NetGalley

Author Topic: Is anyone else having problems with Photoshop since Windows updated?  (Read 1616 times)  

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Since the last Windows 10 update, over which I seem to have no control, Photoshop doesn't work. I'm not alone; I went to a photoshop forum with the problem and found others in the same boat. The fix seemed to be to do something drastic with the registry which I would rather not do.

Does anyone know a way to update manually? I can hopefully do a system restore to get rid of this latest update, but it will only put itself back as soon as I switch off. This has convinced me to get a Mac, but money's short at the moment.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Re: Is anyone else having problems with Photoshop since Windows updated?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
I still use Photoshop Elements 9 and Indesign 5.5, and they're both working fine on the latest Win 10. Maybe as a temporary solution you can find an older version to use?

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Online josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
You can change your Windows update schedule by going to Control Panel-->System and Security-->Windows Update-->Change Settings-->Check for updates but let me choose to download and install

Of course, there's an obvious risk to this if it's a critical update to stop some form of malware but after problems years ago with Windows updates, I've kept my system set to this without any difficulties.

As for the current problem, are you using Photoshop CC? I had a problem with it about a year ago, ended up having to deinstall and reinstall, but that did solve it. 

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:02:23 AM »
I haven't done the latest update yet. (I have it set to notify me and not install. Hate that option, but it's better than it restarting on me all the time.) if there is a widespread problem though, I'm sure there will be an update for photoshop not far behind!

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »
You can change your Windows update schedule by going to Control Panel-->System and Security-->Windows Update-->Change Settings-->Check for updates but let me choose to download and install

Of course, there's an obvious risk to this if it's a critical update to stop some form of malware but after problems years ago with Windows updates, I've kept my system set to this without any difficulties.

As for the current problem, are you using Photoshop CC? I had a problem with it about a year ago, ended up having to deinstall and reinstall, but that did solve it. 
I have photoshop on subscription so it is always the latest one. It started a couple of weeks ago when the quick selection tool wouldn't work, then I found other things wouldn't work. I thought it was my crappy laptop, but I went online and found others with the same problem. I shall have a look. I'd love to be able to choose when to update, as I've always done that with previous versions of Windows.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:02:59 AM by Doglover »

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:22 AM »
I've had a few small to major glitches but usually restarting the program fixes the error, I just have to to a ctrl/alt/del shutdown so I can recover anything I am working on if its frozen. Just figured it was me since I need more ram...
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 24%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Online josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
I have photoshop on subscription so it is always the latest one. It started a couple of weeks ago when the quick selection tool wouldn't work, then I found other things would work. I thought it was my crappy laptop, but I went online and found others with the same problem. I shall have a look. I'd love to be able to choose when to update, as I've always done that with previous versions of Windows.

My Adobe CC doesn't update automatically, although I'm not sure why. I do have PS updates waiting but now they're going to wait awhile longer. The quick selection tool problem rings a bell. That's what happened with me and what led me to uninstalling and reinstalling PS.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
If you're using a graphics tablet, try turning off all the Microsoft Pen and Ink stuff. All of it.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
The latest update added stuff that takes up more computer resources, like their antimalware real-time protection that loaded on mine the 31st of May, and sometimes it slows things down. So does Superfetch. But that's a different thing than the OP is asking about...

As for Photoshop, I don't have that, but my on-computer Kindle Previewer wouldn't load after the update. I was able to find it on the computer and after asking Win10 to troubleshoot it loaded the Previewer in XP mode. It worked fine after that.

Next time I rebooted the computer it started working normally, as it did when I loaded it, in Win10 mode. Weird.

If you haven't done it, you might try turning the computer completly off and cold rebooting. If you are like me you probably let you computer 'sleep' instead of turning it off.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »

I don't have the change settings option. I found another way to the updates and automatic updates are set to off, but they still do it!
My Adobe CC doesn't update automatically, although I'm not sure why. I do have PS updates waiting but now they're going to wait awhile longer. The quick selection tool problem rings a bell. That's what happened with me and what led me to uninstalling and reinstalling PS.
Photoshop doesn't update automatically; it is windows 10 that is the problem.

