mblart

Author Topic: Is anyone else having problems with Photoshop since Windows updated?  (Read 2154 times)  

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Since the last Windows 10 update, over which I seem to have no control, Photoshop doesn't work. I'm not alone; I went to a photoshop forum with the problem and found others in the same boat. The fix seemed to be to do something drastic with the registry which I would rather not do.

Does anyone know a way to update manually? I can hopefully do a system restore to get rid of this latest update, but it will only put itself back as soon as I switch off. This has convinced me to get a Mac, but money's short at the moment.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Re: Is anyone else having problems with Photoshop since Windows updated?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
I still use Photoshop Elements 9 and Indesign 5.5, and they're both working fine on the latest Win 10. Maybe as a temporary solution you can find an older version to use?

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Online josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
You can change your Windows update schedule by going to Control Panel-->System and Security-->Windows Update-->Change Settings-->Check for updates but let me choose to download and install

Of course, there's an obvious risk to this if it's a critical update to stop some form of malware but after problems years ago with Windows updates, I've kept my system set to this without any difficulties.

As for the current problem, are you using Photoshop CC? I had a problem with it about a year ago, ended up having to deinstall and reinstall, but that did solve it. 

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:02:23 AM »
I haven't done the latest update yet. (I have it set to notify me and not install. Hate that option, but it's better than it restarting on me all the time.) if there is a widespread problem though, I'm sure there will be an update for photoshop not far behind!

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »
You can change your Windows update schedule by going to Control Panel-->System and Security-->Windows Update-->Change Settings-->Check for updates but let me choose to download and install

Of course, there's an obvious risk to this if it's a critical update to stop some form of malware but after problems years ago with Windows updates, I've kept my system set to this without any difficulties.

As for the current problem, are you using Photoshop CC? I had a problem with it about a year ago, ended up having to deinstall and reinstall, but that did solve it. 
I have photoshop on subscription so it is always the latest one. It started a couple of weeks ago when the quick selection tool wouldn't work, then I found other things wouldn't work. I thought it was my crappy laptop, but I went online and found others with the same problem. I shall have a look. I'd love to be able to choose when to update, as I've always done that with previous versions of Windows.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:02:59 AM by Doglover »

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:22 AM »
I've had a few small to major glitches but usually restarting the program fixes the error, I just have to to a ctrl/alt/del shutdown so I can recover anything I am working on if its frozen. Just figured it was me since I need more ram...
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Online josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
I have photoshop on subscription so it is always the latest one. It started a couple of weeks ago when the quick selection tool wouldn't work, then I found other things would work. I thought it was my crappy laptop, but I went online and found others with the same problem. I shall have a look. I'd love to be able to choose when to update, as I've always done that with previous versions of Windows.

My Adobe CC doesn't update automatically, although I'm not sure why. I do have PS updates waiting but now they're going to wait awhile longer. The quick selection tool problem rings a bell. That's what happened with me and what led me to uninstalling and reinstalling PS.

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
If you're using a graphics tablet, try turning off all the Microsoft Pen and Ink stuff. All of it.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
The latest update added stuff that takes up more computer resources, like their antimalware real-time protection that loaded on mine the 31st of May, and sometimes it slows things down. So does Superfetch. But that's a different thing than the OP is asking about...

As for Photoshop, I don't have that, but my on-computer Kindle Previewer wouldn't load after the update. I was able to find it on the computer and after asking Win10 to troubleshoot it loaded the Previewer in XP mode. It worked fine after that.

Next time I rebooted the computer it started working normally, as it did when I loaded it, in Win10 mode. Weird.

If you haven't done it, you might try turning the computer completly off and cold rebooting. If you are like me you probably let you computer 'sleep' instead of turning it off.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »

I don't have the change settings option. I found another way to the updates and automatic updates are set to off, but they still do it!
My Adobe CC doesn't update automatically, although I'm not sure why. I do have PS updates waiting but now they're going to wait awhile longer. The quick selection tool problem rings a bell. That's what happened with me and what led me to uninstalling and reinstalling PS.
Photoshop doesn't update automatically; it is windows 10 that is the problem.

I've found a way to remove the latest update, so I'll restart and see if that works, but it is bound to come back again. Since Windows 98 when I first started using a personal computer, I've always had windows set to update manually. I hate this thing doing whatever the hell it likes.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 07:04:23 AM »
I've had a few small to major glitches but usually restarting the program fixes the error, I just have to to a ctrl/alt/del shutdown so I can recover anything I am working on if its frozen. Just figured it was me since I need more ram...
It's not freezing up; it just doesn't work. None of the features will do anything. I just get a notice telling me I can't do that because I don't have enough memory.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 07:14:13 AM »
I haven't downloaded the latest update and I guess I'm glad I haven't!

Windows seems to have it out for photoshop/artists. In an earlier update this year, Windows decided to make all digital pens work like a scrolling device. When drawing using my graphics tablet and pen, it worked fine when there was nothing to scroll on the screen... until I zoomed in on the picture for the fine details and I couldn't do anything because it just wanted to scroll.

