance/erotica as synonymous with women's fiction, even though both are written primarily by and for women. When I think 'women's fiction', I think 'Jodi Picoult', for example. Or Kristin Hannah. These authors write books that primarily appeal to women, but they aren't writing bodice-ripper romances.

When a cover features a naked man-chest, or a couple embracing, it should (almost always) be in one of the romance/erotica categories.