I've found a way to remove the latest update, so I'll restart and see if that works, but it is bound to come back again. Since Windows 98 when I first started using a personal computer, I've always had windows set to update manually. I hate this thing doing whatever the hell it likes.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 07:04:23 AM »
I've had a few small to major glitches but usually restarting the program fixes the error, I just have to to a ctrl/alt/del shutdown so I can recover anything I am working on if its frozen. Just figured it was me since I need more ram...
It's not freezing up; it just doesn't work. None of the features will do anything. I just get a notice telling me I can't do that because I don't have enough memory.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 07:14:13 AM »
I haven't downloaded the latest update and I guess I'm glad I haven't!

Windows seems to have it out for photoshop/artists. In an earlier update this year, Windows decided to make all digital pens work like a scrolling device. When drawing using my graphics tablet and pen, it worked fine when there was nothing to scroll on the screen... until I zoomed in on the picture for the fine details and I couldn't do anything because it just wanted to scroll.

It took some time (I thought it was my graphics tablet's driver), frustration (nothing was working!), and registry dinking to turn that "feature" off.

Guess I'll hold off on the Windows update until things get fixed.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:20:43 AM »
I haven't downloaded the latest update and I guess I'm glad I haven't!

Windows seems to have it out for photoshop/artists. In an earlier update this year, Windows decided to make all digital pens work like a scrolling device. When drawing using my graphics tablet and pen, it worked fine when there was nothing to scroll on the screen... until I zoomed in on the picture for the fine details and I couldn't do anything because it just wanted to scroll.

It took some time (I thought it was my graphics tablet's driver), frustration (nothing was working!), and registry dinking to turn that "feature" off.

Guess I'll hold off on the Windows update until things get fixed.
I wish I could. I think there must be a different Windows 10 for Americans, because I don't have an option to stop the damned thing. I deleted the latest update, then I had to restart it and of course, it reinstalled all the updates! I seriously hate Windows now with a passion. I don't like anything that thinks for me at the best of times, but this is driving me potty.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and seeing if that helps, although I don't hold out much hope. All I can find is that Photoshop is working on a fix.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
Too bad that Adobe customer support spam message got removed. :P

I'm hoping to bypass Win 10. Although nothing says the next OS will be any better about letting you choose updates vs ramming them through.  :'(

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »

Windows 10 has no such option. They removed any ability to prevent updates from happening when they wanted them to happen.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
I wish I could. I think there must be a different Windows 10 for Americans, because I don't have an option to stop the damned thing. I deleted the latest update, then I had to restart it and of course, it reinstalled all the updates! I seriously hate Windows now with a passion. I don't like anything that thinks for me at the best of times, but this is driving me potty.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and seeing if that helps, although I don't hold out much hope. All I can find is that Photoshop is working on a fix.

That's gotta be frustrating af (as the kids say).

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 07:30:54 AM »
I can't do anything. It is really, really annoying.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 07:34:03 AM »
I can't do anything. It is really, really annoying.

One reason why I never went with any of the subscription software. I'm quite happy with my older versions.

In fact, I really hate things being constantly updated.

Offline Issy

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Windows 10 has no such option. They removed any ability to prevent updates from happening when they wanted them to happen.

Is it not still possible to set your network settings to "metered connection"? - that used to prevent huge updates on Window's whim.

Online josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

One reason why I never went with any of the subscription software. I'm quite happy with my older versions.

I still have older versions of Adobe CS but I can't install them again because installation requires an activation key and Adobe is no longer providing those. This ticks me off royally as I "own" these CDs but have no means now of using them. I understand the keys were required to prevent piracy but there was also a tight limit on the total number of activations allowed and I wasn't near that.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

It's not Photoshop updates that is causing the problem; it is Windows updates.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
Is it not still possible to set your network settings to "metered connection"? - that used to prevent huge updates on Window's whim.
It says that it will update even on a metered connection.

