Author Topic: Is anyone else having problems with Photoshop since Windows updated?  (Read 2481 times)  

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else having problems with Photoshop since Windows updated?
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 06:33:28 AM »
Like I said, it was fine until I restarted it 2 or 3 times, then it reverted my changes. Maybe this works on a different version of Windows, but nothing except blocking the access to the update servers works for me, and I tried a lot of things. Only a few months ago, before a certain update, if I disabled a few things in Services, that was enough to stop it and it never turned itself back on, but now it can re-enable or fix anything I do. I believe that's because of a process called Update Orchestrator Service that can't be disabled or stopped from running automatically and that I didn't use to have on my computer before, so I guess when it encounters an error, it has the ability to revert any changes that are causing it, including deleting the .\Guest thing.

I haven't used this method to uninstall the Win 10 update assistant, but it might work for you, and then you can apply the original fix again. The instructions are the in the method listed as "Way 2":

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-stop-windows-10-update/

What really irks me is that they mess with people's livelihoods and just don't care. Until I got the problem solved permanently, I missed out on hours of writing while my machine was completely disabled by their constant updates.

Previously, I'd set my WiFi connection to metered and that stopped it. But they turn that off now, too, without any notification to the user. So people who really are on metered connections are getting big bills thanks to their tech overlord.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:44 AM »
Yes, I'm in the UK. This laptop is only about two years old but at the time my old one suddenly died and it was all I could afford. It has only 4 gb memory, 350 gb hard drive and a crappy intel celeron processor. I enquired recently about upgrading the memory but was told it would cost more than it was worth.

Always, when I set out to buy a machine, I start with the best processor. That usually comes with the higher memory. But this time I couldn't do that.

I had Windows 8 briefly, which I absolutely hated, but not on this machine; this one came with 10.

Anyway, I'll look at the links provided and see what I can do. The laptop's getting slower and slower because of the continual updates and Photoshop has been very slow for a while.

Thanks for all the help.

I have a medium variety laptop with 4 gb RAM. My computer sometimes slows after launching. It's Superfetch and sometimes the Win10 antimalware being active -- the antimalware is a real-time protection from MS that loaded or updated at the end of May. Those two tasks alone will eat up a lot of RAM and CPU time and even take up your disk time. Superfetch is used by Win10 to make your programs more instant when you launch them; the antimalware is a real-time resource that comes and goes with its activity, depending on what it 'sees'. Sometimes it's barely present. As one guy online said, when it's really active it's probably when you need it to be active.

You can find out which apps are hogging the memory and CPU time by using Task Manager, obviously. If you try to launch Task Manager during a computer slowdown it will take time to launch. But it will tell you what the memory eating programs and services are.

An aside: MS Edge eats up more RAM and than the old IE (which is still on most MS OS computers. You just have to find it in the programs folder on the C drive). I found out that IE uses half the memory that Edge does. I use IE unless I'm not certain about a website and want to block cookies, and with Edge it's much easier for that. But IE is a quicker browser, if you are using Edge you may want to switch to IE for some things, especially if your comp is bogging down a lot on websites while using Edge.

As another person mentioned here, Paint.net works well for a lot of things. I've made covers with it, and edited photos OK. It has a lot more features than I use, so it's probably a good program. It's also free.

As for me, I am living with the updates. Can't say I jump for joy when the comp slows when they are loading. I have them timed to do their thing when I'm not at the computer and the computer is in sleep mode.

Good luck with your computer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:35:24 AM by jb1111 »

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
I have a medium variety laptop with 4 gb RAM. My computer sometimes slows after launching. It's Superfetch and sometimes the Win10 antimalware being active -- the antimalware is a real-time protection from MS that loaded or updated at the end of May. Those two tasks alone will eat up a lot of RAM and CPU time and even take up your disk time. Superfetch is used by Win10 to make your programs more instant when you launch them; the antimalware is a real-time resource that comes and goes with its activity, depending on what it 'sees'. Sometimes it's barely present. As one guy online said, when it's really active it's probably when you need it to be active.

You can find out which apps are hogging the memory and CPU time by using Task Manager, obviously. If you try to launch Task Manager during a computer slowdown it will take time to launch. But it will tell you what the memory eating programs and services are.

An aside: MS Edge eats up more RAM and than the old IE (which is still on most MS OS computers. You just have to find it in the programs folder on the C drive). I found out that IE uses half the memory that Edge does. I use IE unless I'm not certain about a website and want to block cookies, and with Edge it's much easier for that. But IE is a quicker browser, if you are using Edge you may want to switch to IE for some things, especially if your comp is bogging down a lot on websites while using Edge.

As another person mentioned here, Paint.net works well for a lot of things. I've made covers with it, and edited photos OK. It has a lot more features than I use, so it's probably a good program. It's also free.

As for me, I am living with the updates. Can't say I jump for joy when the comp slows when they are loading. I have them timed to do their thing when I'm not at the computer and the computer is in sleep mode.