It took some time (I thought it was my graphics tablet's driver), frustration (nothing was working!), and registry dinking to turn that "feature" off.

Guess I'll hold off on the Windows update until things get fixed.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:20:43 AM »
I haven't downloaded the latest update and I guess I'm glad I haven't!

Windows seems to have it out for photoshop/artists. In an earlier update this year, Windows decided to make all digital pens work like a scrolling device. When drawing using my graphics tablet and pen, it worked fine when there was nothing to scroll on the screen... until I zoomed in on the picture for the fine details and I couldn't do anything because it just wanted to scroll.

It took some time (I thought it was my graphics tablet's driver), frustration (nothing was working!), and registry dinking to turn that "feature" off.

Guess I'll hold off on the Windows update until things get fixed.
I wish I could. I think there must be a different Windows 10 for Americans, because I don't have an option to stop the damned thing. I deleted the latest update, then I had to restart it and of course, it reinstalled all the updates! I seriously hate Windows now with a passion. I don't like anything that thinks for me at the best of times, but this is driving me potty.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and seeing if that helps, although I don't hold out much hope. All I can find is that Photoshop is working on a fix.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
Too bad that Adobe customer support spam message got removed. :P

I'm hoping to bypass Win 10. Although nothing says the next OS will be any better about letting you choose updates vs ramming them through.  :'(

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »

Windows 10 has no such option. They removed any ability to prevent updates from happening when they wanted them to happen.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
I wish I could. I think there must be a different Windows 10 for Americans, because I don't have an option to stop the damned thing. I deleted the latest update, then I had to restart it and of course, it reinstalled all the updates! I seriously hate Windows now with a passion. I don't like anything that thinks for me at the best of times, but this is driving me potty.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and seeing if that helps, although I don't hold out much hope. All I can find is that Photoshop is working on a fix.

That's gotta be frustrating af (as the kids say).

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 07:30:54 AM »
I can't do anything. It is really, really annoying.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 07:34:03 AM »
I can't do anything. It is really, really annoying.

One reason why I never went with any of the subscription software. I'm quite happy with my older versions.

In fact, I really hate things being constantly updated.

Online Issy

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Windows 10 has no such option. They removed any ability to prevent updates from happening when they wanted them to happen.

Is it not still possible to set your network settings to "metered connection"? - that used to prevent huge updates on Window's whim.

Online josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

One reason why I never went with any of the subscription software. I'm quite happy with my older versions.

I still have older versions of Adobe CS but I can't install them again because installation requires an activation key and Adobe is no longer providing those. This ticks me off royally as I "own" these CDs but have no means now of using them. I understand the keys were required to prevent piracy but there was also a tight limit on the total number of activations allowed and I wasn't near that.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

It's not Photoshop updates that is causing the problem; it is Windows updates.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
Is it not still possible to set your network settings to "metered connection"? - that used to prevent huge updates on Window's whim.
It says that it will update even on a metered connection.

Online VanessaC

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
I do not have any practical tips to offer, just sympathy.

I am also UK based and every time I see a Windows 10 update my heart sinks.  Every one of the last major updates has caused a significant issue in my laptop operation - and this is a new (well, new-ish) laptop which started running on Windows 10.

The latest issue for me is to do with dialogue boxes - you know, the ones that pop up saying "are you sure you want to save this" and that kind of thing - they should appear on the front by default but Windows seem to have broken their own design and it's anyone's guess where those pesky boxes appear.  Grrr.

For your issue, hopefully if enough people moan to Microsoft, there will be a fix - if you haven't don't so already, perhaps registering your displeasure with Microsoft might help?

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
I do not have any practical tips to offer, just sympathy.

I am also UK based and every time I see a Windows 10 update my heart sinks.  Every one of the last major updates has caused a significant issue in my laptop operation - and this is a new (well, new-ish) laptop which started running on Windows 10.

The latest issue for me is to do with dialogue boxes - you know, the ones that pop up saying "are you sure you want to save this" and that kind of thing - they should appear on the front by default but Windows seem to have broken their own design and it's anyone's guess where those pesky boxes appear.  Grrr.

For your issue, hopefully if enough people moan to Microsoft, there will be a fix - if you haven't don't so already, perhaps registering your displeasure with Microsoft might help?
It seems that everyone on the Adobe website is waiting for them to offer a fix. I only know I'm sick of it. I just uninstalled photoshop, re-installed it and prayed, but it's still the same. So aggravating. But people who rely on Photoshop, like cover designers, could well be losing a lot of money over this. Perhaps if they all get together and sue Microsoft, it might sink in. But then, who can afford to sue Microsoft?

Mac is the answer for me. Trouble is they are very expensive here. I can get a refurbished one for just under 300 but it is a 2009 model and I'm not convinced that would be a good buy.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »
Isn't there an alternative to photoshop these days?