Offline VanessaC

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
I do not have any practical tips to offer, just sympathy.

I am also UK based and every time I see a Windows 10 update my heart sinks.  Every one of the last major updates has caused a significant issue in my laptop operation - and this is a new (well, new-ish) laptop which started running on Windows 10.

The latest issue for me is to do with dialogue boxes - you know, the ones that pop up saying "are you sure you want to save this" and that kind of thing - they should appear on the front by default but Windows seem to have broken their own design and it's anyone's guess where those pesky boxes appear.  Grrr.

For your issue, hopefully if enough people moan to Microsoft, there will be a fix - if you haven't don't so already, perhaps registering your displeasure with Microsoft might help?

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
I do not have any practical tips to offer, just sympathy.

I am also UK based and every time I see a Windows 10 update my heart sinks.  Every one of the last major updates has caused a significant issue in my laptop operation - and this is a new (well, new-ish) laptop which started running on Windows 10.

The latest issue for me is to do with dialogue boxes - you know, the ones that pop up saying "are you sure you want to save this" and that kind of thing - they should appear on the front by default but Windows seem to have broken their own design and it's anyone's guess where those pesky boxes appear.  Grrr.

For your issue, hopefully if enough people moan to Microsoft, there will be a fix - if you haven't don't so already, perhaps registering your displeasure with Microsoft might help?
It seems that everyone on the Adobe website is waiting for them to offer a fix. I only know I'm sick of it. I just uninstalled photoshop, re-installed it and prayed, but it's still the same. So aggravating. But people who rely on Photoshop, like cover designers, could well be losing a lot of money over this. Perhaps if they all get together and sue Microsoft, it might sink in. But then, who can afford to sue Microsoft?

Mac is the answer for me. Trouble is they are very expensive here. I can get a refurbished one for just under 300 but it is a 2009 model and I'm not convinced that would be a good buy.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »
Isn't there an alternative to photoshop these days?

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »

There's always GIMP, which I found really confusing (probably because I'm used to Photoshop): https://www.gimp.org/

And there's Pixlr, which I'm more excited about, because it looks very, very similar to Photoshop. There really aren't any directions on the site, but there are tons of YouTube videos with instructions for those unfamiliar with Photoshop.  https://pixlr.com/editor/

I have a very old version of Photoshop, so I'm keeping Pixlr bookmarked in case it dies.

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering letting my Windows update, but since it would take too much time to unblock and re-enable everything I had to block to stop it from updating automatically whenever it wants, I've been postponing it. I don't want to lose Photoshop, especially because Windows won't even let me edit the registry anymore. ::) Soon I'll have to hack into my own computer.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline AnnaB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
Since the last Windows 10 update, over which I seem to have no control, Photoshop doesn't work. I'm not alone; I went to a photoshop forum with the problem and found others in the same boat. The fix seemed to be to do something drastic with the registry which I would rather not do.

Does anyone know a way to update manually? I can hopefully do a system restore to get rid of this latest update, but it will only put itself back as soon as I switch off. This has convinced me to get a Mac, but money's short at the moment.

What is your Photoshop doing ? Just silently not starting when it should launch ?

If so I had a similar problem with an older version of Paint Shop Pro on my laptop that turned out to be due to Intel onboard graphic drivers apparently not playing nice at least for the time being.

The workaround was to right-click the shortcut or the executable and find the option to force use of the discrete graphic card.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:58:02 PM by AnnaB »

Offline P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »

I'm still learning both of these, using a Cintiq 13HD pen display (which is freaking amazing), but tend to use my 20 year old PS LE and a Wacom Bamboo more.

Affinity Photo

$49 - no subscription. This is super powerful, but still not quite PS - mainly lacking filters. Figuring out where everything is located takes some getting used to as well. They have an Illustrator version for the same price.

