Author Topic: Amazon's Kindle Storyteller contest  (Read 813 times)  

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
Amazon's Kindle Storyteller contest
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:45:28 AM »
Does anyone know how, or if, the contest works for US submissions or is this limited to the UK? It's listed on my pricing page on KDP, but doesn't have much information to go with it.

This is all I could find so far.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:52:13 AM by Pandorra »
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 54%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Fay

• View Profile
When Hamburgers Fly by Fay Rye Castle

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon's Kindle Storyteller contest
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:03:53 AM »
Am I reading this right? It looks like a "no down-side" contest that just enters you when you publish through KDP as long as you make the book available in the UK. Is that right? It can't be! LOL

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:11:53 AM »
Am I reading this right? It looks like a "no down-side" contest that just enters you when you publish through KDP as long as you make the book available in the UK. Is that right? It can't be! LOL
Entry requirements are relatively low. Winning, of course, is a good deal more difficult.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
You have to put the code in the search category as well... but yeah I think the 'catch' is they get all publishing rights to the winning book according to the rules Fay posted.

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
You have to put the code in the search category as well... but yeah I think the 'catch' is they get all publishing rights to the winning book according to the rules Fay posted.

I'm not sure if that's correct. I read it very carefully. Instead of overall rights, you grant rights for publication in one language other than English. As for overall rights, subsidiary rights, or other format rights, you only have to agree to go into 30 day negotiations in which they get first right to offer. You don't have to accept that offer.

Did anyone see anything other than that?

Of course, giving up a keyword is big when talking about a launch...so...

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
I'm not sure if that's correct. I read it very carefully. Instead of overall rights, you grant rights for publication in one language other than English. As for overall rights, subsidiary rights, or other format rights, you only have to agree to go into 30 day negotiations in which they get first right to offer. You don't have to accept that offer.

Did anyone see anything other than that?

Of course, giving up a keyword is big when talking about a launch...so...

I'm guessing you don't get the 20k if you don't accept the offer?

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »
by submitting your Book in this Competition, if you are selected as a Finalist you grant to Amazon: (a) the exclusive first worldwide publication rights to your Book in all formats and in at least one language other than English as determined by Amazon in its sole discretion; and (b) the exclusive first worldwide publication rights in all formats of your Book, in all other languages, for a period of 30 days after you receive the notification from Sponsor that you are a Finalist. During that 30-day period, you agree to negotiate in good faith the terms and conditions of a publishing agreement with Amazon. If you and Amazon have not reached agreement after 30 days, you will not have any further obligation to Sponsor or its affiliates under this clause (b). If you are not selected as a Finalist, Amazon's exclusive first publication rights to your Book terminate when you are eliminated from the Competition. If you are not selected as a Finalist and Amazon notifies you before you are eliminated for the Competition that it wishes to publish your Book, you agree to negotiate the terms and conditions of a publishing agreement exclusively with Amazon for a period of 30 days after you receive notification from Amazon. If you and Amazon have not reached agreement after 30 days, you may offer the Book to other publishers on the condition that before you enter into an agreement with another publisher, you will afford Amazon the last right to publish your Book on the same terms and conditions offered by any other publisher, plus an advance against royalties 10% greater than the other offer. Amazon must communicate its decision to you within five business days after you have provided written notice of the other publisher's terms and conditions. If Amazon declines or fails to act within that period, you will not have any further obligation to Amazon, and you may publish the Book with another publisher.

So.. kind of .. lol.. for the winner it just says : A publishing agreement with Amazon Publishing granting Amazon the exclusive worldwide publication rights in all formats for a translated edition of the Grand Prize winning Book in at least one language other than English (and at Amazons option, in all other languages), as determined by Amazon in its sole discretion (the Publishing Agreement)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:51:38 AM by Pandorra »

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »
I have several friends that have written LGBT short stories that are too long for most magazines, and too short to be submitted as a novella or novel. I recommended that they self-publish their LGBT shorts during pride month, and add the "storytelleruk2018" as a keyword. I figure the entry requirements are so easy, that they should just do it.

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
30 day exclusive publishing rights for 20K? Yeah..that's a good deal. And since I generally don't get translated because it's a huge hassle, I'm okay with them putting it into another language as a condition of prize.

Online nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Deadish Online
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »

Not much of a down side if you weren't planning to go wide anyway. No previous publication, enrolment in KDP Select during the judging period (so for at least 90 days, if I remember correctly), an automatic English-language publishing contract with Amazon, and automatic 30-day foreign-language worldwide rights to Amazon. For the price of a Kindle Oasis, if you're a finalist. You know, too few people try to bribe me with books.

This is an interesting clause too:
If you are not selected as a Finalist and Amazon notifies you before you are eliminated for the Competition that it wishes to publish your Book, you agree to negotiate the terms and conditions of a publishing agreement exclusively with Amazon for a period of 30 days after you receive notification from Amazon. If you and Amazon have not reached agreement after 30 days, you may offer the Book to other publishers on the condition that before you enter into an agreement with another publisher, you will afford Amazon the last right to publish your Book on the same terms and conditions offered by any other publisher, plus an advance against royalties 10% greater than the other offer.