Good luck with your computer.
I have Edge on my machine, but I rarely use it. I use Chrome, but for some reason I cannot sign into Amazon to do any edits on the bookshelf. For that I have to use Edge as it's the only other thing there.

I have a serious problem with machines that want to do things for me and I consider Windows 10 updates, with no user consent, to be an intrusion. I won't even use cruise control! I think Microsoft have just gone too far with this, as earlier version were easier all round. It was easier to find things without having to look in every folder individually and I've had to make folders on the hard drive to stop it from stealing stuff and dumping it on the Cloud.

Definitely getting a Mac next time.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »
I haven't used this method to uninstall the Win 10 update assistant, but it might work for you, and then you can apply the original fix again. The instructions are the in the method listed as "Way 2":

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-stop-windows-10-update/

Thanks, but I can't find the update assistant, so I can't uninstall it. Besides, I don't want to block updates forever, and I'm sure it would probably reinstall itself eventually. My firewall does the job for now, so I'll stick to that.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
Didn't someone sue Microsoft for installing W10 without asking?  Maybe a class action from everyone suffering these horrors  :o.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »
After getting photoshop more or less fixed (the quick selection tool is still playing silly beggars) when I went to shut down my laptop last night, it wanted to update. Terror struck my heart! So I just closed the lid and left it to sleep. Now do I never shut it down for fear of it updating? I don't usually leave it sleeping as I've found that doesn't do it any good in the past. Of course, that was a long time in the past (around Windows 98) so it might not be an issue nowadays.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2018, 03:47:20 AM »
After getting photoshop more or less fixed (the quick selection tool is still playing silly beggars) when I went to shut down my laptop last night, it wanted to update. Terror struck my heart! So I just closed the lid and left it to sleep. Now do I never shut it down for fear of it updating? I don't usually leave it sleeping as I've found that doesn't do it any good in the past. Of course, that was a long time in the past (around Windows 98) so it might not be an issue nowadays.

Remember -- sometimes the update may fix the issue that caused the program glitch in the first place.

I think that's what happened with me when my Kindle Previewer disappeared. Then acted completely normal next time I rebooted the machine, and noticed there was a small update that occurred overnight when I was sleeping (and the computer was in sleep mode). Kindle Previewer still works perfectly.

As for Macs, I know people swear by them. My boss has a MacBook. I can't figure out how to use it and find anything on it. Trying to find even simple programs is a laborious process. They are supposedly intuitive, but even compared to Win10 they just don't seem to be logical. Maybe it's just me. I used to work with a Mac in the late 90's and early 00's (it was a G2). Sometimes it was very cool. Other times, a real hassle.

Good luck either way.

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »
Yup I had the same problem. Selection has become really buggy, and even opening files, the screen sometimes goes blank and everything is stuck.

My only way around it was to change the settings in preferences for graphics handling to Basic and unclick GUI. Then I had to create more space on my hard drive so the scratch disk isn't running out of room. Things are working more or less now, though quick select is still glitchy.

I also need to update my driver for my video card as they released something new about a week ago. I suspect this will alleviate part of the problem.

Heather Hamilton-Senter | Book Cover Artistry

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
It's Superfetch

It's funny how something that's supposed to help speed up productivity on your computer can drag it down sooooo much.

Online CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
No Photoshop issues, but the latest Windows update messed up all my Excel sheets, which I use for sales and wordcount tracking.

Cora Buhlert | Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram | [url=http://www.pint

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
Previously, I'd set my WiFi connection to metered and that stopped it. But they turn that off now, too, without any notification to the user.

The metered trick is still working for me:

Both Photoshop and Windows are as robust as a toy poodle with IBS.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
It's funny how something that's supposed to help speed up productivity on your computer can drag it down sooooo much.

True, but Superfetch only seems to act up twice a day on my computer: some time after I fire it up, and usually about six hours or so later. The slowdown lasts about 4-5 minutes (approximate). I can live with it now that I know what it is.

And I've only noticed it slowing things down if I'm online -- especially on sites that are memory intensive, like FB or something like that.

Offline DonovanJeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »
I had Windows 10 for a week before I rolled back to 7. I will not update to 10 ever. I'll take my chances.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:52 AM »
I had Windows 10 for a week before I rolled back to 7. I will not update to 10 ever. I'll take my chances.
Wish I could but this machine came with 10.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »

I tested it on an older computer, and did the same inside 36 hours.

Wish I could but this machine came with 10.

So did my games desktop. But I use it so little at the moment, it doesn't matter. But the little messages which pop up telling me the update didn't finish, is distracting sometimes.

Offline okey dokey

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
My Photoshop Elements had been working fine.
This morning it took almost an hour to load the Windows 10 upgrade.
Now the PE program doesn't work because I no longer have enough ram.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
My Photoshop Elements had been working fine.
This morning it took almost an hour to load the Windows 10 upgrade.
Now the PE program doesn't work because I no longer have enough ram.
That's the same thing. It's lying to you; you do have enough RAM. Get onto Adobe Chat and you can get an agent to take over your machine and fix it. OR the Adobe forum is saying they have a fix in their latest update, but I can't find it.