Clip Studio

$49 (runs specials frequently, used to be called Manga Studio). It's a great painting program, but a fantastic drawing program, worth checking out. According to the internet, Fiona Staples uses it for inking, before coloring in PS.

eta: Affinity link was wonky, feel free to google it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:24:05 PM by P.J. Post »

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 12:05:29 AM »
Yes, there's Gimp which I never could understand and it doesn't do everything I need. I used to use Roxio Photosuite for a lot of things, but I did a system restore ages ago in the hope of making my DVD writer work again. It didn't so now I can't install anything via a disc. I'm going to try to get through to Adobe customer service this morning and see if there's anything in the wind. I know I'm not alone, which does hold much comfort, but still.

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 12:14:29 AM »
I still have older versions of Adobe CS but I can't install them again because installation requires an activation key and Adobe is no longer providing those. This ticks me off royally as I "own" these CDs but have no means now of using them. I understand the keys were required to prevent piracy but there was also a tight limit on the total number of activations allowed and I wasn't near that.

The activation key should be on the CD sleeve or on the documentation. It was never something Adobe stored for you, you were supposed to save it. It may also be in the About menu of installed programs. If you're talking about online activations, that's different. Those will work as long as the activation server is online. Adobe's record on that isn't too great. But as long the program itself is activated with your saved key, you don't actually need the online activation. All you have to do is block the app from getting onto the Internet and checking the server. If the app detects it's offline, it will just let you use the app. There's only trouble when it does get on the Internet and then can't find the server.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering letting my Windows update, but since it would take too much time to unblock and re-enable everything I had to block to stop it from updating automatically whenever it wants, I've been postponing it. I don't want to lose Photoshop, especially because Windows won't even let me edit the registry anymore. ::) Soon I'll have to hack into my own computer.
But how did you stop it? I can't find any way to stop it updating. I deleted the last update, then it told me I'd need to restart for my deletion to take effect. But, of course, when I restarted it automatically updated again!

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 12:36:13 AM »
What is your Photoshop doing ? Just silently not starting when it should launch ?

If so I had a similar problem with an older version of Paint Shop Pro on my laptop that turned out to be due to Intel onboard graphic drivers apparently not playing nice at least for the time being.

The workaround was to right-click the shortcut or the executable and find the option to force use of the discrete graphic card.
No, it will still open and will open photographs. I can even put text on those photographs. What it won't do is anything else, like quick selection, free transform etc. I haven't tried all the features, of course, but I went onto the photoshop forum and apparently most people cannot save anything. When I try to do anything it comes up with a little box that tells me I can't use that feature because I don't have enough RAM.

I thought it was my crappy laptop until I went on the forum. Everyone is saying it is happening since Windows 10 did it's latest, unwanted, updated.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 12:38:08 AM »
But how did you stop it? I can't find any way to stop it updating. I deleted the last update, then it told me I'd need to restart for my deletion to take effect. But, of course, when I restarted it automatically updated again!

You cant stop win 10

Microsoft in its infinite insanity got sick of people not doing the updates and then having huge problems. So they decided to make updates automatic.

The whole reason they gave win10 to everyone free, was to force everyone into auto-updating.

Not everyone took them up on it, but all new computers have it now.

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 01:16:39 AM »
How much space do you have left on your hard drive? How much RAM does your computer have? If it's a memory error, it's probably one of those two that is the problem.

You definitely can still turn off updates. My computer sends me a message when there is an update, and I have to click it to install. It may be a windows pro setting though, not in the home edition (or whatever they call it now). What you can't do is have it download and install, then finish installing next time you restart.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 01:30:07 AM »
How much space do you have left on your hard drive? How much RAM does your computer have? If it's a memory error, it's probably one of those two that is the problem.

You definitely can still turn off updates. My computer sends me a message when there is an update, and I have to click it to install. It may be a windows pro setting though, not in the home edition (or whatever they call it now). What you can't do is have it download and install, then finish installing next time you restart.
I got onto Adobe chat, who confirmed it is a known problem after the latest Windows 10 update. I had to give her remote access to my computer, which was quite fascinating, but she went into the registry and fixed it. So, it works now!

If you have a way to stop Windows 10 home edition (which is what I have) from updating, please do share. I have looked everywhere, been all over the internet but it seems it cannot be done. I am just relieved to have photoshop back now, but I'm definitely getting a Mac next time.

Online DarkScribe

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 03:17:11 AM »
I got onto Adobe chat, who confirmed it is a known problem after the latest Windows 10 update. I had to give her remote access to my computer, which was quite fascinating, but she went into the registry and fixed it. So, it works now!

If you have a way to stop Windows 10 home edition (which is what I have) from updating, please do share. I have looked everywhere, been all over the internet but it seems it cannot be done. I am just relieved to have photoshop back now, but I'm definitely getting a Mac next time.
You can stop all Windows 10 versions from updating by blocking windows server sites using your router. Most routers have the capability to block access from specific websites - usually so you can protect your children - but that can also be used to block any site including Microsoft. Most people I know do this and only allow updates (re-enable the site) once a new release has been around for long enough to ensure that it doesn't create problems.

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »

With my firewall and NetLimiter. Now my computer can't connect to the update servers. I might have gone a little overboard with blocking, because a few websites won't open anymore, but they're not important to me. I also disabled some things in Services, but most of those just re-enable themselves.

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Online trakka

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »
I have installed the Windows 10 update and use Photoshop without issue, but I have 8GB RAM, so memory is not an issue. It seems anyone using 4GB and under are having issues. I am glad that Adobe helped you.

A couple of alternatives for future reference. Paint.net is free and has a lot of the same functions as PSD. Many people are moving to Affinity Desinger as it is a one off fee (US$50] and can import and export PSD files.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
It seems anyone using 4GB and under are having issues.

With win10?  :o 4gb?  :o :o :o Graphics programs on win10 with only 4gb?  :o :o :o :o :o :o

With win8, I moved to a minimum of 8gb, but this is a tablet, and there wasn't a higher option. My only win10 system is a desktop for gaming, and has 16gb.

I wouldn't even try to run Photoshop on less than 8gb, especially in win10.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
With win10?  :o 4gb?  :o :o :o Graphics programs on win10 with only 4gb?  :o :o :o :o :o :o

With win8, I moved to a minimum of 8gb, but this is a tablet, and there wasn't a higher option. My only win10 system is a desktop for gaming, and has 16gb.

I wouldn't even try to run Photoshop on less than 8gb, especially in win10.

You are quite right of course. But as I have said on many occasions, this laptop is of the crappier variety. It even has a celeron processor, but it was all I could afford at the time. I'm hoping it'll last till I can afford a lot better.

Online trakka

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »
A lot of people have older computers because they can't afford to update and many people do not know how much memory Windows 10 requires for basic stuff. Microsoft pushed the upgrade to Windows 10 pretty hard, but didn't go into the details.

I have 8GB on my laptop and 16GB on my desktop. I agree that really 8GB should be the minimum for any purchasing a new computer. It is very easy to upgrade the RAM in a lot of laptops and often much cheaper.  Lots of videos available on Youtube to show you how for different models. A lot of specialist computer stores can help you pick out the right RAM for your computer if you give them the model number. My Dad has an older computer with a processor that is not the best, but I added another 4GB of RAM from an old laptop to make it a total of 8GB (would of cost me around $100 to buy new) and it now can run Photoshop and some games.

DogLover - are you in the UK?

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
I use Photoshop CC, and had the Windows 10 update recently. No problems here.

Offline P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
Many people are moving to Affinity Desinger as it is a one off fee (US$50] and can import and export PSD files.

Just to clarify, if I'm not mistaken, Affinity Designer is the Illustrator version, Affinity Photo is the Photoshop equivalent, same price.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 05:07:49 PM »
No, it will still open and will open photographs. I can even put text on those photographs. What it won't do is anything else, like quick selection, free transform etc. I haven't tried all the features, of course, but I went onto the photoshop forum and apparently most people cannot save anything. When I try to do anything it comes up with a little box that tells me I can't use that feature because I don't have enough RAM.

I thought it was my crappy laptop until I went on the forum. Everyone is saying it is happening since Windows 10 did it's latest, unwanted, updated.

Windows 10 update can be turned off in your processes, but it will turn itself back on automatically. Basically, it is an OS that is designed to prevent you from using your applications and/or your machine. It was the machine in my case. Every time I wanted to use it for an hour, it spent that hour downloading updates I didn't want no matter what setting I had it on. This made the machine too slow to use.

However, you can turn the updates off and prevent them from being turned back on by following the instructions found here. You don't have to enter your registry, although I would print that out for your future reference in case you ever need to undo it.

See the first reply on this page:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-windows-update-keeps-turning-it-self/323c832e-119f-4552-8641-474acbd3dcff

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
See the first reply on this page:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-windows-update-keeps-turning-it-self/323c832e-119f-4552-8641-474acbd3dcff

This was one of the things I tried, but after 2 or 3 restarts, it fixed itself somehow and turned the updates back on.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
I don't have any advice or suggestions, I'm afraid.  All I have is my own data point for anyone who's interested: I use Photoshop Elements 6, and I haven't had any problems with the latest Windows 10 update.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »
This was one of the things I tried, but after 2 or 3 restarts, it fixed itself somehow and turned the updates back on.

It can't turn itself back on if you complete the steps in the doc:

Select Log on as: This account:  .\Guest
Leave password blank

There is no such account, and once the process is set to run under that account, it can't do it. There's no way that Windows is changing the accounts your processes run under. You may want to check that you entered it with .\ instead of just Guest, as that account could exist on your machine.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2018, 11:50:04 PM »
A lot of people have older computers because they can't afford to update and many people do not know how much memory Windows 10 requires for basic stuff. Microsoft pushed the upgrade to Windows 10 pretty hard, but didn't go into the details.

I have 8GB on my laptop and 16GB on my desktop. I agree that really 8GB should be the minimum for any purchasing a new computer. It is very easy to upgrade the RAM in a lot of laptops and often much cheaper.  Lots of videos available on Youtube to show you how for different models. A lot of specialist computer stores can help you pick out the right RAM for your computer if you give them the model number. My Dad has an older computer with a processor that is not the best, but I added another 4GB of RAM from an old laptop to make it a total of 8GB (would of cost me around $100 to buy new) and it now can run Photoshop and some games.

DogLover - are you in the UK?
Yes, I'm in the UK. This laptop is only about two years old but at the time my old one suddenly died and it was all I could afford. It has only 4 gb memory, 350 gb hard drive and a crappy intel celeron processor. I enquired recently about upgrading the memory but was told it would cost more than it was worth.

Always, when I set out to buy a machine, I start with the best processor. That usually comes with the higher memory. But this time I couldn't do that.

I had Windows 8 briefly, which I absolutely hated, but not on this machine; this one came with 10.

Anyway, I'll look at the links provided and see what I can do. The laptop's getting slower and slower because of the continual updates and Photoshop has been very slow for a while.

Thanks for all the help.

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:02 AM »
It can't turn itself back on if you complete the steps in the doc:

Select Log on as: This account:  .\Guest
Leave password blank

There is no such account, and once the process is set to run under that account, it can't do it. There's no way that Windows is changing the accounts your processes run under. You may want to check that you entered it with .\ instead of just Guest, as that account could exist on your machine.

Like I said, it was fine until I restarted it 2 or 3 times, then it reverted my changes. Maybe this works on a different version of Windows, but nothing except blocking the access to the update servers works for me, and I tried a lot of things. Only a few months ago, before a certain update, if I disabled a few things in Services, that was enough to stop it and it never turned itself back on, but now it can re-enable or fix anything I do. I believe that's because of a process called Update Orchestrator Service that can't be disabled or stopped from running automatically and that I didn't use to have on my computer before, so I guess when it encounters an error, it has the ability to revert any changes that are causing it, including deleting the .\Guest thing.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 06:33:28 AM »
Like I said, it was fine until I restarted it 2 or 3 times, then it reverted my changes. Maybe this works on a different version of Windows, but nothing except blocking the access to the update servers works for me, and I tried a lot of things. Only a few months ago, before a certain update, if I disabled a few things in Services, that was enough to stop it and it never turned itself back on, but now it can re-enable or fix anything I do. I believe that's because of a process called Update Orchestrator Service that can't be disabled or stopped from running automatically and that I didn't use to have on my computer before, so I guess when it encounters an error, it has the ability to revert any changes that are causing it, including deleting the .\Guest thing.

I haven't used this method to uninstall the Win 10 update assistant, but it might work for you, and then you can apply the original fix again. The instructions are the in the method listed as "Way 2":

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-stop-windows-10-update/

What really irks me is that they mess with people's livelihoods and just don't care. Until I got the problem solved permanently, I missed out on hours of writing while my machine was completely disabled by their constant updates.

Previously, I'd set my WiFi connection to metered and that stopped it. But they turn that off now, too, without any notification to the user. So people who really are on metered connections are getting big bills thanks to their tech overlord.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:44 AM »
Yes, I'm in the UK. This laptop is only about two years old but at the time my old one suddenly died and it was all I could afford. It has only 4 gb memory, 350 gb hard drive and a crappy intel celeron processor. I enquired recently about upgrading the memory but was told it would cost more than it was worth.

Always, when I set out to buy a machine, I start with the best processor. That usually comes with the higher memory. But this time I couldn't do that.

I had Windows 8 briefly, which I absolutely hated, but not on this machine; this one came with 10.

Anyway, I'll look at the links provided and see what I can do. The laptop's getting slower and slower because of the continual updates and Photoshop has been very slow for a while.

Thanks for all the help.

I have a medium variety laptop with 4 gb RAM. My computer sometimes slows after launching. It's Superfetch and sometimes the Win10 antimalware being active -- the antimalware is a real-time protection from MS that loaded or updated at the end of May. Those two tasks alone will eat up a lot of RAM and CPU time and even take up your disk time. Superfetch is used by Win10 to make your programs more instant when you launch them; the antimalware is a real-time resource that comes and goes with its activity, depending on what it 'sees'. Sometimes it's barely present. As one guy online said, when it's really active it's probably when you need it to be active.

You can find out which apps are hogging the memory and CPU time by using Task Manager, obviously. If you try to launch Task Manager during a computer slowdown it will take time to launch. But it will tell you what the memory eating programs and services are.

An aside: MS Edge eats up more RAM and than the old IE (which is still on most MS OS computers. You just have to find it in the programs folder on the C drive). I found out that IE uses half the memory that Edge does. I use IE unless I'm not certain about a website and want to block cookies, and with Edge it's much easier for that. But IE is a quicker browser, if you are using Edge you may want to switch to IE for some things, especially if your comp is bogging down a lot on websites while using Edge.

As another person mentioned here, Paint.net works well for a lot of things. I've made covers with it, and edited photos OK. It has a lot more features than I use, so it's probably a good program. It's also free.

As for me, I am living with the updates. Can't say I jump for joy when the comp slows when they are loading. I have them timed to do their thing when I'm not at the computer and the computer is in sleep mode.

Good luck with your computer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:35:24 AM by jb1111 »

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
I have a medium variety laptop with 4 gb RAM. My computer sometimes slows after launching. It's Superfetch and sometimes the Win10 antimalware being active -- the antimalware is a real-time protection from MS that loaded or updated at the end of May. Those two tasks alone will eat up a lot of RAM and CPU time and even take up your disk time. Superfetch is used by Win10 to make your programs more instant when you launch them; the antimalware is a real-time resource that comes and goes with its activity, depending on what it 'sees'. Sometimes it's barely present. As one guy online said, when it's really active it's probably when you need it to be active.

You can find out which apps are hogging the memory and CPU time by using Task Manager, obviously. If you try to launch Task Manager during a computer slowdown it will take time to launch. But it will tell you what the memory eating programs and services are.

An aside: MS Edge eats up more RAM and than the old IE (which is still on most MS OS computers. You just have to find it in the programs folder on the C drive). I found out that IE uses half the memory that Edge does. I use IE unless I'm not certain about a website and want to block cookies, and with Edge it's much easier for that. But IE is a quicker browser, if you are using Edge you may want to switch to IE for some things, especially if your comp is bogging down a lot on websites while using Edge.

As another person mentioned here, Paint.net works well for a lot of things. I've made covers with it, and edited photos OK. It has a lot more features than I use, so it's probably a good program. It's also free.

As for me, I am living with the updates. Can't say I jump for joy when the comp slows when they are loading. I have them timed to do their thing when I'm not at the computer and the computer is in sleep mode.

Good luck with your computer.
I have Edge on my machine, but I rarely use it. I use Chrome, but for some reason I cannot sign into Amazon to do any edits on the bookshelf. For that I have to use Edge as it's the only other thing there.

I have a serious problem with machines that want to do things for me and I consider Windows 10 updates, with no user consent, to be an intrusion. I won't even use cruise control! I think Microsoft have just gone too far with this, as earlier version were easier all round. It was easier to find things without having to look in every folder individually and I've had to make folders on the hard drive to stop it from stealing stuff and dumping it on the Cloud.

Definitely getting a Mac next time.

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »
I haven't used this method to uninstall the Win 10 update assistant, but it might work for you, and then you can apply the original fix again. The instructions are the in the method listed as "Way 2":

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-stop-windows-10-update/

Thanks, but I can't find the update assistant, so I can't uninstall it. Besides, I don't want to block updates forever, and I'm sure it would probably reinstall itself eventually. My firewall does the job for now, so I'll stick to that.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
Didn't someone sue Microsoft for installing W10 without asking?  Maybe a class action from everyone suffering these horrors  :o.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »
After getting photoshop more or less fixed (the quick selection tool is still playing silly beggars) when I went to shut down my laptop last night, it wanted to update. Terror struck my heart! So I just closed the lid and left it to sleep. Now do I never shut it down for fear of it updating? I don't usually leave it sleeping as I've found that doesn't do it any good in the past. Of course, that was a long time in the past (around Windows 98) so it might not be an issue nowadays.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2018, 03:47:20 AM »
After getting photoshop more or less fixed (the quick selection tool is still playing silly beggars) when I went to shut down my laptop last night, it wanted to update. Terror struck my heart! So I just closed the lid and left it to sleep. Now do I never shut it down for fear of it updating? I don't usually leave it sleeping as I've found that doesn't do it any good in the past. Of course, that was a long time in the past (around Windows 98) so it might not be an issue nowadays.

Remember -- sometimes the update may fix the issue that caused the program glitch in the first place.

I think that's what happened with me when my Kindle Previewer disappeared. Then acted completely normal next time I rebooted the machine, and noticed there was a small update that occurred overnight when I was sleeping (and the computer was in sleep mode). Kindle Previewer still works perfectly.

As for Macs, I know people swear by them. My boss has a MacBook. I can't figure out how to use it and find anything on it. Trying to find even simple programs is a laborious process. They are supposedly intuitive, but even compared to Win10 they just don't seem to be logical. Maybe it's just me. I used to work with a Mac in the late 90's and early 00's (it was a G2). Sometimes it was very cool. Other times, a real hassle.

Good luck either way.

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »
Yup I had the same problem. Selection has become really buggy, and even opening files, the screen sometimes goes blank and everything is stuck.

My only way around it was to change the settings in preferences for graphics handling to Basic and unclick GUI. Then I had to create more space on my hard drive so the scratch disk isn't running out of room. Things are working more or less now, though quick select is still glitchy.

I also need to update my driver for my video card as they released something new about a week ago. I suspect this will alleviate part of the problem.

Heather Hamilton-Senter | Book Cover Artistry

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
It's Superfetch

It's funny how something that's supposed to help speed up productivity on your computer can drag it down sooooo much.

Online CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
No Photoshop issues, but the latest Windows update messed up all my Excel sheets, which I use for sales and wordcount tracking.

Cora Buhlert | Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram | [url=http://www.pint